translatol
translatol
Local time: 12:31
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
You can realise your dream Jun 19, 2004

Dear Pamela,

A few thoughts.

1) No, you're not too old yet. Indeed I think most conference interpretation teachers would say that they prefer MATURE students. One reason is that interpreting requires not only language proficiency but also knowledge of the world and of as many fields of human activity as possible. Another is that interpreters need the judgement to make assured snap decisions. Translation experience is also an advantage. I began conference interpreting my
... See more
Dear Pamela,

A few thoughts.

1) No, you're not too old yet. Indeed I think most conference interpretation teachers would say that they prefer MATURE students. One reason is that interpreting requires not only language proficiency but also knowledge of the world and of as many fields of human activity as possible. Another is that interpreters need the judgement to make assured snap decisions. Translation experience is also an advantage. I began conference interpreting myself at age 37, though I had already done liaison interpreting.

2) You seem to imply that only conference interpreters are "REAL interpreters." Perhaps I've misread you. But anyway, there are branches of liaison interpreting - court interpreting and community interpreting in particular - that are becoming more and more professionalised and offer good future prospects. What's more, liaison interpreting can carry just as much responsibility and be just as stressful as conference interpreting. This is not to deny that conference interpreting still has big advantages: the pay and the opportunities to travel are the most obvious. But meanwhile try to get more liaison interpreting.

3) It's been suggested that you learn one of the less common languges. Let me draw your attention to one that is, so to speak, on all our doorsteps. It's sign language for the deaf. It's not easy to learn, but there is local demand in every country because different countries use different sign language, so interpreters can't be brought in from elsewhere. There are many professional sign language interpreters in some countries.

4) What others have said about the possibility of training on your own is right, although a good teacher undoubtedly helps a lot and on your own you won't get the criticism you need. Most of the conference interpreters of my generation (I'm retired now) had no formal training - we were thrown in at the deep end to sink or swim.

5) Up till now the biggest obstacle to distance training for conference interpretation has been the technology. But there is hope on the horizon. A university near me (in Spain) recently installed a completely digitalised training lab that their students can access by internet.

So good luck and dare to do it.

Brian Harris

Pamela Brizzola wrote:

I wonder whether you are willing to read what the dream of my life was. It'll probably take a couple of minutes.
When I was 7, our general teacher (at the Italian primary school you had only two teachers in the '70s) recommended our parents to spend a few Liras to buy an English book. All the parents agreed and we, the pupils, had a brand new English book the week after.
"What's that?" "That's a horse"
This is the first sentences I learnt.
All began from there.
In the pages of that book I started to nourish my dream. Since then I've always perceived that my future would be "English". Actually, I couldn't know it rationally, but I felt it.
Now I'm 34 and I'm not an interpreter, but a translator. I couldn't attend Interpreting at university for family reasons and I graduated in Foreign Languages and specialized in translation. I've worked in this industry for 10 years now, but still my dream is there: being a conference/simultaneous interpreter.
Although I believe I'm a good translator, I feel I've not achieved my dream.
I hope that you, REAL interpreters, don't think I'm silly.
Sometimes I also do liason interpreting and I like it MADLY. Everybody is happy with my work when interpreting.
Here comes my question.
I know I will never become a conference interpreter now, but I would like to give myself a try by training, somehow.
I think that interpreters are MAGICIANS, semi-Gods, from my point of view.
Since I've establish my own business and cannot leave the office for more than a few days, can you help me find on-line/distance training for interpreters with on-site tutorials/evaluations?
Anything that can help me plunge into interpreting. I might become a "simultanous interpreter" for my family: better than nothing.
Can dreams come true?
Pamela

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:38]

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:39]

[Edited at 2004-05-18 10:51]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-18 11:07]
Collapse

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

on-line/distance training for interpreters

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »