how many minutes can be considered a reasonable subtitling test?
Thread poster: Zahraa Omar
Zahraa Omar
Zahraa Omar  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:56
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 28, 2020

Hello,

If you're familiar with subtitling and transcription, would you tell me if this is a "reasonable" subtitling test?

A company has just sent me a "free sample test" consisting of:

A- 5 minutes of media show video (to be subtitled from my source language into my native language) + the script (the transcription of the video in its source language).
B- 5 minutes of media show video (to be subtitled from from my source language into my native languag
... See more
Hello,

If you're familiar with subtitling and transcription, would you tell me if this is a "reasonable" subtitling test?

A company has just sent me a "free sample test" consisting of:

A- 5 minutes of media show video (to be subtitled from my source language into my native language) + the script (the transcription of the video in its source language).
B- 5 minutes of media show video (to be subtitled from from my source language into my native language) with no script (they said they've done this in purpose to test my quality in both transcribed and untranscribed videos).

I think this is a lot of work for a free sample test, but I'm not sure.

Would anyone agree/disagree with me? specially those who have experience in subtitling and would actually know how much work this is?

Thanks!
Collapse

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:56
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Looks... May 29, 2020

...fair to me, Zahraa.

I'm a subtitle translator and I think I've been to 6-7 tests. 10 min. in total, for both transcription and subtitling looks pretty fair to me. It's number of subtitles rather than minutes you should also consider. Around 70 to 100 subtitles for a test would be fine I guess. That's what I experienced so far.

Good luck!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how many minutes can be considered a reasonable subtitling test?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »