Thread poster: John Dawson
John Dawson
John Dawson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2018

Just getting started with Studio 2019 and tired of squinting at the 8pt typeface. I have done the following:
- Clicked on File
- Clicked on Options
- Clicked on Font Adaptations
- Changed Minimum Source Font Size and Minimum Target Font Size to 12
- Clicked on OK
Nothing changes.
Saved file, closed app. Reloaded app. No change.
The above steps were repeated twice. No change.
Suggestions??

Thanks very much!

Janine Teuscher
Janine Teuscher  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:07
English to German
+ ...
Font size in Trados Nov 27, 2018

Hello John,

the Font Adaptations only change the font within the editor, i.e. the source text and the translation. If I change the font size, this is immediately applied when I click on OK. I set the Minimum and Maximum Source/Target Font Size to 14 and now it's always 14. Maybe having the same size in all these fields might help.

If you want to change the font size of the user interface, however, you would have to change the settings for your entire operating system as
... See more
Hello John,

the Font Adaptations only change the font within the editor, i.e. the source text and the translation. If I change the font size, this is immediately applied when I click on OK. I set the Minimum and Maximum Source/Target Font Size to 14 and now it's always 14. Maybe having the same size in all these fields might help.

If you want to change the font size of the user interface, however, you would have to change the settings for your entire operating system as Trados unfortunately doesn't provide that option.

Let me know, if you need help with that.

Kind regards,

Janine

[Edited at 2018-11-27 14:20 GMT]
Collapse

John Dawson
John Dawson  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That worked, Janine - thanks very much! Nov 27, 2018

Thank you for the help - much appreciated!

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:07
French to English
+ ...
In the Editor screen - View - Font adaptation Nov 30, 2018

Hi,
You don't have to change any Windows settings.
To change dynamically the font size, in the Editor screen, Press the View tab. The last item on the right is the Font Adaptation Group.
HTH,
Sandra

Capture

Pablo Garcia
Maite Clausell Menero
Betina Rodríguez Vedoya
Michael Harris
Maria Fernanda Gonzalez

Pablo Garcia
Pablo Garcia
English to Spanish
+ ...
Right solution May 2, 2019

Yep, it can be done as Sandra &Kenneth say...

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Works! Mar 19, 2020

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Hi,
To change dynamically the font size, in the Editor screen, Press the View tab. The last item on the right is the Font Adaptation Group.
HTH,
Sandra

Capture

Brilliant, thanks for this tip as the options window thingy didn´t work for me either

John Dawson

Melanie Landeau
Melanie Landeau
Argentina
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
Font size of the UI vs font size of the editor part May 16, 2020

What John was asking for was to enlarge the font of Trados UI, not the font size of the source/target.
The only way to do that is as Janine said, a Windows setting. The other solutions provided are only for the font size of the editor part, source and target.

Greetings.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Works May 17, 2020

Michael Harris wrote:

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Hi,
HTH,
Sandra

Capture

Brilliant, thanks for this tip as the options window thingy didn´t work for me either

Remains to see why the option is available in Options and not working...

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Font size for TM Aug 12, 2020

I think the question might refer to the size of the TM results, which is difficult to find:
-> File -> Options -> Editor -> Translation results -> change font at bottom of screen
Do the same in the two other "results" windows and you should be able to see more clearly the text.

Yves Lanthier
Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 18:07
English to French
"other 'results' windows" Aug 21, 2020

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:

I think the question might refer to the size of the TM results, which is difficult to find:
-> File -> Options -> Editor -> Translation results -> change font at bottom of screen
Do the same in the two other "results" windows and you should be able to see more clearly the text.

I'm right there, but can't find "other 'results' windows". Can you help find them?

Yves Lanthier
Yves Lanthier
Canada
Local time: 18:07
English to French
Got it Aug 23, 2020

Top of Term Recognition window itself, hovering the third icon displays "Hitlist settings", so this is it. Clicking this third icon pops a window with plenty of font characteristics, which can be different for source and target terms.
(I didn't find it before probably because of a delay when hovering, and/or I probably would have had to click somewhere in Studio 2019 (or 2021) to make it the active app) ).

P.E.A.M. INGHELS
P.E.A.M. INGHELS
Netherlands
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
An oldie but a goldie: how to enlarge the font of the *Trados UI* Apr 14, 2021

Please read that again: how to enlarge the font of * the Trados UI *. Sorry guys, but I find that nowadays I need a magnifying glass to read the Trados user interface (and NOT the Editor view, I know how to enlarge the font in there).

How is that the UI font in SDL Trados appears to be shrinking with each version? Is it coded by fifteen-year-olds? I am not a f*ing bat! So please, anyone?

AnnaSCHTR
Louise Diggle
Giuseppe Bellone
Edwin Mize

AnnaSCHTR
AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
For all Windows 10 apps Apr 14, 2021

I have the same problem in many Windows apps (Thunderbird being one of the worst). I use a simple program called "System font size changer" that changes the size of menus etc. It is kind of a primitive solution, and the changes get lost with each big Windows update, but it's easy to do it again.

Angela Dunskus-Gulick
Angela Dunskus-Gulick  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
German to English
+ ...
Did you find a solution? Apr 28, 2023

Did you ever find a solution to increasing the UI font size? I have the same issue on my new laptop with Studio 2021. It's driving me nuts. I've even adjusted the fonts in Windows, and other programs respond to my new settings, but not Studio. So frustrating.

Philippe Noth
Philippe Noth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
High DPI display? May 4, 2023

Hi Angela,

Did you ever find a solution to increasing the UI font size? I have the same issue on my new laptop with Studio 2021. It's driving me nuts. I've even adjusted the fonts in Windows, and other programs respond to my new settings, but not Studio. So frustrating.

Out of curiosity, did you buy a high dpi (4K) laptop?

There are many threads about how Studio manages high dpi displays in the RWS Knowledge Base and in the Community, for example:
https://gateway.sdl.com/apex/communityknowledge?articleName=000001872

Alas, these are workarounds, AFAIK there is still no perfect solution. I even specifically purchased a non-4K laptop last autumn to avoid these issues. However, I can reassure you that even with a 4K laptop, you can work in Studio, I did it for several years. Sometimes a dialog box would be messed up, but the main working environment was mostly OK after adjusting some obscure settings. Multiterm is a much bigger problem, though.

You can adjust several high-DPI related settings in the application shortcut. That is better than tweaking system-wide settings. See for example here:
https://community.rws.com/product-groups/trados-portfolio/trados-studio/f/multiterm/20404/managing-fonts-in-termbase-viewer-impossible

Hope it helps.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adjusting screen font size in Studio 2019

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »