Wordfast 5 Pro freezing / hanging / crashing often when left idle
Thread poster: XtS
John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 13:04
Try these steps from the videos Dec 5, 2019

Gld8 wrote:

Hello,

I just wanted to say that I am experiencing the exact same issue. It gets worse when I use remote TMs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syG7wbp-6aQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Nc_p9g7iI

Let me know if this helped in remote connection disconnects when idle.

Thank you,
John

Ian D_
Ian D_
United Kingdom
had the same issue but it was resolved with client upgrade to 5.1 Dec 11, 2019

had the same issue but it was resolved with client upgrade to 5.11

It was to do with google \ Microsoft MT

gargkabir5gm
gargkabir5gm
India
check networking Mar 24, 2020

Firstly go ahead and check your windows firewall if it is working properly or not.Then check your networking and if you could not find any solution then contact them for the help

XtS
XtS
Germany
Local time: 20:04
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a network issue Apr 6, 2020

For anyone who's interested....

I tried all the proposed steps, but the problem still persists. Also, it it pretty unlikely to be a network isse (as fas as router configuration or other configuration of devices/software other than Windows on the PC in question is concerned), since the Notebook (where there is no problem) is connected to the same network and network devices and thus uses the same configuration without any problems.

I have already been in contact with the
... See more
For anyone who's interested....

I tried all the proposed steps, but the problem still persists. Also, it it pretty unlikely to be a network isse (as fas as router configuration or other configuration of devices/software other than Windows on the PC in question is concerned), since the Notebook (where there is no problem) is connected to the same network and network devices and thus uses the same configuration without any problems.

I have already been in contact with the Wordfast support over this and they are aware of the problem (albeit it only affecting very few users), but are working on fixing more urgent matters at the moment before trying to address this.

I just hope they get to it sooner rather than later, since due to this bug it is virtually impossible for me to use WF5 Pro on my PC.
Collapse

James Muir

James Muir
James Muir  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 03:04
Chinese to English
Same here Jun 5, 2020

It's June 6 and I just updated WF5 to the latest version.

I am also using a 3700X Ryzen

So, it doesn't do this on my Surface laptop (Intel), but has always done so on this big monitor desktop. I literally feel like there is an egg-timer on the desk.

I never use MT in WF and the TM's are often just on this local machine - so I am going to rule out the remote TM idea.

It seems like the question needs asking - does anyone have this issue who does
... See more

So, it doesn't do this on my Surface laptop (Intel), but has always done so on this big monitor desktop. I literally feel like there is an egg-timer on the desk.

I never use MT in WF and the TM's are often just on this local machine - so I am going to rule out the remote TM idea.

It seems like the question needs asking - does anyone have this issue who does not have an AMD processor here?

On the 3700X, I am currently in PBO mode; but I often run a straight multiplier thru the bios; but so far the only combination I have not tried is cutting out some of the cores... (SMT)

Oh well, might as well give that a go then.
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Check Power saver modes Jun 5, 2020

James Muir wrote:

It seems like the question needs asking - does anyone have this issue who does not have an AMD processor here?

On the 3700X, I am currently in PBO mode; but I often run a straight multiplier thru the bios; but so far the only combination I have not tried is cutting out some of the cores... (SMT)

Hi James,

Can you check your PCs power saver mode if it is set for balanced or performance?
Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' steps below:
Press Windows Key + S, and type Network and Sharing Center.
Click on the top result to open Network and Sharing Center.
Click on Change adapter settings.
Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
Click on the Configure button.
Choose the Power Management tab.
Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Restart your device and check if the issue persists.

Add Wordfast to your Windows Defender Exclusions list or any other firewall/antivirus program.

Let me know if these made any difference.

Thank you,
John

James Muir

James Muir
Taiwan
Chinese to English
Seems good Jun 6, 2020

Interestingly, disabling SMT did make a difference; allowing it to go longer, or even to come back after a delay - but it also meant 3300 instead of 5000+ in Cinebench.

After working out what the Windows wording you gave me is for the language on this PC (I was too lazy to switch to EN), I did as was asked and lo and behold I can now walk away from the screen and go do other things again!!! LOL

~ this is with normal SMT and PBO; and I didn't touch the firewalls or antiv
... See more
Interestingly, disabling SMT did make a difference; allowing it to go longer, or even to come back after a delay - but it also meant 3300 instead of 5000+ in Cinebench.

After working out what the Windows wording you gave me is for the language on this PC (I was too lazy to switch to EN), I did as was asked and lo and behold I can now walk away from the screen and go do other things again!!! LOL

~ this is with normal SMT and PBO; and I didn't touch the firewalls or antivirus ~

So thanks for all your help John and have a good rest of the weekend
Collapse

James Muir
Taiwan
Chinese to English
Didn't last Oct 22, 2020

Unfortunately that only went a few days before reverting itself to "crash mode".

I also have the same issue on my 2020 iMac - again, the same, when you leave it for about 5 minutes (toast, loo break?) and it just stops reacting to input and has to be re-started. Whilst it recovers whatever you had typed, it also wastes time and, naturally, you also lose your place in the file you were PR'ing.

This DOESN'T happen on a MacBook weirdly.

Can I make an iMac emul
... See more
Unfortunately that only went a few days before reverting itself to "crash mode".

I also have the same issue on my 2020 iMac - again, the same, when you leave it for about 5 minutes (toast, loo break?) and it just stops reacting to input and has to be re-started. Whilst it recovers whatever you had typed, it also wastes time and, naturally, you also lose your place in the file you were PR'ing.

Can I make an iMac emulate a MB?
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Try this build Oct 22, 2020

James Muir wrote:

Can I make an iMac emulate a MB?

Hi James,

Can you try this build for Mac? https://cdn3.wordfast.com/WFP5.18.1/Wordfast_Pro_Beta_5.18.1.dmg

Let us know if this helped.

Thank you,
John

James Muir
Taiwan
Chinese to English
Will give it a try Nov 2, 2020

I am finished a little bit earlier; so will make some BUs 1st, install the DMG and try it out. TIA

James Muir
Taiwan
Chinese to English
Sadly not Nov 2, 2020

I left it alone and browsed the web a few minutes (perhaps 8-10?) and unfortunately it still stops responding and has to be force quit.

Macbooks don't do this though. So strange.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Another macOS build Nov 2, 2020

James Muir wrote:

I left it alone and browsed the web a few minutes (perhaps 8-10?) and unfortunately it still stops responding and has to be force quit.

Macbooks don't do this though. So strange.

Hi James,

Can you try this one?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r1oqujt0dlvab4e/AADynEvJYrL1pacf19SLYJRAa?dl=0

Thank you,
John

James Muir

James Muir
Taiwan
Chinese to English
That's working Nov 9, 2020

...I keep finding myself clicking between segments just to check; but yeah, it is working now. This is really good for me as it will save energy and time throughout the week!

I even allowed it to sit a few hours whilst 'we' had a sleep and it came back with the Mac as it should.

It possibly even feels snappier when swapping between segments too.

Thanks so much

Wendy Weng
Wendy Weng
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
What if my PC does not offer Network Power Management settings? Nov 11, 2020

John Daniel wrote:

James Muir wrote:

Hi James,

Can you check your PCs power saver mode if it is set for balanced or performance?
Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' steps below:
Press Windows Key + S, and type Network and Sharing Center.
Click on the top result to open Network and Sharing Center.
Click on Change adapter settings.
Right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties.
Click on the Configure button.
Choose the Power Management tab.
Uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
Restart your device and check if the issue persists.

Add Wordfast to your Windows Defender Exclusions list or any other firewall/antivirus program.

Let me know if these made any difference.

Thank you,
John

Hi John,

I have the same problem with Pro5 on win10. I've raised a ticket to wordfast team but this was not resolved and then I found this page. However, my PC's operation system does not come with a Network Power Management feature. I've called Lenovo technical support about this and what they suggested me about this was to re-install the entire system. But I doubt that, since re-install won't have the Network Power Management feature added on (because it's a pre-defined system that comes with the entire machine). What can I do, please? It's so frustrating to have Pro5 frozen every few minutes (translators do a lot of searches/cross-checks during work so we have to from time to time "go away" from the Pro5 software and work on something else). Now every time I work/walk away from Pro5, I become really nervous, always worring whether it'll freeze the next second. Please do help on this. Thanks!

Ruben Arellano
Ruben Arellano  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Started experiencing same problem here with WordFast Pro 6.6.0 build 20211101-1518 Jan 26, 2022

I never had this issue before. A couple of weeks ago, WF started freezing over and over, randomly. Sometimes, I may be able to work for a few hours without the malfunction, but sometimes WF cannot even finish launching because it freezes. I have not changed anything in my system nor in my network settings. Runnning Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, build 19042.1466 OS with Intel Core i7-6700HQ @2.6GHz, 16 GB RAM.

[Editado a las 2022-01-26 22:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 5 Pro freezing / hanging / crashing often when left idle

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »