Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >
What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?
Thread poster: WolfestoneGroup
LINHARES
LINHARES  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:35
English to Portuguese
XTM Dec 14, 2015

I have been using XTM for a few years now and all I can say is good things about this Cat Tool. Its functionality and features are amazing. It supports lots of formats and the intarface is pretty easy to use. The version 9.0 works even better now. Who needs Trados? Too expensive and lots of features that probably no one will use anyway. Good job XTM, keep it up!!!

Elias

Beniamin Mirek
Beniamin Mirek
Poland
Local time: 02:35
English to Polish
Who needs Trados? - good one Jan 18, 2016

LINHARES wrote:

Who needs Trados? Too expensive and lots of features that probably no one will use anyway. Good job XTM, keep it up!!!

Elias

From my point of view, on the contrary, XTM provides no more capabilities than Microsoft Word. Perhaps, translating with Word would be even faster.
Here is why:
- no dictionary like Trados or Across has is a terrible flaw,
- lack of responsiveness and speed like of Trados,
- constant troubles with server connection,
- too much dependant on vulnerable and poor framework (i.e. every browser),
- permanent troubles with QA check
- very poor capacity of contextual autopropagation...

Should I continue? If someone tries to tell me that this thing is comparable to Trados... Then you have probably never used Trados.

[Edited at 2016-01-18 09:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-01-18 09:04 GMT]

Tom in London
Andrea Torre
Stepan Konev
Tomislav Vičić

XTM Cloud Jan 18, 2016

Dear Mirek,

Thank you for your comments. We are working hard with our development team in Poznań to bring XTM up to the same level of functionality as desktop clients. We have a very ambitious road map and you should see many new features appearing this year.

Regarding some of the QA and auto-propagation issues, please always contact [email protected]. Our support team is a great starting point regarding und
... See more
Dear Mirek,

Thank you for your comments. We are working hard with our development team in Poznań to bring XTM up to the same level of functionality as desktop clients. We have a very ambitious road map and you should see many new features appearing this year.

Regarding some of the QA and auto-propagation issues, please always contact [email protected]. Our support team is a great starting point regarding understanding XTM functionality and how to use it as well as connectivity issues please. We recommend using the latest version of Firefox for XTM.

XTM is used every day by thousands of translators and we always aim to provide the best possible service to our customers. This is a testament to our development and support teams.

Please feel free to contact me directly on [email protected] if you wish to discuss XTM future plans. I am always interested in working directly with translators regarding functionality etc. to constantly improve XTM.

Best Regards,

Andrzej Zydroń, CTO XTM Internationsl
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pure, unadulterated crap. Nov 19, 2017

Horrible, time-consuming, not intuitive at all.

I hate that "alt+0" thing to place tags.
I hate that there is no "copy source" or, if there is, that it is hidden somewhere.
I hate that, in 99% matches, it bundles ALL tags at the end of the segment instead of keeping them in place. I have to use Alt+0 ten times just because a number changes from 1.1 to 1.2.
I hate that when I press "repetition", it filters ALL repetitions, when what I really want is to insert that
... See more
Horrible, time-consuming, not intuitive at all.

I hate that "alt+0" thing to place tags.
I hate that there is no "copy source" or, if there is, that it is hidden somewhere.
I hate that, in 99% matches, it bundles ALL tags at the end of the segment instead of keeping them in place. I have to use Alt+0 ten times just because a number changes from 1.1 to 1.2.
I hate that when I press "repetition", it filters ALL repetitions, when what I really want is to insert that effing repetition. Haven't you heard about INTUITIVE?
I hate that when I press "fuzzy repetition" it DOES NOT copy the fuzzy repetition, but sends me to the segment that has that repetition. Why the blazes would I want to go there? I ALREADY TRANSLATED THAT!
I hate that when I click the mouse cursor in the middle of the segment, IT WON'T WORK. It only works if I click at the beginning or at the end, forcing me to click and THEN use the arrow keys.

I would have finished this job already if it weren't for that accursed thing. And yes, I'm ranting here because I want to rant somewhere.

[Editado a las 2017-11-20 10:07 GMT]
Collapse

Jakov Milicevic
Vickie Dimitriadou
Tomislav Vičić

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
XTM is easier than it seems Nov 20, 2017

Dear Edwal,

We understand that switching for a single task to a different CAT environment than you work in every day can be disturbing at first. It is a similar situation when you move from Android to iOS or upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

However, placing tags in XTM is very easy. You can choose one of the ways to do it:
- Use Alt+0 and select the tag.
- Instead you can press Alt+1-9 to insert an opening or a closing tag with a specific number, so y
... See more
Dear Edwal,

We understand that switching for a single task to a different CAT environment than you work in every day can be disturbing at first. It is a similar situation when you move from Android to iOS or upgrade to a newer version of Windows.

However, placing tags in XTM is very easy. You can choose one of the ways to do it:
- Instead you can press Alt+1-9 to insert an opening or a closing tag with a specific number, so you can reduce the effort to one key stroke.
- You can first select a piece of text to be embrace in tags and then press alt+1-9 to apply both the opening and the closing tag in one go.
- Then, if you prefer working more with your mouse, you can simple drag and drop tags in the correct position.

Coping source to target is easy too. You can do it by yourself for specific segments using a customizable shortcut or populate all target segments without matches. Both shortcuts and the latter option are available in the Editor's settings.

Moreover, repetitions do not always have to be the same due to noun vs verb usage and other conditions. The button you used lets you change translation of repetitions for segments where it is necessary.

When you want to insert a fuzzy match or a repetition, you have to click the tick icon to the right or use a keyboard shortcut. The "fuzzy repetition" button lets you quickly jump to the fuzzy/repetition origin to correct translation when you have not noticed before that there is an error.

There is good logic behind these features. Maybe it is confusing at first but in the long run it helps you care more about the quality of translation.

When you work in any CAT for the first time, it is always recommended to do some basic customization and give yourself a few minutes to understand the interface better or test this & that. It can greatly increase your productivity and help you avoid unnecessary frustration.

We hope that going forward your experience with XTM will be much better as you customize it more to your needs.

For those seeking advice on XTM, please check out our knowledge base
New articles are added regularly.

Best regards,
XTM Support
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:35
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

What about the jumping screen? Nov 20, 2017

Thanks for the additional info. However, one of my big frustrations (along with everything enumerated above) is that your drag and drop feature is impossible because no matter where you click on the page, no matter which segment, the page realigns itself constantly. So your drag and drop turns into a forbidden sign (nought) and you've wasted more precious time trying to highlight to drag and drop and now trying to highlight to copy-paste.

quote:
if you prefer working more with
... See more
Thanks for the additional info. However, one of my big frustrations (along with everything enumerated above) is that your drag and drop feature is impossible because no matter where you click on the page, no matter which segment, the page realigns itself constantly. So your drag and drop turns into a forbidden sign (nought) and you've wasted more precious time trying to highlight to drag and drop and now trying to highlight to copy-paste.

quote:
if you prefer working more with your mouse, you can simple drag and drop tags in the correct position
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
XTM is evolving Nov 21, 2017

Dear Nancy,

The standard translation process assumes completion of a segment before moving to another one. In XTM, only one segment can be active at a time which is a characteristic common to most CAT tools. When you use mouse to navigate between segments, the first click activates a segment, and another click can initiate some action. Any action triggered always applies to the currently active segment. That protects you from accidental edits to inactive segments such as tag misplac
... See more
Dear Nancy,

The standard translation process assumes completion of a segment before moving to another one. In XTM, only one segment can be active at a time which is a characteristic common to most CAT tools. When you use mouse to navigate between segments, the first click activates a segment, and another click can initiate some action. Any action triggered always applies to the currently active segment. That protects you from accidental edits to inactive segments such as tag misplacement.

Methods vary but it is more ergonomic to enter translation first and only then drag and drop tags into the correct position. Following this sequence, tag placement is no effort, and even though segments open and close (as they do in Tag Editor, just differently) the behavior becomes an expected part of the translation process.

At the same time we recognize your argument and take it into account. XTM is evolving, a while ago it gained a docked panel with concordance that was later extended with the term recognition pane. XTM will change more in the future to improve your experience and productivity.

At this point, we can say that navigation between segments will be improved and the feature is under development.

Best regards,
XTM Support
Collapse

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm a translator, not a programmer. Nov 22, 2017

XTM Intl wrote:

- Instead you can press Alt+1-9 to insert an opening or a closing tag with a specific number, so you can reduce the effort to one key stroke.
- You can first select a piece of text to be embrace in tags and then press alt+1-9 to apply both the opening and the closing tag in one go.
- Then, if you prefer working more with your mouse, you can simple drag and drop tags in the correct position.

The thing is, I shouldn't have to press Alt+0 when it's a 99% match, the tags should be automatically in place instead of bunched up at the end. It means that in a tag-rich segment, such as Idml, I have to, first, DELETE all tags and THEN do "Alt+0" 10-12 times instead of just changing one number/letter. In the practice, it negates all the time-saving of having matches.

Next, I cannot drag and drop tags in the correct position because the mouse only works at the end or beginning of the segment, not in the middle.

Coping source to target is easy too. You can do it by yourself for specific segments using a customizable shortcut or populate all target segments without matches. Both shortcuts and the latter option are available in the Editor's settings.

It's easy for you, who made the program, to guess where it is. Is it too hard to place a "copy source" button at the side? It would be a lot more useful than some of the buttons that are already there.

At this point, we can say that navigation between segments will be improved and the feature is under development.

For a software that has been there for years, I find hard to believe that something so basic has not been fixed yet.

Filip Wozniak
Claudio Porcellana (X)

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
You can insert fuzzy matches without tags Nov 24, 2017

Dear Edwal,

Tags added at the end of fuzzy matches do not come from the fuzzy match they are shown with. They are placed in the segment to simplify entering translation in between them. Of course, this is not always helpful, for example in tag rich segments.

For this reason inserting matches with tags is not obligatory. Instead, you can insert matches without tags, so that you do not have to remove them later from the segment. There are two ways to insert matches withou
... See more
Dear Edwal,

Tags added at the end of fuzzy matches do not come from the fuzzy match they are shown with. They are placed in the segment to simplify entering translation in between them. Of course, this is not always helpful, for example in tag rich segments.

For this reason inserting matches with tags is not obligatory. Instead, you can insert matches without tags, so that you do not have to remove them later from the segment. There are two ways to insert matches without inline tags:
- to click the Write match without inlines button
- to use the specified keyboard shortcut Write match without inlines

The issue you are having with drag and drop is most likely caused by your browser. User experience in Chrome is far better and such migration should solve your problem.

At the same time I would like to encourage you to check XTM documentation, where you should find answers to other questions you may have.
For example, in our documentation you can quickly find the shortcuts for copying source to target and for other features.

You can access XTM User Manual when you are logged in to your XTM account: click the Cog icon in the top right corner of the screen, then Help and information.
The same link to XTM User Manual is available in the documentation section of XTM website: http://www2.xtm-intl.com/content/xtm-manual.pdf

When you cannot find the information you need in the manual, you are welcome to contact our support directly at [email protected] or use the contact form at https://xtm-intl.com/contact/.

Best regards,
XTM Support
Collapse

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Resizing the browser window and text Dec 14, 2017

A habitual user of DVX2 (yes, there are some dinosaurs left) I've just done my first project using XTM.

The interface doesn't seem to resize to fit my browser window (Firefox). If I make the window smaller, the interface doesn't shrink to fit.

Also, I couldn't immediately find a way of resizing the text, which is much smaller than I prefer.

I can configure both of these features almost to infinity with DVX.

Have I missed something?

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
English to Czech
XTM is a time killer! Jan 10, 2019

I'm now using XTM Editor for 3 larger jobs (I have used it also before) and I must say that it is very slow when you need to change things and you have a lot of repetitions and instances of a specific term you need to change. First of all, pages with segments are loading slowly, like 20 seconds and as for propagating changes, XTM is hopeless. BTW I have a fast internet connection (100 mbps) Example: I needed to change the translation of More from Další to Více. I changed the first segment, we... See more
I'm now using XTM Editor for 3 larger jobs (I have used it also before) and I must say that it is very slow when you need to change things and you have a lot of repetitions and instances of a specific term you need to change. First of all, pages with segments are loading slowly, like 20 seconds and as for propagating changes, XTM is hopeless. BTW I have a fast internet connection (100 mbps) Example: I needed to change the translation of More from Další to Více. I changed the first segment, went to another, the change was not propagated and XTM was still offering the old translation in an identical segment. There were about 15 instances of this segment and XTM was always offering from memory the old translation (!). I also don't like that as a translator I cannot check my exact current progress, only rough remaining wordcount (Done vs To be done) - seriously? Also there are occasional connection issues, they don' last long, they are not frequent but still they are annoying. I know it is hard to say where the problem is but I think that my internet connection is quite stable. Would I use XTM voluntarily? Definitely no. Actually I am not a great friend of any online tool and prefer offline software.

[Edited at 2019-01-10 08:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-10 08:49 GMT]
Collapse

Jakov Milicevic
Andrea Torre
Kersti Skovgaard
Vickie Dimitriadou
Stepan Konev

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
The best thing about XTM... Jan 10, 2019

...is that it permits you to download an XLIFF file to work on in an offline CAT tool. AFAIK, this feature is just there for anyone to use, whereas Smartling also has this feature but only as a marketing claim, they lock it so translators can't use it, and when you ask them about it they say that their UI is better so they won't let you access the export feature.

That said, XTM also appears to to offer a TM download along with the XLIFF download, but that doesn't really work, it onl
... See more
...is that it permits you to download an XLIFF file to work on in an offline CAT tool. AFAIK, this feature is just there for anyone to use, whereas Smartling also has this feature but only as a marketing claim, they lock it so translators can't use it, and when you ask them about it they say that their UI is better so they won't let you access the export feature.

That said, XTM also appears to to offer a TM download along with the XLIFF download, but that doesn't really work, it only exports a few high matches, not the entire TM, so you can't use the concordance in your offline CAT, and still have to use the rudimentary concordance on XTM (which doesn't find much).

I think it's best to stay away from all online CATs for another several years until they have got their translator UI up to decent standards.
Collapse

Dalibor Skalník
Dalibor Skalník  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Export options of XTM Jan 10, 2019

Ricki Farn wrote:

That said, XTM also appears to to offer a TM download along with the XLIFF download, but that doesn't really work, it only exports a few high matches, not the entire TM, so you can't use the concordance in your offline CAT, and still have to use the rudimentary concordance on XTM (which doesn't find much).

I think it's best to stay away from all online CATs for another several years until they have got their translator UI up to decent standards.

As for export options, are you talking about translator accounts? Because from the Tasks page I do not have any options to download xliff nor can I download memory (which is usually crucial), in my case I can download xml source files, and there are 400 files plus I have no idea how to upload. Also I am pretty sure, that according to the instructions I have to use XTM - and it was like this in all of my previous jobs. So export of XTM stuff and working offline has never been an option for me. I have worked with worse tools than XTM but as I wrote above, if I had a choice, I would not use XTM or any online tool.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Export options of XTM Jan 10, 2019

Hi Dalibor,

please ask your client about this, they can unlock the option for you (and maybe they simply don't know they can do that). XTM won't prevent them from doing so.

See in https://xtm.cloud/docs/xtm-manual.x49654.pdf on page 69 under "Linguist general options"

Ricki

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dalibor Jan 10, 2019

Dalibor Skalník wrote:
From the Tasks page I do not have any options to download XLIFF, nor can I download memory (which is usually crucial); in my case I can download XML source files, and there are 400 files. I [also] have no idea how to upload.

I have worked on at least two variants of XTM. The one variant allows one to download multiple files as a TIPP package, and the other variant allows one to download multiple files as a special kind of single XLIFF file called a "multi XLIFF", which is presumably a standard XLIFF file (as opposed to e.g. Trados' joined SDLXLIFF file which isn't really a normal XLIFF file).

So, in the Tasks view, click the nav burger to the left and select "Open file manager", and then click the cog icon under the heading "Offline translation" in the row for "All files" and select the appropriate option (e.g. XLIFF or multi XLIFF or TIPP). There'll be a hourglass (or similar), and then an "i" icon will appear next to the cog which contains a status report. The status you're hoping for is "Successful".

If there is no "Offline translation column, or if the "multi XLIFF" format is not available, then you can't use offline translation. If there is a TIPP option, you can **try** to use it but it adds an extra layer of complexity (see here and here). If you download individual XLIFF files, you have to upload them individually as well.

xtm1

xtm2

xtm3a

Also I am pretty sure that according to the instructions I have to use XTM.

Depending on how you look at it, if your XTM installation specifically has an "offline translation" feature, then are you are still using XTM even if you make use of the offline feature as a part of the process. A request to definitely use a specific tool generally only means that that tool must be the start and the end of the process, and that there will be no support for final delivery in any other format or system.

[Edited at 2019-01-10 14:09 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is your opinion on XTM Cloud CAT tool?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »