Thread poster: Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Mar 13, 2020

Is there good (free) software for this? The sites I've found were not helpful.
I am making a PowerPoint presentation with a number of videos in it, for a class I plan to give. Imanaged to make a video clip from the film in question, through the Video function in PowerPoint 19. I have a script in the target language. I'd thought I could read along with the video as I played it, but I'm finding it much too difficult to match my reading to the video, so I guess I need some sort of application
... See more
Is there good (free) software for this? The sites I've found were not helpful.
I am making a PowerPoint presentation with a number of videos in it, for a class I plan to give. Imanaged to make a video clip from the film in question, through the Video function in PowerPoint 19. I have a script in the target language. I'd thought I could read along with the video as I played it, but I'm finding it much too difficult to match my reading to the video, so I guess I need some sort of application that allows you to space the voiceover text properly.

I had considered doing subtitles, but cannot find a way to download the clipped video from PowerPoint in such a way that I can open it in a subtitling program.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 03:25
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Wondershare Filmora Software Mar 13, 2020

You can download it here: https://filmora.wondershare.com/

I believe there are free options or at least a free trial. You can add voiceover in the free version too, the software is generally intuitive and easy to use for beginners.

Maybe there are others but this one is widely used and pretty reliable.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Lingua Mar 14, 2020

I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Will report back.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Video editing. Mar 15, 2020

Susan Welsh wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Will report back.

Once you import your media, you will have a list of editing tools under the video display one of which should be Add Voiceover. You can then either dictate/record your voiceover directly into the video using your microphone or import a voiceover audio file and spread it across the video. You can then test the final version in the display and once it’s fine, export the final version in a format you can select from the list such as mp4 or other.

[Edited at 2020-03-15 05:38 GMT]

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
volume of voiceover compared to original audio Mar 15, 2020

Thanks, Lingua. The problem I'm having is that my voice, doing the voiceover, is low-volume, and can scarcely be heard above the louder volume of the dialog in the video. I have not found a way to adjust the volume of only the voiceover, rather than both audio tracks at once.
I have a feeling the problem is my microphone. It's an inexpensive headset/microphone combined (no brand name on the set). A couple of websites I looked at said you need a high-quality mic (which naturally they wanted
... See more
Thanks, Lingua. The problem I'm having is that my voice, doing the voiceover, is low-volume, and can scarcely be heard above the louder volume of the dialog in the video. I have not found a way to adjust the volume of only the voiceover, rather than both audio tracks at once.
I have a feeling the problem is my microphone. It's an inexpensive headset/microphone combined (no brand name on the set). A couple of websites I looked at said you need a high-quality mic (which naturally they wanted to sell...!).
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Possible workarounds. Mar 15, 2020

Susan Welsh wrote:

I have a feeling the problem is my microphone. It's an inexpensive headset/microphone combined (no brand name on the set). A couple of websites I looked at said you need a high-quality mic (which naturally they wanted to sell...!).

If you right click on the track you should see a button that says "detach audio" which will make your original video fully silent with no audio. After this step, you can then spread your voiceover across the video. Unless you need both sounds running at once (the original video sound and your voiceover), in this case you should minimize the volume (adjustment) in the original video and maximize your voiceover volume. Having a good quality microphone always helps but it's more important in professional production. As long as you are heard by your audience, any microphone should be fine.

Another thing regarding volume: How you are heard by your audience also depends on the quality of their speakers/reception quality and not only the quality of your microphone, although ideally the both should be of high quality.

[Edited at 2020-03-15 15:05 GMT]

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
possible workarounds Mar 16, 2020

The problem is that I need to hear the original video while I record, to match the content (approximately). What I am reading is a translation of the original video. And the audience will also hear both. Right now, my voiceover is almost inaudible.
I have not found a way to minimize the original volume and maximize the microphone volume.

I will study the tutorials more closely. I do find this tool useful for other reasons, including clipping the video.

Thanks agai
... See more
The problem is that I need to hear the original video while I record, to match the content (approximately). What I am reading is a translation of the original video. And the audience will also hear both. Right now, my voiceover is almost inaudible.
I have not found a way to minimize the original volume and maximize the microphone volume.

I will study the tutorials more closely. I do find this tool useful for other reasons, including clipping the video.

Thanks again, Lingua.
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Adjusting volume. Mar 17, 2020

1. Right click on your original video sound track > Adjust Audio > Adjust it by scrolling the volume bar up and down
2. Right click on your voice-over sound track > Adjust Audio > Adjust it by scrolling the volume bar up and down

Not sure if this feature is available in the free version though but free trial should include all options I believe. Yes, the track with a more professional production (microphone, editing, mixing) will always be louder and may take over.

[E
... See more
1. Right click on your original video sound track > Adjust Audio > Adjust it by scrolling the volume bar up and down
2. Right click on your voice-over sound track > Adjust Audio > Adjust it by scrolling the volume bar up and down

Not sure if this feature is available in the free version though but free trial should include all options I believe. Yes, the track with a more professional production (microphone, editing, mixing) will always be louder and may take over.

[Edited at 2020-03-17 09:33 GMT]
Collapse

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked! Mar 17, 2020

Thanks so much, Lingua.
Now I find myself unable to export the edited video. Nothing happens when I click "export." I have sent a support ticket to Filmora, so it will not be necessary for you to act as my personal tech support! I appreciate your help!

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not a big deal. Mar 17, 2020

Susan Welsh wrote:

Thanks so much, Lingua.
Now I find myself unable to export the edited video. Nothing happens when I click "export." I have sent a support ticket to Filmora, so it will not be necessary for you to act as my personal tech support! I appreciate your help!

Not a problem, it’s not a big deal, I actually needed to refresh my Filmora knowledge since I haven’t used it in a while. These steps may also be useful on the board for others who may need the same guidance.

If you click the export button at the top middle part of the screen, it should prompt you to select your export format and export destination folder. Again, this may be related to paid/free version, I’m not sure.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exporting Mar 17, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

If you click the export button at the top middle part of the screen, it should prompt you to select your export format and export destination folder. Again, this may be related to paid/free version, I’m not sure.

No, it doesn't do anything (free version). I'll post back here if Filmora tells me anything useful.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Try this. Mar 17, 2020

Susan Welsh wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

No, it doesn't do anything (free version). I'll post back here if Filmora tells me anything useful.

Go to File in the menu (top left) and click it, you will have an option to "Save project as", then save it as project and you will get Filmora type file and save it on some folder in your PC, then close the app. Then go to the folder where you saved it, click the saved file to open it (it should prompt you directly to Filmora). Once the project is opened in Filmora, try to export it.

[Edited at 2020-03-17 19:42 GMT]

freezone (X)
freezone (X)
United Arab Emirates
How to do a voiceover Mar 18, 2020

I use Filmora when I record voiceover, it's user friendly and convenient.

Susan Welsh
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Mar 18, 2020

Filmora's tech support said you have to login to a Filmora account before you can export it. I did that; it didn't work.
Then I tried Lingua's idea about closing the app and opening the Filmora file from the folder in my PC where it was lurking. That didn't work either.
So I rebooted the pc and ... now it works!
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Kristina Radziulyte[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do a voiceover

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »