Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Local time: 01:56
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 17, 2012

I am in Facebook.
When I go to Facebook, since a couple of days, Facebook asks me on the right side of the page a couple of questions. They want to know if I prefer one Translation or other.

Have you the same situation? Are you also asked?

I cannot remember if I offered Facebook my services as translator for free or something like that. Maybe I did, it could be.

Anyway, I think it is an extraordinarily terminology tool, if used inteligently.
... See more
I am in Facebook.
When I go to Facebook, since a couple of days, Facebook asks me on the right side of the page a couple of questions. They want to know if I prefer one Translation or other.

Have you the same situation? Are you also asked?

I cannot remember if I offered Facebook my services as translator for free or something like that. Maybe I did, it could be.

Anyway, I think it is an extraordinarily terminology tool, if used inteligently.

What is your opinion in general of Facebook?

Do you think soon we will have elections through Facebook?

I think it is better to have elections through Facebook than have Presidents apointed by Ms. Merkel or the World Bank like in Italy or Greece.
Collapse

Pavel Mondschein
Pavel Mondschein  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:56
English to Czech
+ ...
Crowdsourcing on Facebook Feb 17, 2012

This is standard part of crowdsourcing on Facebook. This has nothing in common with you being a translator - everybody gets these polls from time to time.

Speaking for myself, I have some general objections against use of crowdsourcing (lack of control and responsibility is really big issue there), but sometimes it can be the right way how to localize content and keep the costs low. Facebook is good example.

Safiye TINGIR
Safiye TINGIR  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 03:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
some says Mar 20, 2012

Pavel Mondschein wrote:

This is standard part of crowdsourcing on Facebook. This has nothing in common with you being a translator - everybody gets these polls from time to time.

Speaking for myself, I have some general objections against use of crowdsourcing (lack of control and responsibility is really big issue there), but sometimes it can be the right way how to localize content and keep the costs low. Facebook is good example.

Some says crowdsourcing translation is better than professional translators because they engage and they know terminology....
Facebook and twitter use their power for translation...

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:56
French to English
+ ...
Costs... Mar 21, 2012

Pavel Mondschein wrote:
but sometimes it can be the right way how to localize content and keep the costs low. Facebook is good example.

Interestingly, I don't think Facebook are doing this "to keep the costs low". They're a multibillion dollar company that, if they so wished, could probably afford to set their yearly translation budget higher than that of many countries' governments. And their crowdsourcing system didn't just magically fall out of the sky free of charge and effort: it's a whole infrastructure that they have to devote resources to developing and maintaining.

So what's interesting is that they probably chose to crowdsource based on non-financial criteria: perhaps to increase the notion of "community" among members, perhaps because they think the crowdsourced option is more suited to dynamically changing data...

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Facebook asks me

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »