Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:24
English to German
+ ...
Will answer... Mar 23, 2021

Wojciech Sztukowski wrote:

1. Is character counting both in source and in target a standard feature, or do we have to wait until Trados 2027?
2. Is adding more than one AutoSuggest dictionary at once, with CTRL pressed, possible, or do we have to wait until Trados 2029?
3. Has the absurd problem with slow termbase display depending on the screen position been solved, or do we have to wait until Trados 2031?
4. Do I still have to use an add-in to add term with one click, just by selecting the words in source and target, or do we have to wait until Trados 2033?

Thank you for your answers!

...in 2035

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:24
English to Russian
Wrong points Mar 23, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:
Wojciech Sztukowski wrote:
1. Is character counting both in source and in target a standard feature, or do we have to wait until Trados 2027?
2. Is adding more than one AutoSuggest dictionary at once, with CTRL pressed, possible, or do we have to wait until Trados 2029?
3. Has the absurd problem with slow termbase display depending on the screen position been solved, or do we have to wait until Trados 2031?
4. Do I still have to use an add-in to add term with one click, just by selecting the words in source and target, or do we have to wait until Trados 2033?
Thank you for your answers!

...in 2035
This was written by a person who hardly ever uses Trados. Those assumptions are wrong mostly. I add terms "with one click, just by selecting words in source and target", for years now (from Studio 2014). And there is no termbase display at all. And you add AutoSuggest dictionaries just once in 'Options'. Every time you create a new project, all those AutoSuggest dictionaries are already there.
Number 1 — I never knew I could need it at all...
There are other major issues like that when cursor disappears from target segment without any chance to recover it. Or 'shifted' cursor when I cannot copy text from Concordance. There are still bugs to fix, but not those listed.

[Edited at 2021-03-23 17:57 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
AutoSuggest v. fragment match Mar 23, 2021

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:
2. No need to add any AutoSuggest dictionaries. The fragment match extracts terms from any TM that you upgrade.
AutoSuggest is not the same as fragment match. However this "problem" is no problem at all. It can be solved by adding all those AutoSuggest dictionaries in Options just once. I also used to complain about it until I found out this Options behavior.

[Edited at 2021-03-23 17:28 GMT]

Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
The 2021 Trados Studio manual Apr 18, 2021

...is finally published. Due to time and space constraint, it does not cover the new Trados Live online editing functions (that will have to come later, in a separate document), but it does cover all the cloud functions that can be accessed from within Studio, as well as all the other new features of Studio 2021.

And if I may, I'l like to quote one review, by "Grigori" (I have no idea who that is): "I rarely use Studio anymore, but I keep buying the updated version just because of t
... See more
...is finally published. Due to time and space constraint, it does not cover the new Trados Live online editing functions (that will have to come later, in a separate document), but it does cover all the cloud functions that can be accessed from within Studio, as well as all the other new features of Studio 2021.

And if I may, I'l like to quote one review, by "Grigori" (I have no idea who that is): "I rarely use Studio anymore, but I keep buying the updated version just because of the sheer joy of reading an excellent and easy to digest manual for a CAT tool! HIGHLY recommended." (Taken from the reviews on the SDL AppStore site.)

Read more here (and even buy it):

http://tradosstudiomanual.com
Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
mmm.... Apr 19, 2021

you have to buy the manual? Never heard of this... you buy anything, you get the manual for free?

[Edited at 2021-04-19 11:56 GMT]

Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Service Apr 19, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

you have to buy the manual? Never heard of this... you buy anything, you get the manual for free?

[Edited at 2021-04-19 11:56 GMT]

For service, you have to buy a separate license, which also strikes me as odd.

[Edited at 2021-04-19 12:15 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Giovanni Apr 19, 2021

You have to buy the manual? Never heard of this... you buy anything, you get the manual for free?

Firstly, it's not odd that software is sold without the manual and that you have to buy the manual separately. But this is not the case here.

Secondly, the manual in question is an unofficial manual that was written by someone not affiliated with Trados. Trados has its own help files and they are free, but if you want a manual that is better than Trados' own manual, you can buy it from someone who wrote it. Again, this is not unusual: just look at how many manuals for e.g. Microsoft Word you can buy -- and they are all written by people who do not work for Microsoft.

Stepan Konev

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:24
Member (2004)
English to Italian
ok... Apr 20, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Firstly, it's not odd that software is sold without the manual and that you have to buy the manual separately.

I find it odd...

Secondly, the manual in question is an unofficial manual that was written by someone not affiliated with Trados. Trados has its own help files and they are free, but if you want a manual that is better than Trados' own manual, you can buy it from someone who wrote it. Again, this is not unusual: just look at how many manuals for e.g. Microsoft Word you can buy -- and they are all written by people who do not work for Microsoft.

Didn't realise this... then, paying for it makes more sense...

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mats' manual is highly recommended Apr 20, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

You have to buy the manual? Never heard of this... you buy anything, you get the manual for free?

Firstly, it's not odd that software is sold without the manual and that you have to buy the manual separately. But this is not the case here.

As Samuel says, Mats' manual is not from SDL (now RWS): Mats begun writing his manual for Trados Studio several versions (of the program) ago, and has since published a new version of the manual for each version (major and minor) of Studio ever since. Mats' manual is much better (and more useful) than SDL's own documentation (I believe that Mats begun writing the manual precisely because he found SDL's documentation so badly organized.)

The two indispensable resources for Trados Studio are Mats' manual and Paul Filkin's blog (unlike Mats, Paul does work for RWS/SDL).

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Duplicate of https://www.proz.com/topic/352591
Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
I wonder if they'll ever fix... Aug 18, 2021

... how Trados handles TM syncing across multi-file projects. I've just scraped out of one of them. Had a huge TM with crappy translations, so I wanted to make new and better ones. Lots of repetitions, but each time I did a pre-translate, it would give me the old crap again. I updated the TM under batch tasks, then uploaded and reuploaded all my finished xliffs with a check mark saying "delete existing translation units" – nothing helped, I still had to verify each pre-translated segment and c... See more
... how Trados handles TM syncing across multi-file projects. I've just scraped out of one of them. Had a huge TM with crappy translations, so I wanted to make new and better ones. Lots of repetitions, but each time I did a pre-translate, it would give me the old crap again. I updated the TM under batch tasks, then uploaded and reuploaded all my finished xliffs with a check mark saying "delete existing translation units" – nothing helped, I still had to verify each pre-translated segment and cull unwanted ones. Often, when encountering empty segments, I'd remember having translated them under the same project but Trados wouldn't see them, not even through a concordance search (after all the TM updates), so I had to reopen the file where they were translated and manually click Ctrl+Enter a couple of times (just to be safe), and then the translations would pop up in the other file. Just a bit of old Trados rant; I know there might be some clever way to force-sync all you want to sync and nothing else (I could have made a separate TM containing just my xliffs, e. g.), but the multitude of ways in which this software can fail you is truly remarkableCollapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Pls see https://www.proz.com/topic/352591
Mats Linder
Mats Linder  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
The second edition of the Trados Studio 2021 is now out Oct 17, 2021

Regarding what Riccardo says: I began writing it (in 2012) when I saw that the manual -- which up to the time when Workbench became Studio had been included -- had been discontinued.

I can add that a new edition is published roughly every 6 months and is sent to all who bought the manual. When a new Studio version is released, the corresponding manual is not free of charge, but buyers of a previous version can get it at half price.

A problem is of course that because th
... See more
Regarding what Riccardo says: I began writing it (in 2012) when I saw that the manual -- which up to the time when Workbench became Studio had been included -- had been discontinued.

I can add that a new edition is published roughly every 6 months and is sent to all who bought the manual. When a new Studio version is released, the corresponding manual is not free of charge, but buyers of a previous version can get it at half price.

A problem is of course that because the software keeps getting more complicated and includes more features, so will the manual be thicker all the time, which is really not a good thing. Not to mention the fact that I still haven't managed to cover the Trados Live version (and I hesitate before the work that this will entail).

Anyway, if you are interested, take a look here:
http://tradosstudiomanual.com/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2021 is coming soon!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »