Rodna Ruskovska
Rodna Ruskovska  Identity Verified
North Macedonia
Local time: 11:13
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Feb 18, 2008

Dear Swedish translators,

First of all sorry for writing in English in a Swedish forum but I have a burning issue that I want to resolve and you are the real people that can actually help me. I have just finished a project for a Swedish agency and it seems that they have slightly different rules when charging is concerned.

My problem is with the single files that they send containing several individual official documents. They send, for example, three official less than
... See more
Dear Swedish translators,

First of all sorry for writing in English in a Swedish forum but I have a burning issue that I want to resolve and you are the real people that can actually help me. I have just finished a project for a Swedish agency and it seems that they have slightly different rules when charging is concerned.

My problem is with the single files that they send containing several individual official documents. They send, for example, three official less than 1 page documents such as certificates and legal documents in one single pdf file.

How would you charge such a document in Sweden? What is the usual practice?

Thanks sooooooo much

Rodna
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
What says the purchase order? Feb 18, 2008

You must have made an agreement with your client or...?

Normally you charge per source word or target word.

Please tell us more details so that we could give you advice.

Mats

[Edited at 2008-02-18 16:06]

Rodna Ruskovska
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more details Feb 18, 2008

Thank you indeed for responding so quickly.

Yes, there is an agreed rate per word and an agreed minimum rate, but what confuses me is that where I am from all official documents such as certificates which are less than 350 words are considered as one document and are charged seperately, regardless of the fact that they might all be sent in one word file - meaning that if the word file contains 3 certificates I would normally charge for a minimum rate for each ceritificate separate
... See more
Thank you indeed for responding so quickly.

Yes, there is an agreed rate per word and an agreed minimum rate, but what confuses me is that where I am from all official documents such as certificates which are less than 350 words are considered as one document and are charged seperately, regardless of the fact that they might all be sent in one word file - meaning that if the word file contains 3 certificates I would normally charge for a minimum rate for each ceritificate separately, I would not charge per word for all 3 certificates together.

In Sweden - do you always charge per file i.e. per project regardless how many such official individual documents it contains?

I hope it is a bit clearer now.

Thank you all very, very much.

Rodna
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
I have no experience I'm sorry to say Feb 18, 2008

I do not translate such documents, so you'll have to wait/hope for somebody who does, or you must discuss it with your client.

Best

Mats

Catherine Brix
Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Kinda sneaky, huh? Feb 18, 2008

To avoid minimum charges it isn't uncommon for agencies to group files under one and the same project, even if they're unrelated. Of course, it's up to you to decide if you want to accept this practice or not. On the other hand, Swedish rates are pretty high compared to the European rates I've seen so you might find it advantageous after all.

ATB
Catherine

Rodna Ruskovska
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Feb 18, 2008

.... and lets hope someone who has had an experience with such documents will answer.

Regards,
Rodna

Rodna Ruskovska
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sneaky indeed :) Feb 18, 2008

Thanks a lot Catherine
Your words are wise and calming in a way...

Personally I think that that practice is quite unfair and can be frustrating because you feel that the agencies are trying to get the lowest possible price ever from you and even trick you on top of that..... So you end up feeling like a fool for being nice and good and responsive and fair...
See more
Thanks a lot Catherine
Your words are wise and calming in a way...

Personally I think that that practice is quite unfair and can be frustrating because you feel that the agencies are trying to get the lowest possible price ever from you and even trick you on top of that..... So you end up feeling like a fool for being nice and good and responsive and fair

What I did was ask for an official document from the agency on what their rules concerning this are and I didn't get anything .... I think I'll ask again....

All the best,
Rodna
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

charging for a translation/word count

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »