Thread poster: B D Finch
B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
May 4, 2014

Wordfast Pro was working fine until yesterday, when I wanted to amend my very large translation after proofreading the printout. I am using Wordfast 3.4 on Windows 8.1.

Now, I get error messages such as, when pressing ALT+DOWN:

"Next Segment (TM Commit)" did not complete normally. Please see the log for more information.
String index out of range: -1

OR

"Next Segment (TM Commit)" did not complete normally. Please see the log for more inf
... See more
Wordfast Pro was working fine until yesterday, when I wanted to amend my very large translation after proofreading the printout. I am using Wordfast 3.4 on Windows 8.1.

Now, I get error messages such as, when pressing ALT+DOWN:

"Next Segment (TM Commit)" did not complete normally. Please see the log for more information.
String index out of range: -1

OR

The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

ALSO

When opening txml file in Wordfast:

An error has occurred when activating this view
File C:\Users\Barbara\.wf_workspace\glossaries\g_2\glossary.dat in use by another program.

Find/Replace wasn't working at all (nothing at all happened if I pressed CTRL+F or CTRL+H, but it has now just started showing the dialogue box again. However, it is still not working as nothing happens when I click Find within the dialogue box.

I have reinstalled Wordfast and Java, but this hasn't helped.

[Edited at 2014-05-04 09:09 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Java, really? May 5, 2014

I see nothing in your messages pointing to Java errors. Rather it looks like your translation memory is corrupt. Load it to, say, Okapi Olifant and check for errors.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:25
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Source of problem detected May 5, 2014

Thanks esperantisto. In fact, it was a corrupted glossary. I was able to close the glossaries, as I had finished the actual translation and was just doing the revisions. However, I shall need to repair the glossary. Urgent as I have a large amount of related translation work. I used to use Okapi Olifant, but seem to recall from the last time I used it that it is very out-of-date and that I couldn't get various things to work - or that the program is too obscure for the non-geek likes of me. Is t... See more
Thanks esperantisto. In fact, it was a corrupted glossary. I was able to close the glossaries, as I had finished the actual translation and was just doing the revisions. However, I shall need to repair the glossary. Urgent as I have a large amount of related translation work. I used to use Okapi Olifant, but seem to recall from the last time I used it that it is very out-of-date and that I couldn't get various things to work - or that the program is too obscure for the non-geek likes of me. Is there any other glossary tweeker available for Wordfast users?Collapse

Luciana Sosa

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:25
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem Nov 17, 2014

Hi Finch,

You've just saved my life

I started to get the same error string and, after trying many solutions, I read your message and... Bingo... It was a problem with one of the glossaries of the client.

I disabled it, and everything got back to normal.

Thanks!

[Editada em 2014-11-17 17:33 GMT]

Luciana Sosa
Luciana Sosa  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:25
English to Spanish
Thank you for helping me too Jan 14, 2020

Same thing here! 10 minutes later I came up with this thread. Your experience was very helpful. Thank you! ♥

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java errors making Wordfast Pro unusable

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »