Writing a Research Paper for Translation Studies Class: Need Survey Responses!
Thread poster: Nickee O'Bryant
Nickee O'Bryant
Nickee O'Bryant
United States
Local time: 15:58
Apr 25, 2021

Hello all,

My name is Nickee O’Bryant and I am part of a group of Translation Studies students at California State University Long Beach. We are conducting a survey on the differences in speed of translation between freelance translators and translators working in a translation company.

We desperately need responses specifically from freelance translators so if anyone could please take 5 minutes to fill out this short survey, we would greatly appreciate it! To answer
... See more
Hello all,

My name is Nickee O’Bryant and I am part of a group of Translation Studies students at California State University Long Beach. We are conducting a survey on the differences in speed of translation between freelance translators and translators working in a translation company.

We desperately need responses specifically from freelance translators so if anyone could please take 5 minutes to fill out this short survey, we would greatly appreciate it! To answer the questions, please briefly refer to the article in the Google Document before completing the survey (no need to read it!). To access the links, you may need to copy and paste the URLs in your browser.

Link to the survey:
https://forms.gle/97PxoCzFT6RvD3n86

Link to Article on Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12nqjz5NzzT7a16yLxr-FUFiCW-oPWcW3Hju3-opymFQ/edit?usp=sharing

Please contact us if you have any questions regarding the survey. Thank you so much for your time and cooperation and we look forward to hearing your responses!

Thank you!
Collapse

Tugce Unal

Zeineb Nalouti
Zeineb Nalouti
Tunisia
Local time: 23:58
English to French
+ ...
Done! Apr 26, 2021

good luck !

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nickee Apr 26, 2021

Done! Good luck!

Teresa

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Done Apr 26, 2021

Succes.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Assumption Apr 26, 2021

Your assumption that we're all translating from English into another language is going to skew the outcomes of your survey. I found it impossible to answer most of the questions because I translate from another language into English.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Adieu

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
German to English
+ ...
@Nickee Apr 26, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Your assumption that we're all translating from English into another language is going to skew the outcomes of your survey. I found it impossible to answer most of the questions because I translate from another language into English.

This comment is a valid point based on how the questions are asked. Nickee, would you like to hear only from translators who work with English as a SL, or would you like the rest of us to respond as well, simply "pretending" the text is in an applicable SL?

Tom in London

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I’m on my phone so... Apr 26, 2021

Can someone tell me how many words it is please?

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:58
German to English
+ ...
Word count Apr 26, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Thanks! Apr 26, 2021

Becca Resnik wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Becca Resnik

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
How long Apr 26, 2021

... is a piece of string?

In general, as a freelancer, I can usually do 1000 words in about an hour if I'm familiar with the content and there are no interruptions. However, that doesn't mean I'm pumping out 8000 words a day.

Christopher Schröder

Nickee O'Bryant
Nickee O'Bryant
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Assumptions/Wording in Survey Apr 26, 2021

Becca Resnik wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

This comment is a valid point based on how the questions are asked. Nickee, would you like to hear only from translators who work with English as a SL, or would you like the rest of us to respond as well, simply "pretending" the text is in an applicable SL?

@Becca Resnik @Tom in London

Hello!

First, I would like to say that I recognize that the wording for some of the questions are a bit off and that is something we will take into account as we write our paper. Second, @Becca, yes I think it would be for the best if respondents respond by "pretending" the text is in an applicable SL, thank you.

@Tom in London, thank you so much for pointing this out and I 100% understand what you mean and I am sorry that our survey was not more clear. Again, we will be addressing all potential errors in our paper.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Becca Resnik

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:58
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Done Apr 27, 2021

Good luck!

Nickee O'Bryant
Nickee O'Bryant
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Survey is Closed Apr 29, 2021

Hello all,

The survey is now closed. Thank you so much to everyone who responded to my survey! You have helped my group immensely!

Thank you again!
Nickee O'Brynat

Christopher Schröder

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Before you write about amazing productivity gains from cutting people loose... May 2, 2021

Take into account that actual translating of actual documents is just one part of a freelance translator's work.

Depending on their success or lack thereof, some to most (!) of their time is invested into searching for leads, waiting for jobs, writing pointless emails, sorting out various chaos (ex: "Dear Sir or Madam, this "Ukrainian" job is a Russian government document from Russia, in Russian, which doesn't actually matter to me but... please confirm"), and shaking down delinquen
... See more
Take into account that actual translating of actual documents is just one part of a freelance translator's work.

Depending on their success or lack thereof, some to most (!) of their time is invested into searching for leads, waiting for jobs, writing pointless emails, sorting out various chaos (ex: "Dear Sir or Madam, this "Ukrainian" job is a Russian government document from Russia, in Russian, which doesn't actually matter to me but... please confirm"), and shaking down delinquent debtors.

This crap all takes many, many unpaid hours.

[Edited at 2021-05-02 05:09 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Writing a Research Paper for Translation Studies Class: Need Survey Responses!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »