How do I open a TXLF file in Wordfast Pro 5 when I have a project opened?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:15
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2020

There is a menu option for this when I have no project opened. But as soon as I open my newly created project, I only have the menu option Add files.

I think it would work if I add the whole folder. But when doing that, I get this error message from my Windows 7 system:

Urgent: java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\Project
Babel\Translation jobs 2020\xxx\Source\Urgent (Access is den
... See more

There is a menu option for this when I have no project opened. But as soon as I open my newly created project, I only have the menu option Add files.

I think it would work if I add the whole folder. But when doing that, I get this error message from my Windows 7 system:

Urgent: java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:\Project
Babel\Translation jobs 2020\xxx\Source\Urgent (Access is denied)

I tried changing permissions for this folder by right-clicking it and giving all users full control. Tried unlocking the folder with a program. Still I get this error message.

[Edited at 2020-03-09 12:21 GMT]
Collapse

XtS
XtS
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Wordfast treats a single TXLF as project Mar 9, 2020

Hi Fredrik,
as far as I know, WF5 treats a TXLF file opened via the "Open TXLF" option in Project View as a (new) temporary project.

You should however be able to add the TXLF via the "Add file" option you mentioned (within your current project).

Best,

XtS

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can only Open in new project of Open in Quick project Mar 9, 2020

Add files option in my newly created project, having it opened, gives me only these options:

How would you like to open your TXLF files?
Note: Quick Projects will not remain in the project list once closed.
Open in New Project
Open in Quick Project
Cancel

Seems very strange, not being able to add files to my existing project.

What happens when Adding files to an existing project differs between what is described in the user guide (p
... See more
Add files option in my newly created project, having it opened, gives me only these options:

How would you like to open your TXLF files?
Note: Quick Projects will not remain in the project list once closed.
Open in New Project
Open in Quick Project
Cancel

Seems very strange, not being able to add files to my existing project.

What happens when Adding files to an existing project differs between what is described in the user guide (page 38) for Wordfast Pro 5 and my installation:

https://wordfast.com/pdf/WFP_5.13.0_User_Guide.pdf

[Edited at 2020-03-09 19:48 GMT]
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 15:15
Opening TXLF Mar 9, 2020

TXLF that you are trying to open in existing project has same source language code then you can open. But I don't understand why you are getting that error. Are you sure the file you are trying to open is TXLF and what is your WF version?

Fredrik Pettersson
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Greyed out for menu options Translate file, Chain files, Open source file, Save project, etc. Mar 9, 2020

Greyed out for menu options Translate file, Chain files, Open source file, Save project, etc.

So these options can not be selected when having this project opened.

I'll check if the language codes are the same between the project and the file. But where do I check this? I can not find any project settings page, like in SDL Trados Studio.

The file suffix is docx.txlf

I have version 5.12.1

[Edited at 2020-03-10 10:16 GMT]

Patricia Ramos
Patricia Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Resolved? Jun 9, 2020

Hi Frederik, Did you get this resolved? If so, how? I'm having the same exact issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »