Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Dear Colleagues, Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (see attache
Thread poster: Rustem Bashirov
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Arabic Forum Feb 13, 2017

You should also post on the Arabic forum for more assistance.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:54
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Indeed, are they actually words at all? Feb 13, 2017

In my first reply here, I suggested that the inscription round the rim of the bowl might not be words at all but merely a decorative frieze.
That's why it would be worth finding out where and when the bowl was probably made.
Many goods (ceramics, silverware, furniture, bronzes, etc.) were produced in eastern countries in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries to supply the European market - and perhaps the Russian market too.
As José Enrique says, maybe the silversmith was copying
... See more
In my first reply here, I suggested that the inscription round the rim of the bowl might not be words at all but merely a decorative frieze.
That's why it would be worth finding out where and when the bowl was probably made.
Many goods (ceramics, silverware, furniture, bronzes, etc.) were produced in eastern countries in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries to supply the European market - and perhaps the Russian market too.
As José Enrique says, maybe the silversmith was copying a piece of text he found somewhere and got it upside-down or back to front?
Think, for example, of today's T-shirts perhaps produced in China, Japan or India, bearing "English" words (sometimes mis-spelled) which appear pretty meaningless to an English speaker.
Can the person who gave you the bowl tell you where he/she got it or give you any clues?
Please let us know what you discover - I'm intrigued now.

[Edited at 2017-02-13 12:13 GMT]
Collapse

Darius Sciuka
Darius Sciuka  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 08:54
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
OT Feb 13, 2017

I think it means: One bowl to rule them all...

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Arabic script Feb 13, 2017

In the middle image on your FB page, I (think I) recognize the Arabic word "Al-Rahman" - which is one of God's names/attributes meaning "The Most Merciful."

I think I also see the word "Allah" (God) in the first image.

Again, it is definitely Arabic script, but it could still be Farsi or another language.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
I know an Urdu and Farsi translator Feb 13, 2017

I forwarded the links to her, but she couldn't open them. Can you send the pictures some other way so that she can open the links and look at them? She will be able to tell if they're Urdu or Farsi, or maybe some other language.

Rustem Bashirov
Rustem Bashirov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:54
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Seems, the Arabic script is translated Feb 14, 2017

Dear colleagues,

Seems, Arabic meaning is clear now

I thank all of you for your interest in the subject

Special thanx to Matthias Brombach, Sasan Zangeneh Bar and José Henrique Lamensdorf

-By advise of Matthias Brombach I posted the request to Farsi forum

-At the forum, by courtesy of Sasan Zangeneh Bar, I received the translation <
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Seems, Arabic meaning is clear now

I thank all of you for your interest in the subject

Special thanx to Matthias Brombach, Sasan Zangeneh Bar and José Henrique Lamensdorf

-By advise of Matthias Brombach I posted the request to Farsi forum

-At the forum, by courtesy of Sasan Zangeneh Bar, I received the translation
http://www.proz.com/forum/persian_farsi/311738-is_it_farsi_written_on_the_bowl.html
http://www.proz.com/post/2628631#2628631

-José Henrique Lamensdorf frameworked the overall idea of potenitial fallacy which eventually took place in the end. The beautiful script, perceived at first glance as of an Arabic origin (aka Islamic, or Islam-related text), turned to be actually having nothing with Islam (where wine is forbidden or haram)
Collapse

Natasha Ziada (X)
Natasha Ziada (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 15:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Fallacy? Feb 14, 2017

I don't think this is what José meant by a fallacious text - if the text is indeed (part of) a poem by a renowned poet, it could well a legitimate text, not just some ramblings/non-sensical words as often seen in tattoos, touristic trinkets, etc., which I believe is what José referred to.

The fact it's about wine doesn't mean it's not legitimate; Arabic as a language can certainly be used for describing non-Islamic topics. Plus it appears not actually to be Arabic, but Farsi (whic
... See more
I don't think this is what José meant by a fallacious text - if the text is indeed (part of) a poem by a renowned poet, it could well a legitimate text, not just some ramblings/non-sensical words as often seen in tattoos, touristic trinkets, etc., which I believe is what José referred to.

The fact it's about wine doesn't mean it's not legitimate; Arabic as a language can certainly be used for describing non-Islamic topics. Plus it appears not actually to be Arabic, but Farsi (which uses the same script but a completely different vocabulary/foundation). Or was there a reason you were expecting it to be an Arabic, Islamic text?
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The fallacy explained Feb 14, 2017

Natasha Ziada wrote:

The fact it's about wine doesn't mean it's not legitimate; Arabic as a language can certainly be used for describing non-Islamic topics. Plus it appears not actually to be Arabic, but Farsi (which uses the same script but a completely different vocabulary/foundation). Or was there a reason you were expecting it to be an Arabic, Islamic text?

The fallacy lies in the possibility of an artist copying text with no clue about its meaning.

CASE 1

I worked with a local training media distributor here in Brazil for over two decades. Still do, but now only occasionally. I began when they had just moved from 16 mm film to VHS (for the younger ones, it's an analog video TAPE media format used in the past century).

One day, the video library girl there, a complete "ananglophone" (a neologism I've invented to say she spoke/understood NO English at all) decided to tidy up all film reels, label their cans, sort them alphabetically on shelves. Of course, she had to thread the unlabeled ones through her moviola to check the title.

The owner/founder, a good friend, a man who has been able to remain continuously in a good mood in spite of adversities* for over seven decades now, showed me a few film cans on his desk, and told me to read the labels the girl had put there. A few ones:
- Universal Film Leader
- Film Starts Here
- FBI Warning (from that copyright notice)

* For instance, he is the only person I've heard of that was stranded at the boarding gate with boarding passes (not mere tickets) when each of BOTH airlines - Braniff and PanAm - was grounded worldwide, effective immediately.

CASE 2

My ex-wife once brought from Canada three very nice sweaters, all of them embroidered with three ideograms, the same ones, as far as we could tell. No idea on what they said. In those days, oriental people in Sao Paulo were not as pervasive as they are today. However every time Chinese people saw that, they laughed discreetly. Once she asked a Chinese man what it meant, and he replied "Oh, no, I couldn't tell you that!" Then she asked a Chinese woman, who spoke Portuguese very badly, and her response was "I don't know how to say it in your language, but I'd never dare to wear that in public."

Eventually my ex- got rid of those clothes, but we never learned what those ideograms meant.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dear Colleagues, Please help me to figure out what is the language written on the bowl (see attache

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »