Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Jun 19, 2012

อยากจะสอบถามถึงประกาศนียบัตรของนักแปลในประเทศไทย ผมเรียนเอกไทยที่ ม.แม่ฟ้าหลวง แล้วในขณะนี้รับงานอิสระอยู่
ถ้าใครมีคำแนะนำอะไรก็พร้อมจะรับฟัง

ขอบคุณครับ

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:29
English to Thai
+ ...
Universities Jun 20, 2012

As I know, many universities and colleges offer translation course in undergraduate and graduate degree. Vocational schools and polytechnic schools offer the same. We have a translator association but few resources are used by professional translators.
This can be an underdeveloped situation of translation business in Thailand. However, I observe that some Prozians who are Thai university instructors are quite active on translation of the Thai language.
The Royal Academy is a leadi
... See more
As I know, many universities and colleges offer translation course in undergraduate and graduate degree. Vocational schools and polytechnic schools offer the same. We have a translator association but few resources are used by professional translators.
This can be an underdeveloped situation of translation business in Thailand. However, I observe that some Prozians who are Thai university instructors are quite active on translation of the Thai language.
The Royal Academy is a leading institute to localize and standardize translation of foreign languages into Thai. They annually organize the Translation day for Thailand.
For legal and official translation offered to courts and notary public, you may apply and gain credential from respective organizations e.g. Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand.

Soonthon Luplitaro
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
Translator Accreditation Jun 20, 2012

Thank you Arjan.

While my major was Thai language, translation was hardly focused on at MFU. Apart from my Bachelors Degree, there were no other accreditations that MFU could offer in terms of 'translation'.

I am currently based in Chiang Mai, have looked but haven't found any courses offered by CMU and the Thai courses offered there are far too basic to have any value to me. Are you familiar with any in this area of the country?

Also, how does one become
... See more
Thank you Arjan.

While my major was Thai language, translation was hardly focused on at MFU. Apart from my Bachelors Degree, there were no other accreditations that MFU could offer in terms of 'translation'.

I am currently based in Chiang Mai, have looked but haven't found any courses offered by CMU and the Thai courses offered there are far too basic to have any value to me. Are you familiar with any in this area of the country?

Also, how does one become a member of the Royal Academy? This is interesting, can you provide any links?

I have recently applied for freelance contracts with the Ministry of Environment. They mentioned that if they are pleased with my output they will register me as an expert in translation for the Ministry of Environment. Is this what you were referring to?

Dylan J. Hartmann
Collapse

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
My replies Jun 20, 2012

>Few courses are available in this country.

>They are sub
... See more
>Few courses are available in this country.

>They are subjects in post graduate courses mainly for TH>EN pair, not EN>TH pair e.g. in school of liberal arts or linguistics (mainly for Thai students).

Also, how does one become a member of the Royal Academy? This is interesting, can you provide any links?
>No free membership. Scholars can be members under nomination of the King etc. The Academy is functional to screen new academic terms from foreign sources.

I have recently applied for freelance contracts with the Ministry of Environment. They mentioned that if they are pleased with my output they will register me as an expert in translation for the Ministry of Environment. Is this what you were referring to?
>Let's seek information from Ministries of Justice, Foreign Affairs etc. Do not expect much, this system in Thailand is underdevelopment e.g. non-certified translators are also listened to in court trials.
I am not interested to be certified in Thailand although I started earning from translation in 1970s; it is not a much professional procedure.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
Resource person Jun 25, 2012

Dear Dylan

The person below can be very helpful to you. She is also a Proz member.

Maneeratana Sawasdiwat Na Ayutthaya

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Dylan J Hartmann
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
NAATI Mar 15, 2018

I ended up gaining certification with NAATI via a very strict exam.

NAATI is the Australian translators and interpreters accreditation authority and has global recognition.

I can personally vouch for the difficulty of the exam, which has a 90% failure rate.

I highly recommend any professional Thai-English translator to get this accreditation because the demand for certified NAATI translators is very high.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ประกาศนียบัตรของนักการแปลในประเทศไทย

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »