Translation Theory - Translating Academic Texts
Thread poster: Emer O'Driscoll
Emer O'Driscoll
Emer O'Driscoll
United Kingdom
Jun 17, 2020

Hi everyone! I'm writing a postgrad dissertation on translating an academic history book and I'm having trouble finding any secondary reading about translating contemporary academic texts. Does anyone have any recommendations of books/articles on the subject?

NB: The book I'm translating (a section of) is 'Homosexualität und Staatsräson: Männlichkeit, Homophobie und Politik in Deutschland 1900-1945' (Homosexuality and the Reason of State: Masculinity, Homophobia and Politics in G
... See more
Hi everyone! I'm writing a postgrad dissertation on translating an academic history book and I'm having trouble finding any secondary reading about translating contemporary academic texts. Does anyone have any recommendations of books/articles on the subject?

NB: The book I'm translating (a section of) is 'Homosexualität und Staatsräson: Männlichkeit, Homophobie und Politik in Deutschland 1900-1945' (Homosexuality and the Reason of State: Masculinity, Homophobia and Politics in Germany 1900-1945) and it was published in 2005.
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:03
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Perhaps you should broaden your search? Jun 17, 2020

Emer O'Driscoll wrote:

I'm having trouble finding any secondary reading about translating contemporary academic texts.

This sounds like a very specific search. Is this type of translating different from translating other non-creative texts?
For example, is it similar to translating manuals for instruments, protocols, instructions for use, legal texts or other types of text you can think of?
That might help you find reading material that can be used for your type of texts, in addition to other types.

Aline Amorim

Susannah Daniels
Susannah Daniels  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:03
Spanish to English
Academic translator Sep 28, 2020

I am new to this platform and relatively new to the translation field, though since 2015 I have worked for an agency that translates and edits academic texts, American Journal Experts. Being a bilingual PhD, it seems natural to me to choose academic texts (particularly in the fields that I studied) as my area of translation specialization. Yet, I see that ''academic translation'' has 0 results when I search it in this forum. And the only response to your question implies that it could be the sam... See more
I am new to this platform and relatively new to the translation field, though since 2015 I have worked for an agency that translates and edits academic texts, American Journal Experts. Being a bilingual PhD, it seems natural to me to choose academic texts (particularly in the fields that I studied) as my area of translation specialization. Yet, I see that ''academic translation'' has 0 results when I search it in this forum. And the only response to your question implies that it could be the same as translating manuals for instruments, legal texts, etc. Interesting... I understand that ''academic translation'' also refers to the translation of academic transcripts, documents etc. but it also means the translation of scholarly articles, books

[Edited at 2020-09-28 03:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-28 14:39 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-09-28 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Theory - Translating Academic Texts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »