Views/consensus on puncutation in subtitles?
Thread poster: Ruby Phelps
Ruby Phelps
Ruby Phelps  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:24
Chinese to English
May 24, 2020

Hi all,

I'm new to subtitling and I apologise if this question has come up on these forums before! I understand there is some difference of views regarding whether or not you should include some kinds of punctuation in subtitles, and that these conventions vary by language/region. I'm thinking mainly about things like full stops/periods and commas at the ends of lines, rather than question marks or exclamation marks.

I translate from Chinese to English, and in Chinese
... See more
Hi all,

I'm new to subtitling and I apologise if this question has come up on these forums before! I understand there is some difference of views regarding whether or not you should include some kinds of punctuation in subtitles, and that these conventions vary by language/region. I'm thinking mainly about things like full stops/periods and commas at the ends of lines, rather than question marks or exclamation marks.

I translate from Chinese to English, and in Chinese it is standard to leave out lots of the punctuation, including most full stops, commas and so on.

Any views on the conventions in English?

If the client has no strong preference, or is unsure, do you think it is better to add the appropriate punctuation back in, or leave it out?
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:24
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Guidelines May 24, 2020

Hello Ruby,

The answer is in your target language guideline which your vendor provides. I've didnt hear "leaving full stops out" in any English language guideline when a sentence requires a full stop but there are some instructions about commas, question marks and exclamation marks. As far as I experience, usually there are no strict rules using commas at the end of a line, if subtitle (dialogue) continues in the second line or in the next subtitle. But consistency matters. Commas,
... See more
Hello Ruby,

The answer is in your target language guideline which your vendor provides. I've didnt hear "leaving full stops out" in any English language guideline when a sentence requires a full stop but there are some instructions about commas, question marks and exclamation marks. As far as I experience, usually there are no strict rules using commas at the end of a line, if subtitle (dialogue) continues in the second line or in the next subtitle. But consistency matters. Commas, question marks, exclamation marks are treated different in songs. If your vendor didn't/doesn't provide you any guideline, you can refer to these two Netflix guidelines.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/217350977-English-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/219375728-English-Template-Timed-Text-Style-Guide
Collapse

Aline Amorim

Ruby Phelps
Ruby Phelps  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:24
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
guidlines May 25, 2020

Sarper Aman wrote:

Hello Ruby,

The answer is in your target language guideline which your vendor provides. I've didnt hear "leaving full stops out" in any English language guideline when a sentence requires a full stop but there are some instructions about commas, question marks and exclamation marks. As far as I experience, usually there are no strict rules using commas at the end of a line, if subtitle (dialogue) continues in the second line or in the next subtitle. But consistency matters. Commas, question marks, exclamation marks are treated different in songs. If your vendor didn't/doesn't provide you any guideline, you can refer to these two Netflix guidelines.

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/217350977-English-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.com/hc/en-us/articles/219375728-English-Template-Timed-Text-Style-Guide

Hello Sarper,

Thanks a lot, these guides are just the kind of thing I need! My client didn't provide any guidlines whatsoever - I usually do regular document translations for them, and now just suddenly they also require some video.

Cheers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Views/consensus on puncutation in subtitles?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »