Thread poster: Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 28, 2020

Is there an easy way to dictate commands to WFC, things like “go to next segment”?

I’ve been dictating into WFC for years but doing the commands on the keyboard and I’ve finally decided enough is enough. (Fossil!)

Yaotl Altan

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:02
Member (2016)
English to German
... Apr 28, 2020

I've never gotten command dictation to work in a useful way, in any CAT tool or application, neither with Dragon nor with Mac Dictation.

I found the best solution is to assign "go to next" to a mouse button (a gaming mouse with extra buttons comes in handy). I also have "go to next" assigned to a foot switch, for hands-free operation.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't really know Apr 28, 2020

I use WFC and Dragon all the time, but I must admit I never use many commands except for "scratch that". I know that you can set Dragon up to do dictation only and ignore commands, which may be how I have it configured at the moment, I don't really know. If I want to move to the next segment - or anywhere else - I just click on it with the mouse.

For some reason, my Dragon is reluctant to write "Next" at the beginning of a sentence. I always end up just typing the bugger in...
... See more
I use WFC and Dragon all the time, but I must admit I never use many commands except for "scratch that". I know that you can set Dragon up to do dictation only and ignore commands, which may be how I have it configured at the moment, I don't really know. If I want to move to the next segment - or anywhere else - I just click on it with the mouse.

For some reason, my Dragon is reluctant to write "Next" at the beginning of a sentence. I always end up just typing the bugger in...

PS: I just remembered, on my main PC (this one) my Dragon Premium crashed one day and I was getting no joy from the support or forums, and because I was in a hurry, decided to purchase a more basic version. That's the one I'm using at the moment, and all I can see in the options is how to set the length of pause required before issuing commands. There were probably more options in the premium version, which is still working on my other computers. In fact, I've just looked and in the Premium version you can activate commands in the top right corner settings.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 19:33 GMT]
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Macros Apr 29, 2020

You'll need to look into macros. There are a few ways to create these in dragon, the simplest being to 'record' the key strokes/mouse clicks you use to enter the command. Then you can assign a voice command like 'go to next' to it. I had mixed experiences in Studio, but my 'go to next' macro worked pretty well (have since abandoned dictation altogether because I simply couldn't get used to it).

Olly

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 29, 2020

Thanks everyone for your comments.

It would appear there is no easy answer, so I'll just have to experiment.

I'll report back on any progress.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ouch Apr 29, 2020

Turns out you can only do macros in the Professional version, which is £350.

That’s quite a lot for a fairly minor benefit that might not even work...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic and Dragon - how to dictate commands

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »