The Past, Present and Future of Machine Translation with Alex Zekakis of XTM

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The Past, Present and Future of Machine Translation with Alex Zekakis of XTM".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Neve Hargreaves
Neve Hargreaves
Australia
Local time: 08:01
Japanese to English
+ ...
Machine Translation as a solution Oct 5, 2020

As someone looking to join the translation industry in the height of machine translation projects, I found this article very enlightening! I also believe that machine translation provides a solution for some of the inefficient aspects of human translation without, as the article points out, eradicating the human element. While there are many translators and academics like Pym that see the localisation industry as dehumanizing in how internationalization strips away culture in favour of equivalen... See more
As someone looking to join the translation industry in the height of machine translation projects, I found this article very enlightening! I also believe that machine translation provides a solution for some of the inefficient aspects of human translation without, as the article points out, eradicating the human element. While there are many translators and academics like Pym that see the localisation industry as dehumanizing in how internationalization strips away culture in favour of equivalence (Pym), there is undeniably a demand in the globalized world for the industry and machine translation is playing a key part. The efficiency and wide applicability of localization and internationalization is certainly assisted by machine translation, and I think that perhaps businesses and industries that previously would not have considered translating their products due to inefficiency and cost may be inclined to join the global movement and localise their products because of the heightened productivity machine translation provides. And as academics such as Garcia agree, the introduction of machine translation has also brought about new roles such as post-editing which apply a translator’s skills in a new format for the sake of productivity without compromising on quality (Garcia). I think one should always be willing to re-train themselves to explore new aspects in their field brought about by globalism and new technology.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Past, Present and Future of Machine Translation with Alex Zekakis of XTM

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »