How can I include accents in my email text?
Thread poster: erudite (X)
erudite (X)
erudite (X)
Local time: 01:35
French to English
+ ...
Aug 11, 2003

Hello,
I often have to send e-mithers in French. However I have a QWERTY keyboard and I don't know how to produce the accented letters I require. I use Outlook express and hotmail, any ideas?
Thank-you,
Rachel

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:35
French to English
+ ...
Very good question... Aug 11, 2003

...and one to which I don't have the answer! It's one of those things I always wanted to know but never got round to asking! Normally send things as attachments if they MUST have accentd, but I would like to know how it's done in the body of the e-mail.

Paul

Doru Voin
Doru Voin  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 03:35
English to Romanian
+ ...
Use ASCII codes Aug 11, 2003

alt + 0238 is î, alt + 0233 is é and so on
You can find these codes in your Character Map utility

Regards from Bucharest,
Doru

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Send the text as a Word attachment, Aug 11, 2003

as there is not yet a reliable way to ensure that any characters which are not of the basic Latin chracter set will be sent correctly, and that depends not on your computer, but on settings of varios servers your mail pass through, e.g., if there is one server with 7 bit encoding on the way, none of your accented characters will be displayed correctly at the receivers end.

Uldis

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
HTML Aug 11, 2003

If your email client allows you to send/receive email in HTML format, this should get round your problem.

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
language bar Aug 11, 2003

Depending on your computer operating system, but assuming its Windows 98 or later, you can set another language in your keyboard settings (or language bar for win XP). This way, you can click on the little language icon (usually next to the system tray) and change language, although you'll have to remember where the characters you want are on the keyboard. I do this for one of my laptops which has a US keyboard. I stuck little accent markers on the keys they would be if the keyboard was Italian ... See more
Depending on your computer operating system, but assuming its Windows 98 or later, you can set another language in your keyboard settings (or language bar for win XP). This way, you can click on the little language icon (usually next to the system tray) and change language, although you'll have to remember where the characters you want are on the keyboard. I do this for one of my laptops which has a US keyboard. I stuck little accent markers on the keys they would be if the keyboard was Italian and so I can access Italian accents that way.Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:35
French to English
Add French keyboard layout Aug 11, 2003

Hi Rachel,

You can add different keyboard layouts without having to change keyboards.

I have both English and French Canadian set up on mine, and to switch between the two, I press Alt+Shift.

To add a French keyboard, go to Control Panel, Keyboard. In Windows 2000 Professional, it's under a tab called Input Locales. There you can add any keyboard layout you want and decide which key combination you want to switch between them.

Once that's insta
... See more
Hi Rachel,

You can add different keyboard layouts without having to change keyboards.

I have both English and French Canadian set up on mine, and to switch between the two, I press Alt+Shift.

To add a French keyboard, go to Control Panel, Keyboard. In Windows 2000 Professional, it's under a tab called Input Locales. There you can add any keyboard layout you want and decide which key combination you want to switch between them.

Once that's installed, you'll just have to keep pressing keys to figure out where all the accented letters are.

HTH,

Erika
Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:35
Italian to English
+ ...
There's also english international layout. Aug 11, 2003

I've opted for the English - International layout. That way, I don't have to remember any extra keys. All I need to do is use the ', `, ~, ^, etc. keys in combination with the letter I want to modify ('+e = é, `+a = à, ~+n = ñ, ^+o = ô, etc.).

R.
==
Alexander Chisholm wrote:

Depending on your computer operating system, but assuming its Windows 98 or later, you can set another language in your keyboard settings (or language bar for win XP). This way, you can click on the little language icon (usually next to the system tray) and change language, although you'll have to remember where the characters you want are on the keyboard. I do this for one of my laptops which has a US keyboard. I stuck little accent markers on the keys they would be if the keyboard was Italian and so I can access Italian accents that way.

Elena Romano
Elena Romano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:35
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Complete ASCII Table Aug 11, 2003

I've been using this table when I didn't have a French keyboard, and it's simply wonderful! You press ALT key + number in the table:

http://www.worldnames.net/unicode/alt-codes-for-symbols.htm

Ciao,
Elena

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 02:35
English to French
+ ...
You never thought Aug 11, 2003

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

This way, you can click on the little language icon (usually next to the system tray) and change language, although you'll have to remember where the characters you want are on the keyboard. I do this for one of my laptops which has a US keyboard. I stuck little accent markers on the keys they would be if the keyboard was Italian and so I can access Italian accents that way.

to go to Accessories/Accessibility/On screen Keyboard?

You get a mini virtual keyboard on your screen that you can command from your real keyboard, so you do not have to mark the keys.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
You can write your email even in hieroglyphs, Aug 11, 2003

that's not the problem, the real problem is what your correspondent on the receiving end will see. And that may differ significantly- eg.- ???, ?????? (This is Chinese)

Uldis

Elena Romano wrote:

I've been using this table when I didn't have a French keyboard, and it's simply wonderful! You press ALT key + number in the table:

http://www.worldnames.net/unicode/alt-codes-for-symbols.htm

Ciao,
Elena

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Change your Keyboard properties Aug 12, 2003

In Control Panel, Keyboard, Keyboard Properties, I have English (United States) - Unites States International. All this is Windows 98.

I can write all indicated by Rick Henry, plus ç (\'+c). I use all of them (é, à, õ, ê, ç) to write in the Portuguese language.

António

[quote]Rick Henry wrote:

I\'ve opted for the English - International layout. That way, I don\'t have to remember any extra keys. All I need to do is use the \', `, ~, ^, etc. keys in combination with the letter I want to modify (\'+e = é, `+a = à, ~+n = ñ, ^+o = ô, etc.).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I include accents in my email text?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »