How much do subtitlers charge per 1000 words?
Thread poster: Clara Badia
Clara Badia
Clara Badia
Brazil
Local time: 10:25
English to Portuguese
Apr 27, 2020

Hey there, I'm new here and I'd like to know the average price that translators charge per our or 1000 words when subtitling a movie or TV show. Thanks a lot

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The price Apr 27, 2020

You don't charge per 1000 words, you charge per audio minute.

Aline Amorim

António Madeira
António Madeira
Portugal
Local time: 13:25
English to Portuguese
Brazil reference prices Apr 27, 2020

For a good source of prices in Brazil, you can check the following website:
https://www.sintra.org.br/valores-de-referencia/

Clara Badia

Clara Badia
Clara Badia
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Audio minute Apr 27, 2020

Hi Thayenga, thanks for clearing this out! Anyway, how much do you usually charge per audio minute?

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:25
French to Spanish
+ ...
Not per audio minute Apr 27, 2020

but from first to last image. At least in my case.
First question: do you know how to do it?

Clara Badia
Clara Badia
Brazil
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Still learning Apr 27, 2020

Hi Juan, thanks! I've got the language skills, but I'm still reading and practicing subtitling videos, as well as getting used to the programs and cat tools.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:25
English to Arabic
+ ...
No need to know what others charge Apr 27, 2020

Subtitling is "Translation + some more hassle".

First, examine the source material, and figure out nature of topic and how many words are there in total.

Then, apply the rate you would comfortably charge for translating that material + some additional % for going through the hassle of watching, listening, pausing and resuming.

That some % to be determined by you, as you're the one who will go through the hassle.

Per-minute-rate requires you to
... See more
Subtitling is "Translation + some more hassle".

First, examine the source material, and figure out nature of topic and how many words are there in total.

Then, apply the rate you would comfortably charge for translating that material + some additional % for going through the hassle of watching, listening, pausing and resuming.

That some % to be determined by you, as you're the one who will go through the hassle.

Per-minute-rate requires you to be good at estimating average number of spoken words per minute in the source material.

However, if you are given the source material as text-only without having to watch or listen, then it's just translation.
Collapse

AMSTEL TRANSLATIONS
Clara Badia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much do subtitlers charge per 1000 words?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »