Online Certifications
Thread poster: Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Chile
English to Spanish
Nov 27, 2016

Hi.

I want to become a professional translator. I've translated a couple of books via Babelcube, but I want to be able to apply to other jobs in the future.

I want to know what kind of online certifications are there. I've looked in the forums, but there is so much information for a newcomer that is confusing.

I live in Chile and want to translate from English to Spanish.

What do you advice?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Online anything Nov 28, 2016

If you're serious about working as a professional translator, don't waste your time with online certifications. Go (back) to college, get a solid degree (not necessarily in translation). Keep improving your writing in both English and Spanish. Good luck.

Lucia_Lagos
Lucia_Lagos
Chile
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You! Nov 28, 2016

I see. So, having skills seems more important than proving to have them. That's good news. I believe I have a couple of years of hard work ahead.

Thank you for the advice, Mario.

sztyblewsky1997
sztyblewsky1997
English to French
+ ...
I don't know about the "have a degree in just anything" part Mar 16, 2018

Mario Chavez wrote:

If you're serious about working as a professional translator, don't waste your time with online certifications. Go (back) to college, get a solid degree (not necessarily in translation). Keep improving your writing in both English and Spanish. Good luck.

I don't know about the "not necessarily in translation" part because you will be competing with people who majored in Translation or Languages or Linguistics or something like. Or English or Spanish. I mean, I have a degree in Biomaterials Engineering but I can't seem to break in to the fields of translating scientific works and I can do French-English, English-French, Spanish-French, Spanish-English, German-French and German-English. I'm on Babelcube right now because "royalties only" is better than absolutely nothing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online Certifications

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »