Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 04:38
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solid converter, why? May 2, 2007

Ok, now i managed to open it but it still cannot be modified. When i touch it with the pointer, i cannot hit the text, it is as it is still an image and not text.
What now? I am about to scream..

[Modificato alle 2007-05-02 19:22]

Yasmin
Yasmin
German to English
+ ...
Copying to Word worked for me! May 2, 2007

patyjs wrote:

Hi Fran,
Here's what I do. Open the PDF file and hit select all from the edit menu. Copy this and then paste it to a blank Word doc. This always works for me but you have to be careful because sometimes some of the formatting is lost, like indentations or special characters. I usually have both docs open side by side to avoid slip-ups.
Hope this helps.....good luck!
Paty

I just tried this out, purely out of curiosity, and it worked! Of course, if you are doing it from a poorly scanned text as I was, not all the characters will copy perfectly to Word, but if you are desperate it might be worth a try!

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
The weekly question May 2, 2007

Mihaela BUFNILA wrote:

http://www.abbyy.com/finereader8/?param=44890

I am very happy with it. There is a trial version you can use. Then, when you have some time, have a look at it

Good luck,
Mihaela

Agree.

I went for this, following recommendations from several well-known and respected users of this portal. To pay for it, you may care to levy a surcharge for PDFs. Others do.

Copying and pasting into Word is a mess and if you want to use a CAT tool it can become a nightmare.

HTH
Chris

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Satto May 3, 2007

I use Adobe's TouchUp Text Tool. It's easy enough.

Go to Tools > Advanced Editing > TouchUp Text Tool
Click on the text you want to copy and select it.
Right click > Copy
Go to the Word dcmt
Edit > Paste

You can copy the whole text or just the part you need.

Hope it helps!

Graciela

Ellie Lormans
Ellie Lormans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
French to Dutch
+ ...
Solid converter May 3, 2007

leo van bragt wrote:

Hi Fran,

I have been trying these free pdf to word converting programs for months. There were always hickups. About two months ago, I downloaded Solid Converter. Costs about 50 USD, I think. That works very well. It also has a trial option, which is limited to five pages or something. But at least that gives you an idea whether it works or not. Has worked fine with all my pdf files though. Good luck, and let us know which one you have chosen!

Leo

I used Solid Converter for a while (I bought it years ago) and it does a good job. The word documents you create, are without mistakes. But there's a problem: if you use Déjà Vu (cat tool) to work on your translation, you cannont use the word document made with solid. It simply puts codes after almost every word when you import the file into DVX. I don't know if it works for other cat tools.
Anyway, I use Finereader now. I used finereader 7, but just changed to Vista, so have to see if it's compatible.
Ellie
FR>NL

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Does it have to be converted? May 3, 2007

Ask your client first.

Mihaela BUFNILA wrote:

... "look" at it.

Agree. Look at it (or print it) and translate.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Two types of PDF May 3, 2007

Francesca's PDF file seems to be a scanned text image.

So the well-meaning suggestions to mark and copy the text from the PDF or to use SolidConverter, the full version of Acrobat or other text extraction tools are no help in this case.

For the record: I use and like SolidConverter - for PDF files that are created on a computer and contain ***real*** text (i.e. you can mark and highlight individual words in the text).

But SolidConverter is no use for scanne
... See more
Francesca's PDF file seems to be a scanned text image.

So the well-meaning suggestions to mark and copy the text from the PDF or to use SolidConverter, the full version of Acrobat or other text extraction tools are no help in this case.

For the record: I use and like SolidConverter - for PDF files that are created on a computer and contain ***real*** text (i.e. you can mark and highlight individual words in the text).

But SolidConverter is no use for scanned text images. Here you need an OCR program (Optical Character Recognition). I use Abbyy FineReader. There are other programs on the market.

In either case, you usually need to post-edit the extracted text before you translate it (especially if you use a CAT tool). Extracted text, especially OCR text, is likely to include scanning errors, words running together, unnecessarily complicated layout features, incorrect text sequence etc.
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ABBYY, yay! May 3, 2007

Oh Victor, I must thank you very very much because I FINALLY managed to translate those files. They were OCR, and that is why nothing else was working. Unfortunately Vista gave me some problem because sometimes it does not open the converted .doc files.
Many of the scanned texts were such a pain to my eyes..Such a bad resolution..It was impossible to even guess some words. I told the client i could not understand them and then left them as they were..
I am still so afraid to lose th
... See more
Oh Victor, I must thank you very very much because I FINALLY managed to translate those files. They were OCR, and that is why nothing else was working. Unfortunately Vista gave me some problem because sometimes it does not open the converted .doc files.
Many of the scanned texts were such a pain to my eyes..Such a bad resolution..It was impossible to even guess some words. I told the client i could not understand them and then left them as they were..
I am still so afraid to lose the "clean" version, I saved it on the computer but I still haven't closed the program..

Thank you for the suggestion!!! Thank you Mihaela, she was the first suggesting it but it took too much to download and I gave up, trying SolidConverter who seemed quicker.

But I am still thinking of downgrading to the dear old XP..

Don't know..

bof..

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
Fran
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pdf to word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »