Lany Chabot-Laroche
Lany Chabot-Laroche  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:28
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
... Sep 16, 2020

I can try, but short of sending me cash in the mail, I don't see what they can do. You can't get a Euro Visa card here.

Adam Dickinson
Adam Dickinson  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:28
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transferwise borderless (multicurrency) account is your best bet Sep 16, 2020

Cristina Crişan wrote:

However, I'm not sure whether you can add to PayPal a euro account if you're not based in the EU.

You can [edit - on Transferwise, not on PayPal that I know of] - Canadians can get local account details in EUR, GBP, USD, AUD and NZD. In the case of EUR, I get local bank details in Brussels that my European clients can deposit to using a normal SEPA transfer, which is free. I can then transfer from my EUR account with transferwise to my Canadian bank. As Cristina said, it costs a few Euros and the conversion rate they give is much better than the banks or (especially) PayPal.

My experience getting bank transfers from European clients is that both the outgoing bank and the receiving bank charge some kind of commission, meaning that in many cases I can be out a good $50 or so. When I've had clients who insisted on paying via bank transfer to my Canadian account, I would do as Tina suggested and wait to invoice until I'd accumulated a high enough amount and invoice it all at once.

@Robert - I've used both PayPal and Transferwise to pay people in the EU. Generally, if people invoice me in euros, both platforms allow me to pay from my CAD accounts in such a way that the person I'm sending money to gets the amount they invoiced in EUR.

[Edited at 2020-09-16 15:20 GMT]

Noel McCourt

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Adam Sep 16, 2020

Adam Dickinson wrote:

Cristina Crişan wrote:

However, I'm not sure whether you can add to PayPal a euro account if you're not based in the EU.

@Robert - I've used both PayPal and Transferwise to pay people in the EU. Generally, if people invoice me in euros, both platforms allow me to pay from my CAD accounts in such a way that the person I'm sending money to gets the amount they invoiced in EUR.

[Edited at 2020-09-16 15:20 GMT]

Thank you.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Transferwise Sep 17, 2020

Transferwise is the bee's knees when it comes to a transfer/conversion transaction. I've been using it for 3 years and have nothing but great experiences with it. Bank transfers are very expensive in comparison.

That said, they are growing rapidly and are threatening to raise their rates. Use it now before they commit hari kiri by changing their winning plan. Their main competitor is xe.com, which I have never used.

Noel McCourt

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving Euros in Canada

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »