Need method/tool to find-replace in source text
Autor de la hebra: kd42

kd42
Estonia
Local time: 20:44
inglés al ruso
Jan 12

Good day,
What is a feasible way or [freeware] tool which can be used to find-replace the source data in a big (15kw) sdlxliff file? The changes that are required are simple, like "5mm" -> "5 mm" but they are numerous and randomly scattered in the source text.
Thank you.

mikhailo
Local time: 21:44
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Any text editor Jan 12

Any text editor like Notepad++

xliff - XML plain text file

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 18:44
Miembro 2014
japonés al inglés
CleanUp Tasks Jan 12

kd42 wrote:
What is a feasible way or [freeware] tool which can be used to find-replace the source data in a big (15kw) sdlxliff file?

Search the SDL AppStore for CleanUp Tasks and install it. That will replace text in the source using regexes, and a lot more besides. It works well for me. Read the help and examples carefully.

Dan

Stepan Konev

kd42
Estonia
inglés al ruso
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks a lot for your input, everyone Jan 13

Thanks for coming to help me, guys.
I tried both methods and will use MS Word as a text editor for search/replace, because it allows me to limit the range to the essential data, without damaging the rest of it.
I am not skilled enough to use Notepad or other text editors and limit the range to the data between certain tags.
I do not like the usability and philosophy of Studio plugins, won't use them.
Happy translating and thanks again!

Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Federación Rusa
Local time: 21:44
inglés al ruso
Thank you Dan Jan 13

Dan Lucas wrote:
Search the SDL AppStore for CleanUp Tasks and install it. That will replace text in the source using regexes, and a lot more besides. It works well for me. Read the help and examples carefully.

I didn't know of that plugin. A very useful feature. Loads of thanks.

@kd42
If you choose to use MS Word, you can use the following regex replacement (with 'Use wildcards' checkbox ticked):
Find what: ([0-9])([A-Za-z])
Replace with: \1 \2

This regex will find any number ([0-9]) followed by any letter, either upper or lower case ([A-Za-z]), and replace it with same element number one (\1) followed by space and followed by same element number two (\2).
The regex will cover chemical formulas like Na2SO4 => Na2 SO4. Therefore, use it carefully.
([0-9]) = \1
([A-Za-z]) = \2

[Edited at 2021-01-13 22:20 GMT]

kd42
Estonia
inglés al ruso
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks, Stepan Jan 14

Thanks a lot, Stepan, for reconfirming my approach.
Since Studio XLIFF contains two instances of source one of which must not be changed, I plan to apply bold font attribute to the ranges which may be changed, and then limit the find-replace passes to bold characters only.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need method/tool to find-replace in source text

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Búsqueda de términos
  • Trabajos
  • Foros
  • Multiple search