Thread poster: Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:44
German to French
+ ...
Jan 6, 2012

After Ticker and Timeline, Facebook is about to launch the 3rd and final part of its new OpenGraph announced at the last Facebook f8 conference last September.

Facebook about to launch Actions, the final piece of its plan for frictionless sharing

Facebook’s ambitious plan to weave various actions we take across the web into the social network via “frictionless” sharing is finally ready to be deployed, VentureBeat has learned.

The remaining pieces of Facebook’s new Open Graph are in the final stages of testing and are nearing release, a source familiar with the matter told VentureBeat. The social networking company is quickly working to validate partners and could turn on the latest element, Facebook Actions, any day now or, at the most, in a few weeks, the source said.

The new Open Graph, unveiled at Facebook’s f8 developer conference in September, consists of three key elements: Timeline, Ticker and Actions. The first two pieces have been successfully deployed — although they both were met with some user resistance. Now, it’s time for the world to be introduced to a whole new type of social sharing with Actions. (Facebook told developers to expect the first Action approvals in January.)

“We’re currently focused on the rollout of Timeline, which already features several apps in the news, music and video categories. In the coming weeks, Timeline apps will launch in more categories, including fitness, sports, food, and travel,” a Facebook spokesperson told VentureBeat when asked about the deployment.

What are Actions, exactly? You already know what they are — you’ve been using them for months. Facebook previewed the new Open Graph capabilities with its own “Read,” “Listen” and “Watch” Actions (that’s why you’re always in the known when a Facebook friend listens to tracks on Spotify or reads an article from the Washington Post Social Reader). Facebook calls this kind of sharing frictionless because the actions are automatically posted to your Ticker or Timeline.

You can think of them as the new “Like” button, but Actions are instead used to document the behaviors you take elsewhere on the web. Actions are created and defined by third-party developers, and soon you’ll start to see them everywhere: in Ticker, News Feed and Timeline on Facebook, and in the applications or on the sites you’ve already come to love.

A cooking site, for instance, could create the “Cooked” action and associate that action with its collection of recipes. You’d then be able to click a button to indicate that you’ve cooked something and automatically share that update to Ticker. You’d also be able to add that same cooking application as a box to your Timeline, and in so doing show off all the recipes you’ve made in a small container on your Timeline.

Just how big of a deal is this? Facebook itself calls Actions (and their associated Objects) “the building blocks of Open Graph.”

Source: VentureBeat
http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/05/facebook-actions/

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:44
Hebrew to English
Jesus.... Jan 6, 2012

They really aren't doing themselves any favours.
I'm yet to meet anyone who likes Timeline....it looks like it was designed by a child with no practical or aesthetic thought at all. Just mindless graphics for the sake of it. It's a right mess.

Facebook need to realize they are not so popular that should another new social networking site crop up, they may suffer the same fate as myspace.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:44
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
timeline Jan 6, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

They really aren't doing themselves any favours.
I'm yet to meet anyone who likes Timeline....it looks like it was designed by a child with no practical or aesthetic thought at all. Just mindless graphics for the sake of it. It's a right mess.

d i t t o!

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Fate of myspace... Jan 6, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:
Facebook need to realize they are not so popular that should another new social networking site crop up, they may suffer the same fate as myspace.

Though it's interesting that Google+ has failed to make much inroads in that direction.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Apathy perhaps? Jan 6, 2012

I agree in that I thought Google+ would have made more of a dent....

Maybe social networking has reached its saturation point, or maybe the novelty has just worn off...

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:44
English
+ ...
I don’t know… Jan 6, 2012

But maybe not apathy… I once considered MySpace and then found out that everyone I know had stopped using it (in MySpace they tell you the last-logged-in date, so you actually know), so I went back to Facebook.

People use Facebook at this point in time, IMHO, not because it is good but because all their friends/peers are there so switching wouldn’t make sense. I don’t think there’s any other reason…

[Edited at 2012-01-06 18:05 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Facebook Action coming up

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »