Do I need to become autonomo or no?
Thread poster: GMak
GMak
GMak
Spain
Feb 10, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am Greek but I've been living in Spain the last couple of years. I am registered as a freelance translator in Greece.
However, recently I was offered a colaboration with a Swedish company. The thing is that the only think they ask me is my name, address and nank number to pay me and then they transfer the money to my account.
From what I understand, since it's considered an intercommunitary transaction, I don't neet to pay IVA or IRFP.

What I
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am Greek but I've been living in Spain the last couple of years. I am registered as a freelance translator in Greece.
However, recently I was offered a colaboration with a Swedish company. The thing is that the only think they ask me is my name, address and nank number to pay me and then they transfer the money to my account.
From what I understand, since it's considered an intercommunitary transaction, I don't neet to pay IVA or IRFP.

What I want to know is if I need to declare that money in Spain, if I receive it a spanish bank account, and if I need to become autonomo to do so? If the colaboration goes well, I would like to become autonomo in Spain, but I would like to wait a few months first. I believe there is a limit of 12.000 euros that you can receive this way without having to become autonomo or pay taxes. Does anyone in Spain have any experience with that?

Thank you!
Collapse

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:00
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Several answers Feb 11, 2017

Yes, that's right.

What I want to know is if I need to declare that money in Spain, if I receive it a spanish bank account, and if I need to become autonomo to do so?

Yes, you have to declare this money and you have to be registered in Agencia Tributaria if you want to issue invoices (IAE) and operate within the UE (ROI).
This implies that you have to declare this money each 3 months and pay the IRPF you do not include in the invoice (as it's an UE transaction). You do that through the 130 form. You also have to inform each 3 months what UE firms you're working with (349 form).

I believe there is a limit of 12.000 euros that you can receive this way without having to become autonomo or pay taxes.

Not exactly. The limit is 12 x Salario Mínimo Interprofesional (SMI) = 12x707.60€ = 8,491.20€

Does anyone in Spain have any experience with that?

You'll find more information here:
http://www.proz.com/post/950993#950993

Have a nice weekend!
Monika

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Two years on? Feb 11, 2017

I'm wondering what you've been doing for the past two years re paying taxes and social contributions and getting health cover. But none of my business really.

I'm not a VAT expert as we don't have it in the Canary Islands. However, although it's correct that you don't add it to an invoice between Spain and Sweden, you do have to register here and get a VAT number. In mainland Spain everyone has to be registered.

The minimum without registering for social contributions a
... See more
I'm wondering what you've been doing for the past two years re paying taxes and social contributions and getting health cover. But none of my business really.

I'm not a VAT expert as we don't have it in the Canary Islands. However, although it's correct that you don't add it to an invoice between Spain and Sweden, you do have to register here and get a VAT number. In mainland Spain everyone has to be registered.

The minimum without registering for social contributions applies to irregular work. For example, you could have just one book to translate every now and again. It isn't for regular work with the same client. Certainly not for foreign immigrants who are doing it as their sole income and not contributing through a work contract.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ducking and diving Feb 15, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I

Before Spain joined the EU in 1990, it was really difficult, virtually impossible to get residency and a work permit without bribing an official or engaging in other underhand dealings. I worked doing TEFL for almost 3 years in a totally illegal situation (except during a summer course where I had a proper contract) - not because I wanted to, but there was nothing else for it. If you wanted to work, you had to be "on the black" in 9/10 cases. Between 1990 and the year 2000, things gradually got better, although also I found myself obliged to work illegally on occasion, either due to overwhelming bureaucracy or employer machinations. I've now been fully legal for over fifteen years, but it was a struggle getting there. I could recount several anecdotes that would beggar belief.

GMak
GMak
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 15, 2017

Thanks for the replies. I also asked some accountants in Spain and they told me pretty much the same thing.
I think I'll have to become autonomo in Spain and unregister in Greece.

Again, thank you all for replying!

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
IVA or IRFP Feb 15, 2017

GMak wrote:

Thank you!

Most of my invoices are like that and as fare as I know both you and the client have to have an EU registered VAT number for you to be able to issue an invoice to them without applying IVA (VAT).

IRPEF (income tax) is a different thing. I think about the first 7-8 thou are tax free.

Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Enrique Bjarne Strand Ferrer
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Cooperativa Feb 15, 2017

GMak wrote:

Hi everyone,

What I want to know is if I need to declare that money in Spain, if I receive it a spanish bank account, and if I need to become autonomo to do so? If the colaboration goes well, I would like to become autonomo in Spain, but I would like to wait a few months first. I believe there is a limit of 12.000 euros that you can receive this way without having to become autonomo or pay taxes. Does anyone in Spain have any experience with that?

Thank you!

An alternative is to join a cooperation. They will charge you a commission, but they will handle all paperwork and taxes, and in addition they will give you social security coverage.

http://www.cooperativaonline.com/

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:00
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
A very useful link from a very useful site Feb 15, 2017

GMak wrote:

This explains exactly what you can and can't do: http://infoautonomos.eleconomista.es/blog/sanciones-sin-dar-alta-en-autonomos/

@Neilmac: That must have been difficult. I had a small sample of it in France when I wanted to start giving two hours a week of English lessons in the local community centre, starting in October - and nothing else that year. I was told by all the "experts" that I simply HAD to pay thousands of francs towards a pension scheme. Of course, that was absurd! It was my only experience of working "au noir" as I finally spoke to someone who said "Oh, but if you're earning less than a certain amount then you're exempt". Duh!

Susannah DALE
Susannah DALE  Identity Verified
Spain
French to English
+ ...
Bear in mind the cost of being "autónomo" in Spain Mar 10, 2017

GMak wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I also asked some accountants in Spain and they told me pretty much the same thing.

It costs around 270 euros a month to be self-employed in Spain. So you need to be fairly established in order for it to be worth making that commitment.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2017-03-10 09:42 GMT]

Monika Jakacka Márquez
Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Check the so-called "tarifa plana" Mar 10, 2017

Blind Clam wrote:

GMak wrote:

It costs around 270 euros a month to be self-employed in Spain. So you need to be fairly established in order for it to be worth making that commitment.
Good luck!

[Edited at 2017-03-10 09:42 GMT]

There are some reductions of Social Security paymens for new "autonomos", people >30 years old, etc. This is the so-called "tarifa plana para autónomos". You'll find additional information here:
http://infoautonomos.eleconomista.es/seguridad-social/tarifa-plana-autonomos-50-euros-mayores-30-jovenes/

Regards,
Monika

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I need to become autonomo or no?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »