校对/审需要怎样的资格?此例的"校"并不添花
Thread poster: redred
Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:31
English to Chinese
+ ...
beautiful & handsome Apr 28, 2009

记得中学英语老师告诉我们,beautiful形容女孩子,handsome形容男孩子。handsome可以形容女孩子,那是读大学的时候知道的,当时学了一篇美国作家的短篇小说。昨天看Wives and Daughters的DVD,里面有一句,He's a beautiful boy. 是妈妈对女孩子夸奖自己的儿子。唉,我们的英语教育!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
Chinese to English
+ ...
see and watch Apr 28, 2009

Zhoudan wrote:

我从小到大接受的学校教育也是说,movie只能watch,不能see。看了Donglai的例子,查了一下金山词霸里面的美国传统词典,里面第19个词条:

To attend; view:
参观;观看:
Let's see a movie.
我们看电影去

又查网上的websters,看到这一条:http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/see
7. See or watch; "view a show on television"; "This program will be seen all over the world"; "view an exhibition"; "Catch a show on Broadway"; "see a movie".

所以see a movie是字典里都有的。我们学的东西太不靠谱了!

Donglai Lou wrote:

语言这东西有时是越学越迷糊,有许多约定俗成的“错误”用法挑战着语法的机械性。比如说,昨天收到了申请的电影会员卡。所附的信函中有一句“earn 10 points for every movie you see”。在大陆用90年前后英文课本的同学都知道,movie 只能 watch 不能 see,否则考试时绝对算你错。

"To go see a movie" 当然可以. 我记得前不久还提到过.

Let's see a movie tonight, let's watch a movie tonight 都可以.

http://www.proz.com/post/1063718#1063718

wherestip wrote:

I love British dramas. In general the stuff they put out are a lot more highbrow and intelligent than their Hollywood counterparts. Before the Oscar's, I made a point to go see "The Reader". I thought Kate Winslet's performance was superb.

Last night I watched the movie adaptation of "Brideshead Revisited"; the DVD came out not too long ago ... enjoyed it immensely.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 02:31
But in the present continous tense, Apr 28, 2009

you can only say: He is watching a movie.

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
be seeing a movie Apr 28, 2009

Bin Tiede wrote:

you can only say: He is watching a movie.

Hi! Bin Tiede,

if you look up "are seeing a moive" with quotes in Google, you can find quite a few instances:).

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
审校 Apr 28, 2009

redred wrote:

Report on the Work in 2008,我借用了温总理的政府工作报告标题;我更为需要商榷的是trust environment and market condition后是跟were还是was,常有A and B后面是跟is还是are这种情况,比较难区分。

redred,

我觉得 trust environment 翻成 credit environment 比较好些. market condition 最好用复数, 即 market conditions.

具体到这种情况下, 这两者之后应当用 "were".

我同意你说的. 就校审来讲, 我认为给 你作审议的确实作得比较差. 似乎只企图将你原有的句子顺一顺. 但我本人觉得根本没有改到点子上, 还不如不改. 这种校审完全没有起到校审的作用.

[Edited at 2009-04-28 16:08 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
see, watch, look at Apr 28, 2009

I agree with Steve. It all depends on the circumstance when we speak. Watch means to look at something for a period of time, usually something which moves or changes. Therefore, we can say “Let's see a movie tonight” because we are not watching the movie at the time when we speak. We can also say: “Have you seen that movie?” It is correct to say “I am going to see a movie” and “I am watching a movie”, but it is incorrect to say “I am seeing a movie”.

"I am <
... See more
I agree with Steve. It all depends on the circumstance when we speak. Watch means to look at something for a period of time, usually something which moves or changes. Therefore, we can say “Let's see a movie tonight” because we are not watching the movie at the time when we speak. We can also say: “Have you seen that movie?” It is correct to say “I am going to see a movie” and “I am watching a movie”, but it is incorrect to say “I am seeing a movie”.

"I am looking to see if anyone is watching me.”

Here are some good explanations from the Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English. Please pay special attention to the pink text box at the bottom of the page:

http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/see_1

see, watch, look at
See means to notice something with your eyes, either deliberately or accidentally
• I saw a great film last week.
• A few people saw him take the bag.

Watch means to deliberately pay attention to something for quite a long time
• They were all watching the game on TV.
• He watched her leave.

When you look at something, you deliberately turn your eyes towards it in order to see it
• There was a loud noise and everyone looked at the screen.
!! You can see something on television or watch television, but do not say 'see television'
• After I finish my homework I usually watch television.

wherestip wrote:

Zhoudan wrote:

To attend; view:
参观;观看:
Let's see a movie.
我们看电影去

7. See or watch; "view a show on television"; "This program will be seen all over the world"; "view an exhibition"; "Catch a show on Broadway"; "see a movie".

Donglai Lou wrote:

语言这东西有时是越学越迷糊,有许多约定俗成的“错误”用法挑战着语法的机械性。比如说,昨天收到了申请的电影会员卡。所附的信函中有一句“earn 10 points for every movie you see”。在大陆用90年前后英文课本的同学都知道,movie 只能 watch 不能 see,否则考试时绝对算你错。

"To go see a movie" 当然可以. 我记得前不久还提到过.

Let's see a movie tonight, let's watch a movie tonight 都可以.
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
beautiful, pretty, handsome, good-looking, attractive, gorgeous, stunning Apr 28, 2009

Zhoudan wrote:

记得中学英语老师告诉我们,beautiful形容女孩子,handsome形容男孩子。handsome可以形容女孩子,那是读大学的时候知道的,当时学了一篇美国作家的短篇小说。昨天看Wives and Daughters的DVD,里面有一句,He's a beautiful boy. 是妈妈对女孩子夸奖自己的儿子。唉,我们的英语教育!

Xiao Zhou,

Please see explanations at http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/beautiful

beautiful is used to describe someone, usually a woman or child, who is attractive in a very special and noticeable way.

pretty is usually used to describe a girl or woman who is good-looking, with regular features. It can also be used to describe a boy or young man who has an attractive but feminine face.

handsome is usually used to describe a man or boy who is good-looking, with strong regular features. It can also be used to describe a woman, usually an older woman, who has attractive but masculine features.

good-looking can be used to describe anyone who you think is nice to look at.

attractive is used to describe someone who looks good in a way that attracts sexual interest
• I can see he's handsome, but I don't find him very attractive.

gorgeous and stunning are emphatic ways of saying that someone is very attractive. Gorgeous is used mostly in spoken English.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
seeing a movie Apr 28, 2009

If we say “we are seeing a movie”, it means “we are planned/going to see a movie” sometimes later. It doesn’t mean “we are watching a movie” right now.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 02:31
True Apr 28, 2009

ysun wrote:

If we say “we are seeing a movie”, it means “we are planned/going to see a movie” sometimes later. It doesn’t mean “we are watching a movie” right now.

It actually means "We are going to see a movie".

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
谢谢 Apr 28, 2009

谢谢老孙找了这么多链接。

Zhoudan
English to Chinese
+ ...
fabulous Apr 28, 2009

看到老孙贴子里的Gorgeous,想到fabulous,这个词好像无所不在,到处可以用,翻译时看到它,每次都要思量很久。

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
jyuan_us is right Apr 29, 2009

wherestip wrote:

我同意你说的. 就校审来讲, 我认为给 你作审议的确实作得比较差. 似乎只企图将你原有的句子顺一顺. 但我本人觉得根本没有改到点子上, 还不如不改. 这种校审完全没有起到校审的作用.

[Edited at 2009-04-28 16:08 GMT]

正如jyuan_us所说,能改成没有错误就不错了。真要改成象我重译的那样,那校对人花的时间比翻译人还要多得多。

nigerose
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
see vs watch Apr 29, 2009

Zhoudan wrote:

To attend; view:
参观;观看:
Let's see a movie.
我们看电影去

我记得初中时学过“let's go to see a movie", 但看电视就要说“watch TV”。

nigerose
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
英汉句子结构的差异 Apr 29, 2009

英语句子中的每一个成分均可有修饰语,而且修饰语可以不止一个,每个修饰语都可以很长;一个修饰语还可被另一个修饰语修饰,因此句子结构复杂,犹如“参天大树,枝叶横生”,被称为“树状形结构”。汉语句子中修饰语少而短,句子由一个一个的分句构成,逐步展开,犹如”万顷碧波,层层推进”,被称为“波浪形结构”。

英译汉...就是要把一个一个的“树
... See more
英语句子中的每一个成分均可有修饰语,而且修饰语可以不止一个,每个修饰语都可以很长;一个修饰语还可被另一个修饰语修饰,因此句子结构复杂,犹如“参天大树,枝叶横生”,被称为“树状形结构”。汉语句子中修饰语少而短,句子由一个一个的分句构成,逐步展开,犹如”万顷碧波,层层推进”,被称为“波浪形结构”。

英译汉...就是要把一个一个的“树杈”转换成一层一层的“波浪”;反之,汉译英,就是要把一层一层的“波浪”转换成一个一个的“树杈”。

(卢敏主编《英汉笔译实务》2级第243-246页)

2008年是不平常的一年,金融危机爆发,国内外经济形势严峻,信托环境和市场条件恶劣,公司换证受阻,信托业务几乎陷入萎缩或停顿。在此环境条件下,我们坚守稳健经营与创新开拓并举,积极努力工作,取得一定 成绩。

The year 2008 was eventful, financial crisis broke out, economic situation withstood severe difficulties at home and abroad, trust environment and market condition were bad, license renew for company met obstacle, trust business almost went backward or suspended. Under such a circumstance, we held steady operation and renovation, made positive endeavor, fulfilled achievement to some extent. (这是redred的译文)

The year 2008 was really unusual for our company. The renewal of company license was frustrated and the trust business shrank or even met with a standstill due to the unfavorable trust environments and terrible market conditions brought about by the breaking out of global financial crisis and the resultant severe economic situations at home and abroad. Under such circumstances......(这是Nigerose的译文)

从卢老师那里学到的翻译理论,在这里有机会实践了一下。

[修改时间: 2009-04-29 01:27 GMT]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
校对的责任 Apr 29, 2009

nigerose wrote:

正如jyuan_us所说,能改成没有错误就不错了。

这我也同意. 问题是真正的措辞问题没有纠正. 修正的只是些鸡毛蒜皮无关紧要的东西. 校过的稿子几乎丝毫没有改进. 依我看不如不校.

[Edited at 2009-04-29 01:50 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

校对/审需要怎样的资格?此例的"校"并不添花

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »