Thread poster: Katrin Jarvis
Katrin Jarvis
Katrin Jarvis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 20, 2019

I use Wordfast Classic v.7.71 and Office Professional Plus 2019 on a Windows 10 Pro platform. There has been a few Windows updates the last couple of weeks, and all of a sudden Wordfast Classic keeps crashing after translating a few sentences. If I copy and paste the text in the Word document into Notepad and then back in a blank, unformatted Word file, it works. But I can't seem to translate the file as is with formatting such as tables. Any insight what might be going on? Thanks!... See more
I use Wordfast Classic v.7.71 and Office Professional Plus 2019 on a Windows 10 Pro platform. There has been a few Windows updates the last couple of weeks, and all of a sudden Wordfast Classic keeps crashing after translating a few sentences. If I copy and paste the text in the Word document into Notepad and then back in a blank, unformatted Word file, it works. But I can't seem to translate the file as is with formatting such as tables. Any insight what might be going on? Thanks!Collapse

Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Similar problems Dec 20, 2019

I recently have problems when the text in Word is in a table. Perhaps it's the same problem?

Katrin Jarvis

Katrin Jarvis
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did you find a solution? Dec 20, 2019

I just can't find any solution to this anywhere. Very frustrating. Any luck?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Katrin Dec 20, 2019

Katrin Jarvis wrote:
I use Wordfast Classic v.7.71 and Office Professional Plus 2019 on a Windows 10 Pro platform. All of a sudden Wordfast Classic keeps crashing after translating a few sentences. ... But I can't seem to translate the file as-is with formatting such as tables.

I can't help with the problem you're having, but I must mention that sometimes certain files are too complicated for WFC to handle, even if WFC was able to handle similar-looking files, due to complex formatting or layout. In particular, sometimes tables may be impossible to translate with WFC. Sometimes you can solve this problem by "fixing" the tables, if you know how to strip unnecessary formatting from tables. This applies to all versions of WFC.

Two other things that you can do that are old news to old users of WFC is (a) to "repair" your Word installation (see here for instructions for your version of Word), and (b) to reset the normal.dot or normal.dotm file (you do this by deleting the file "normal.dotm" while Word isn't running, so that Word recreates it when you run Word again, but note that if you do this, all customizations and your own macros in Word will be lost, unless you saved it somehow).

[Edited at 2019-12-20 17:16 GMT]

Katrin Jarvis
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I will try some of this Dec 20, 2019

I have done some of this before. I will tinker around and see if I can fix it. Thank you for the suggestions!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Same here Dec 21, 2019

I don't use WFC very much anymore, but for one customer I do. Last week I copied a row from Excel into Word in order to translate with WFC, but two times Word froze and I had to cancel the software. Then I translated the text in Excel without CAT, it was only 54 word fortunately.
Hope someone finds a solution, or we have to abandon WFC for good.

Britt Laux

Ben Montaigue
Ben Montaigue
United Kingdom
Exact same issue with Tables here Jan 3, 2020

Has anyone managed to get wordfast working yet with Tables? I'm also using the latest version of classic with word 2019 and windows 10

Regards

Katrin Jarvis
United States
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I ended up abandoning the project, so no solution yet. Jan 3, 2020

Ben Montaigue wrote:

Has anyone managed to get wordfast working yet with Tables? I'm also using the latest version of classic with word 2019 and windows 10

Regards

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have come to the conclusion Jan 3, 2020

that some files for whatever reason seem to be too difficult to handle for WFC, which is otherwise a good and reliable piece of software (yet overpriced IMHO for what it offers compared to other products). In this case, you don't have no choice but to rely on another competing CAT or do the work without. That is at least my experience.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-01-03 22:41 GMT]

Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Multiverse Solutions s.r.o. (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
Got used to it Jan 5, 2020

Older / different WFC versions may handle the specific file differently. You'll need to reinstall WF and mess around settings back and forth. It might be reasonable for a huge project.

Bookmarks, internal hyperlinks (references), leftover styles, or complex DOC formatting contribute to WFC freezing or Word freezing or crashing.

I also found that behaviour of WFC appears to be related to Word version. The old good Word 97 is your dream. The more complex Word, the more e
... See more
Older / different WFC versions may handle the specific file differently. You'll need to reinstall WF and mess around settings back and forth. It might be reasonable for a huge project.

Bookmarks, internal hyperlinks (references), leftover styles, or complex DOC formatting contribute to WFC freezing or Word freezing or crashing.

I also found that behaviour of WFC appears to be related to Word version. The old good Word 97 is your dream. The more complex Word, the more exposure to unpredictable behaviour.

If your DOC file is clean or has common-sense tables, there should be no problem. My own workaround is to clean up complex files before starting WFC. This applies in particular to post-OCR files. It takes some time, but you can reduce effort with a nice macro.
Collapse

Ben Montaigue
Ben Montaigue
United Kingdom
could we use an older version of word? Jan 6, 2020

So if this started happening after an update, could we not just use an older version of word 2019 before the update?

Ben Montaigue
Ben Montaigue
United Kingdom
Solved the issue Jan 6, 2020

Just to let you all know, I've gone back to an older build of word 2019 and everything works fine again. It's a September build, the number is Version 1909 (Build 12026.20264)

You can use this info on how to go back to an older version.<
... See more
Just to let you all know, I've gone back to an older build of word 2019 and everything works fine again. It's a September build, the number is Version 1909 (Build 12026.20264)

You can use this info on how to go back to an older version.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic
Collapse

WFC 8.18 Does The Job Jan 20, 2020

I had no problems in tables with WFC 6.45 and earlier in Word 2010 on Windows 7, my preferred combination of all times.
The table issue appeared with Word 2019 on Windows 10 (awful combination).
Updating to WFC 6.99 o 7.x didn't solve the problem, but new version 8.18 did.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
WFC 8.18 Jan 22, 2020

Alberto Olmos wrote:

Alberto, did you have to make any additional changes when installing 8.18 or did the simple fact of upgrading solve the problem? I've checked out WF's website for the version history and according to them, 8.18 is "Nothing drastically new".

I was also wondering if you knew of any other people who've managed to solve the "tables" issue by upgrading.

Britt Laux
Britt Laux  Identity Verified
German to Norwegian
+ ...
Update t 8.18 seems to work! Jan 23, 2020

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Alberto Olmos wrote:

Alberto, did you have to make any additional changes when installing 8.18 or did the simple fact of upgrading solve the problem? I've checked out WF's website for the version history and according to them, 8.18 is "Nothing drastically new".

I was also wondering if you knew of any other people who've managed to solve the "tables" issue by upgrading.

I updated to 8.18 now, with no additional changes, and my first test was positive!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Classic keeps crashing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »