Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86] >
Corona quarantine diary
Autor de la hebra: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 17:19
español a inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Doom and gloom (continued) Apr 6

Along with Madrid and the surrounding area, and Catalonia too, we're one of the red-alert zones. And considering the crowded beaches during Easter and crowds everywhere else too, not least those who turned out in large numbers to send off both football teams for the final last week (and turned up again in equally large numbers to welcome them back), no social distance, and not many masks either. The Basque Government will be bringing out an assessment of the situation in a few days, and nobody t... See more
Along with Madrid and the surrounding area, and Catalonia too, we're one of the red-alert zones. And considering the crowded beaches during Easter and crowds everywhere else too, not least those who turned out in large numbers to send off both football teams for the final last week (and turned up again in equally large numbers to welcome them back), no social distance, and not many masks either. The Basque Government will be bringing out an assessment of the situation in a few days, and nobody thinks it's going to be good news either.

Still, they managed to pull off a marathon AstraZeneca vaccination stint here during Easter. In the larger picture, the Spanish authorities had been hoping to have everyone vaccinated by the end of the summer, but that was just wishful thinking, and it'll be more like September/October now.

[Edited at 2021-04-06 09:50 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Chris S
expressisverbis

Chris S  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
Never-ending cycle Apr 6

After cunningly keeping all the vaccines for ourselves, we thought we were on the home straight, unlike all you dirty continentals who never did wash your hands, but now they’ve started talking about another wave here too in the autumn due to new variants capable of evading even our Great British vaccine (you know, the one that only works half as well as the other ones and may or may not have fatal side-effects, but is still just as good or better because we made it ourselves). Will this blood... See more
After cunningly keeping all the vaccines for ourselves, we thought we were on the home straight, unlike all you dirty continentals who never did wash your hands, but now they’ve started talking about another wave here too in the autumn due to new variants capable of evading even our Great British vaccine (you know, the one that only works half as well as the other ones and may or may not have fatal side-effects, but is still just as good or better because we made it ourselves). Will this bloody thing never end?Collapse

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Side-effects Apr 6

What they don't ever say about AstraZeneca - it's the only one I know about, used in the Easter Shot Marathon here - is that you can feel pretty queasy for a day or even two days afterwards, although of course this varies from person to person. Which might even be construed as a kind of encouraging consolation, because it means that they're giving you something rather potent to combat something equally potent. I haven't been called yet, but I'm up for a bit of short-term queasiness.

Chris S
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
Statistics Apr 6

Well yes, best assume a couple of days off work just in case. According to the leaflet you get after (but not before) the jab, flu-like symptoms occur in “more than one in ten” people. So, anything between 11 (arguably 20) and 100 per cent. Talk about scientific precision...

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Days off Apr 6

That's great. I'll talk to the boss about a couple of days off, maybe even three to make sure. That'll be one in the eye for him, the miserable Paddy git.

Chris S
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
inglés a checo
Little photoreporting from my Covid vaccination Apr 6

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2021-04/05/CS/00.html

Ostrava, Černá Louka /black meadow/, pavilion "A"

First dose 8.3.2021 and second dose 5.4.2021.

No waiting before vaccination.

Milan

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
AstraZeneca Apr 8

Big, big cafuffle over here with the AZ vaccine. They've now suspended it for the under-60s. Thing is, which vaccine are they going to use instead? PM Sánchez promised just the other day that - I'm doing this from memory - about a third of the population would be vaccinated by May/June, then about half of them, and finally about 75% by the end of the summer, something like that. Great expectations. If you have the vaccines to vaccinate them, that is. Everyone seems to be flogging vaccines nowad... See more
Big, big cafuffle over here with the AZ vaccine. They've now suspended it for the under-60s. Thing is, which vaccine are they going to use instead? PM Sánchez promised just the other day that - I'm doing this from memory - about a third of the population would be vaccinated by May/June, then about half of them, and finally about 75% by the end of the summer, something like that. Great expectations. If you have the vaccines to vaccinate them, that is. Everyone seems to be flogging vaccines nowadays, though, so there's bound to be one out there that fits the bill. I'm thinking of putting one together myself.

[Edited at 2021-04-08 10:45 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
Egg on face Apr 8

Similar picture emerging here, with the government now looking to give young people different vaccines.

I do hope they had the foresight to buy up all of them too.

I am by nature cynical of government, and the ethics are seriously questionable, but I have to say whoever in Whitehall decided to snap up 99% of the global supply of jabs just for Blighty was very much on the top of his or her game. Shame he or she wasn’t in charge of the rest of the shitshow.

... See more
Similar picture emerging here, with the government now looking to give young people different vaccines.

I do hope they had the foresight to buy up all of them too.

I am by nature cynical of government, and the ethics are seriously questionable, but I have to say whoever in Whitehall decided to snap up 99% of the global supply of jabs just for Blighty was very much on the top of his or her game. Shame he or she wasn’t in charge of the rest of the shitshow.

I just hope feeling bored at work isn’t a precursor to a blood clot.
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis

P.L.F.Persio  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2010
inglés a italiano
+ ...
I want the Russian one, obv. Apr 8

On the other hand, having turned 18 in December, I reckon I'm never going to be vaccinated. My teenage, chirpy antibodies will take care of the virus in their youthful, devil-may-care attitude.

Mervyn Henderson
Chris S
Zibow Retailleau
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

España
español a inglés
+ ...
18 Apr 8

Congrats, PLF!!! Big 18. Now you can finally do whatever you want. You can drink alcohol, you can check out the coffee shops in the Netherlands, you can vote, you can pay taxes and social security too, and you can even get sent to prison if the fancy takes you, all that go-to stuff. Enjoy!

P.L.F.Persio
Kay Denney
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Reino Unido
sueco a inglés
+ ...
Congratulations Apr 8

Hey, Portia, how YOU doin’?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEI3K5q6iM

[Edited at 2021-04-08 17:10 GMT]

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson

Países Bajos
Miembro 2010
inglés a italiano
+ ...
Thanks for asking, Chris! Apr 8

Chris S wrote:

Hey, Portia, how YOU doin’?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un41oly0Iu8

Well, I used to feel that way for the whole second decade of my life, most part of the third, and a bit of the fourth too.

Now that I'm approaching old age, I feel more cheerful and optimistic, with a bittersweet aftertaste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHJ3iZpfBRI

[Edited at 2021-04-08 13:25 GMT]

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson
Chris S
expressisverbis

España
español a inglés
+ ...
Old age Apr 9

Old age, real old age, Portia, is anywhere between 80 and death, so you have a good 40-odd years left yet. I'm sure you'll put them to exquisite use!!!

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Países Bajos
Miembro 2010
inglés a italiano
+ ...
Exquisite, moi!? Apr 10

This is the kind of old fart I wish to become, in this immortal poem by Lewis Carroll:

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head —
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," father William replied to his son,
"I feared it would injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again a
... See more
This is the kind of old fart I wish to become, in this immortal poem by Lewis Carroll:

"You are old, father William," the young man said,
"And your hair has become very white;
And yet you incessantly stand on your head —
Do you think, at your age, it is right?"

"In my youth," father William replied to his son,
"I feared it would injure the brain;
But now that I'm perfectly sure I have none,
Why, I do it again and again."

"You are old," said the youth, "as I mentioned before,
And have grown most uncommonly fat;
Yet you turned a back-somersault in at the door —
Pray, what is the reason of that?"

"In my youth," said the sage, as he shook his grey locks,
"I kept all my limbs very supple
By the use of this ointment — one shilling the box —
Allow me to sell you a couple."

"You are old," said the youth, "and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the beak —
Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life."

"You are old," said the youth; one would hardly suppose
That your eye was as steady as ever;
Yet you balanced an eel on the end of your nose —
What made you so awfully clever?"

"I have answered three questions, and that is enough,"
Said his father; "don't give yourself airs!
Do you think I can listen all day to such stuff?
Be off, or I'll kick you down stairs!"

PS for lovely Chris: That a was a huge Swoosh! over my head. Sorry, my dear, as it is more than apparent now, I didn't get the Friends quote; I've almost never watched that show, and I didn't like the few bits I have.

[Edited at 2021-04-10 13:42 GMT]
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau

España
español a inglés
+ ...
WestEnders - Liz and Phil - Part 1 Apr 10

Following the demise of HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, the BBC has come up with its own kind of homage in a new series called “WestEnders - Liz and Phil”, everyday tales of a happy-go-lucky regal-class couple who run the Queen Mum Pub in Ballford, London – their joys, their sorrows, their triumphs and failures, their ups and downs, their trials and tribulations. Here’s a snippet - non-natives may require a Cockney translator:

“Liz? Liz? Get your
... See more
Following the demise of HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, the BBC has come up with its own kind of homage in a new series called “WestEnders - Liz and Phil”, everyday tales of a happy-go-lucky regal-class couple who run the Queen Mum Pub in Ballford, London – their joys, their sorrows, their triumphs and failures, their ups and downs, their trials and tribulations. Here’s a snippet - non-natives may require a Cockney translator:

“Liz? Liz? Get your arris in ‘ere quick, gel, for Gawd’s sake!”

“Wot’s your row, Phil? Wot is it? Lumme, I dunno, as if I didn’t have enough to do around this bladdy rub-a-dub-dub. Well? Well?”

“It’s these cucumber saaandwiches, darlin’. Look - wot’s all that dark edging on them?”

“Dark edging? Don’t be soft, Phil. That’s just the crust, that is. The bit on the outside wot gets browned when the baker shoves it in the oven and it’s directly exposed to 'igh temperatures, innit?”

“Directly exposed? Browned? Don’t you get all technical on me, you daft cow. Is that wot it is, crust? Saaarnies wiv the crust still on? I never heard the like, strike me dahn and ‘ope to die if I ‘ave. ‘Oo would eat somefink like thaaat, Lizzie?”

‘Oo? ‘Oo? Millions of my loyal subjects, that’s ‘oo, for a start, our Phil. You can get dahn off that ‘igh ‘orse of yours, lad. Won’t do you a bit of ‘arm. And they ain’t sarnies, neither. They’re canapes, you bladdy hick. A bunch, Phil. A bunch.”

“Ca-wot? Bunch?”

“You silly sod, don’t you even speak the Queen’s Cockney? ‘Bunch of grapes – canapes’.”

“Thaaat? Canapes? No, no, no, no, no, ‘canapes’ don’t got two sybbalels, it’s got FREE sybbalels, innit? Canapés. Ca. Na. Pays. Wiv one of those French fings on it. So it ain’t no ‘bunch’ in Cockney, Lizzie lassie, it’s ‘appy. ‘Appy days – canapés’, you silly moo”.

“All right, all right, Mr Bleeding Philip of Greece and Denmark what woz, you can just less it with the silly moo stuff, me old son. It’s Madam to you. Or Mum. Or Mrs Windsor. Or Your Majesty. Or Your Royal ‘Ighness. Or maybe you'd prefer “Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Commonwealth”, sunshine?

“Well, never mind all that, love, I want to talk to you about the faaaaamily. That grandson’s been and gorn and let the side down again, innee? Ups and leaves and takes off wiv that bladdy la-di-dah painted trollop, and now both of them are over there badmouthing The Firm. It’s Cry-Baby Di-Baby all over again."

"I blame the parents meself, Liz, yer, I do, straight up. I told ‘Arry’s dad, I told ‘im, you know, I said, This is what ‘appens, Chaz, when you don’t pack the kids off to Gordonstoun. Gives them spirit, son. Builds character. Didn’t do me no ‘arm, and you neither, lad, I told him. Oh, Lizzie, the pride I felt all them years ago when the 'eadmastah at Gordonstoun told me the uvvah kids was practically queueing up on the rugby field for the honour of kicking the future Charles III in the goolies during the scrums. They don’t do that to just anybody, Chaz, I told ‘im, know what that means, son, that means you’ve arrived, yes, it does, you mark my words, I said. But you shoulda been tougher on 'Arry and that Megwoman, my love. You shoulda told it to them straight, “Oh, wanna leave, do you? Well, go on, then, clear off, get aht of my realm, but don’t be expecting any goodies, now”. That’s what you should of telled them, Liz.”

“You nevah said a more truer word, Phil. But yes, too right we gotta talk. I’ll put on a brew, shall I? You always feel better after a cuppa, doncha fink? As Old Granny Victoria used to tell my dad, a cuppa a day flushes bad stuff away … In more ways than one, Phil, n-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-rrrr!!”

TO BE CONTINUED (Maybe. Possibly. Who knows.)

[Edited at 2021-04-10 14:21 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-10 14:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-10 14:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-10 14:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-10 20:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-10 21:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-11 06:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-11 13:47 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
Chris S
expressisverbis
Matthias Brombach
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search