reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 12:16
Arabic to English
+ ...
Oct 3, 2019

Dear Proz Community,

I researching translation job market and translation education programs; are they aligned?

I am still in the brainstorming phase, where I am trying to ask as many questions as possible and then focus on priority questions. Here are some questions I came up with so far:

- What are the specificities of translation job market? Are there any governing regulations?
- What are the criteria an employer seeking when hiring a translato
... See more
Dear Proz Community,

I researching translation job market and translation education programs; are they aligned?

I am still in the brainstorming phase, where I am trying to ask as many questions as possible and then focus on priority questions. Here are some questions I came up with so far:

- What are the specificities of translation job market? Are there any governing regulations?
- What are the criteria an employer seeking when hiring a translator? How do they measure it?
- Is there a collaboration between translation job market and translation training institutions? If yes, is it ideal? How
can it be improved?
- Does translation graduates have the competitive advantage over non-degree holders?
- How does the translation market landscape changed with the emerging of virtual market? What challenges and
opportunities it bring?
- How can the translation training institution help its graduate in overcoming the challenges and capture
opportunities?
- What skills the translator need to overcome challenges and capture opportunities?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

- If you have a translation company, would you be willing to participate in a survey on your selection and evaluation
criteria?
- If you are a university graduate, would you be willing to participate in a survey to share your translation journey?
Do you think translation degree was a good in your time and money? what could be improved in translation
education programs?

P.S. English is not my target language. So, apologies if there are any grammar or spelling mistakes in my letter.

Thanking you all in adavnce and wish you all a wonderful day...
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:16
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Researching? Oct 3, 2019

reem Hasoneh wrote:

Dear Proz Community,

Why are you doing research? It would be nice to know what's behind the request.

reem Hasoneh (X)
reem Hasoneh (X)
Switzerland
Local time: 12:16
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Master's Degree Thesis Oct 3, 2019

Thank you Sheila for your question. It's part of my thesis for Master's degree. But it's also for a personal interest. I think the practical side of translation is, if I may say, neglected in university programs and there is a kind of "divorce" between the today's real translation market and university curriculum. I could feel this gap because I worked in translation for a few years before I started my translation studies. My studies added a great value, but could have been more market-related. ... See more
Thank you Sheila for your question. It's part of my thesis for Master's degree. But it's also for a personal interest. I think the practical side of translation is, if I may say, neglected in university programs and there is a kind of "divorce" between the today's real translation market and university curriculum. I could feel this gap because I worked in translation for a few years before I started my translation studies. My studies added a great value, but could have been more market-related.

[Edited at 2019-10-03 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation job market and output of translation education

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »