Inițiatorul discuției: Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germania
Local time: 01:54
din germană în franceză
+ ...
Feb 12, 2011

I use MemoQ on a machine with Office 2007 installed. When I shut it down in the evening, it will ask me as many times as I've imported doc-files in MemoQ during the day if I want to save the changes to the Word template. The procedure takes ages when I've worked on projects with a lot of small files.

When I asked why this happens, I wa
... See more
I use MemoQ on a machine with Office 2007 installed. When I shut it down in the evening, it will ask me as many times as I've imported doc-files in MemoQ during the day if I want to save the changes to the Word template. The procedure takes ages when I've worked on projects with a lot of small files.

When I asked why this happens, I was pointed to this link:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/CAT-Tools/MemoQ/FAQ#Microsoft_Office_2007_and_Office_versions_below_2000

Deleting the templates from the Word Startup folder and loading them only when needed, as suggested there, is not an option for me, though, as I need them all the time.

Has anybody found an acceptable workaround for this problem? I seriously am on the edge of giving up on MemoQ because of it.
Collapse

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Ungaria
din engleză în maghiară
workarounds Feb 12, 2011

Hello Francoise,

Continuing our support conversation...

You could ensure that no Word windows are open when you work with memoQ. (More specifically, ensure that no instances of Word are running, you could use the Task manager to check and "kill" any instances of Winword.exe.)

The problem is simply not solvable "cleanly" far as I know: with the new template format of Word 2007 (and probably a
... See more
Hello Francoise,

Continuing our support conversation...

You could ensure that no Word windows are open when you work with memoQ. (More specifically, ensure that no instances of Word are running, you could use the Task manager to check and "kill" any instances of Winword.exe.)

The problem is simply not solvable "cleanly" far as I know: with the new template format of Word 2007 (and probably above, I'm not sure how Word 2010 behaves), you always run into problems with more than one instance of Word running. And memoQ needs to run its own copies for specific tasks.

It might also help to understand when memoQ needs to run Word for help. You could ask yourself if you can avoid these.

-Spellchecking with the Office checker. Hunspell is not affected.
-Import of .doc files (and .rtf, depending on the settings, or if review creation is turned on).
-Creating preview for .docx files. Importing .docx files with preview creation off is not affected.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, let's hope that some Word gurus can come up with something more.

Gergely
Collapse

Francoise Perigaut
Francoise Perigaut
Germania
din germană în franceză
+ ...
INIŢIATORUL SUBIECTULUI
Thanks Feb 12, 2011

Just closing Word each time I will work with MemoQ would be the easiest solution indeed.
But I'm so used to always have Word open, I use it all the time, for me it is just a "makeshift" solution.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with Word template (Office 2007)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »