Krista Roest
Krista Roest  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:42
Member (2015)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Apr 2, 2020

I would like to join several TM's that have different language settings.
I work with different language variatons, like standard French and Belgian French to Belgian Dutch or standard Dutch. This means I have TM's in FR/FR-fr/FR-be to NL/NL-be/NL-nl. Is it possible to adapt the language settings and join the TM's into one standard?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Which version? Apr 2, 2020

Krista Roest wrote:

Which version of Wordfast Pro... 3 or 5? (They have two completely different TM formats.)

Krista Roest
Netherlands
Member (2015)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version WF Pro 5 Apr 2, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Krista Roest wrote:

Which version of Wordfast Pro... 3 or 5? (They have two completely different TM formats.)

I use version 5

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:42
French to English
Using TMX? Apr 2, 2020

Not really an answer, but I have had a good measure of success adjusting TM language in the first line of a TMX from an agency by using a text editor. I notice that Wordfast 5, when importing TMX, now gives the option of "Import into existing TM". Just wondering if one could export the various TMs as TMX, edit, and re-import. Sounds a bit curious and there must be a better way.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Krista Apr 3, 2020

Krista Roest wrote:
I use version 5

There are quite a few WFP5 users on their Facebook group:
www.facebook.com/groups/wordfastusers/

Krista Roest
Netherlands
Member (2015)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX different language regional variations Apr 3, 2020

Thanks all, I had contact with WF 5 Help and they stated it wasn't possible to change language settings. The best thing is to use a TMX editor. WF is working on it... To be continued?

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
workaround using export and editing the language codes Apr 6, 2020

Hi Krista,
I just tested out if a workaround would be possible and it seems to be the case.

I tested "combining" a de-DE TM into a de-AT TM.

1) Following the example with two TMs you would have to export all translations units of one TM (in my test the de-DE one) as *.tmx. To do this, go to "Quick Tools" in WF5, select the TM on the right and choose export.

2) Open the exported *.tmx in WordPad and replace all occurrences of "DE-DE" to "DE-AT". Save t
... See more
Hi Krista,
I just tested out if a workaround would be possible and it seems to be the case.

I tested "combining" a de-DE TM into a de-AT TM.

1) Following the example with two TMs you would have to export all translations units of one TM (in my test the de-DE one) as *.tmx. To do this, go to "Quick Tools" in WF5, select the TM on the right and choose export.

2) Open the exported *.tmx in WordPad and replace all occurrences of "DE-DE" to "DE-AT". Save the file. (Obviously you would have to change the language codes according to your needs).

3) Choose "Import TM" under "Quick Tools" in WF5 and select the previously exported and edited *.tmx as well as the TM you want it imported to.

This seems to have worked as far as I can tell. I now have all the de-DE units in my de-AT TM.

If you are not sure, what the language code is, you can alway export your TM as *.tmx, open it in WordPad and see what language code it shows.

Please give this a try if you have some minutes to spare and let me know if that works for you. It is a little cumbersome, but might save you a lot of time later on.
If you run into any problems, let me know.

Best,

XtS

[Edited at 2020-04-06 08:10 GMT]
Collapse

Krista Roest

Krista Roest
Netherlands
Member (2015)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM with standard language goes with regional variations Apr 6, 2020

Thanks XtS, that worked. The WF helpdesk explained that you can use the standard language in any regional variation. So if you use DE without any regional specification, you should be able to use it with any of the other regional variations. IT is quite cumbersome indeed to have to export and edit, but it is certainly worth the effort!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro: same language variaton for different TM's

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »