French is Alive and Well and (Even) Living in English

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "French is Alive and Well and (Even) Living in English".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Jacques Saleh
Jacques Saleh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:38
Arabic to English
+ ...
French is Alive and Well and (Even) Living in English Feb 2, 2019

For those interested in French-English interplay dynamics, here is an article I published in “A Propos” (the online magazine of the ATA’s French Division) a couple months ago. It discusses the French pundits’ near paranoia about the French language eclipse in favor of English. I argue in a tongue-in-cheek way that instead of worrying about this matter, those in the French community who worry about their language standing internationally should on the contrary partake of the English lan... See more
For those interested in French-English interplay dynamics, here is an article I published in “A Propos” (the online magazine of the ATA’s French Division) a couple months ago. It discusses the French pundits’ near paranoia about the French language eclipse in favor of English. I argue in a tongue-in-cheek way that instead of worrying about this matter, those in the French community who worry about their language standing internationally should on the contrary partake of the English language triumphs, as French is in fact very much embedded in the English language and had a major contribution to modern English language inception and development… Here is the link for those who are interested.

http://www.ata-divisions.org/FLD/index.php/tag/jacques-saleh/
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 21:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Touche pas à mon pote Feb 4, 2019

Unfortunately, some our neighbours on the other side of La Manche seem to be less well-disposed towards the language of perfidious Albion...

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/04/an-insult-french-writers-outraged-by-festivals-use-of-sub-english-words

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French is Alive and Well and (Even) Living in English

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »