SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on - if and where to purchase?
Thread poster: Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy
Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:46
German to English
Aug 24, 2020

The topic of AutoSuggest has been raised with various iterations of SDL Studio.

I'm using 2019 Freelance Plus. The Create AutoSuggest Dictionary button is grayed out in my screen. I have a TM with 400,000 entries and would like to update the autosuggest.

I've asked SDL where I can buy the add-on. They directed me to a generic products page. Is the add-on a secret)

If I update to 2021, would I
... See more
The topic of AutoSuggest has been raised with various iterations of SDL Studio.

I'm using 2019 Freelance Plus. The Create AutoSuggest Dictionary button is grayed out in my screen. I have a TM with 400,000 entries and would like to update the autosuggest.

I've asked SDL where I can buy the add-on. They directed me to a generic products page. Is the add-on a secret)

If I update to 2021, would I get the add-on even if only for a month? That seems to have been the case with former versions of SDL Studio.

Thanks.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:46
English to Russian
I have AS Creator enabled in my copy of SDL Trados Studio 2021 Aug 24, 2020

However I bought SDL Trados Studio 2021 on pre-order. I am not sure if the pre-order purchase is a condition to having the AS Creator for free this time. (It was when the 2019 version was released.)
Weirdly, even if you press the 'Buy add-on' button here https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/autosuggest/ , it does not lead you to anything looking like the ad
... See more
However I bought SDL Trados Studio 2021 on pre-order. I am not sure if the pre-order purchase is a condition to having the AS Creator for free this time. (It was when the 2019 version was released.)
Weirdly, even if you press the 'Buy add-on' button here https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/autosuggest/ , it does not lead you to anything looking like the add-on purchase page.
Well, if they directed you to where you cannot actually buy the AS Creator, why not ask SDL Support for further clarification? Also asking your question at the SDL Community is worth trying. https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio
Collapse

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, its odd how difficult it is to find ... Aug 24, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Weirdly, even if you press the 'Buy add-on' button here https://www.sdltrados.com/products/trados-studio/autosuggest/ , it does not lead you to anything looking like the add-on purchase page.

CM: Yes, it is weird.

... ... why not ask SDL Support for further clarification? Also asking your question at the SDL Community is worth trying. https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

CM: Thanks for hints and link. I've done that now, and will update the thread if anything useful transpires.

Stepan Konev

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 08:46
English to Polish
+ ...
should be in the package? Aug 26, 2020

Hi,

I have 2017 freelance version and I have the Autousggest creator for free in the package. For some time, I had this option enabled and then greyed out, but wrote a letter to Trados that it should be in the package and they fixed the issue. So, first check the specification of your product whether it should be for free in the package. If so, then it is probably a technical issue.

In AppStore, there is creator for free
... See more
Hi,

I have 2017 freelance version and I have the Autousggest creator for free in the package. For some time, I had this option enabled and then greyed out, but wrote a letter to Trados that it should be in the package and they fixed the issue. So, first check the specification of your product whether it should be for free in the package. If so, then it is probably a technical issue.

In AppStore, there is creator for free for trados 2014

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/sdl-trados-studio-mt-autosuggest/399/

There is a sentence:
**Note this application has been provided as part of the product since Studio 2015**

Cheers
K.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
According to SDL Community Aug 26, 2020

it's integral to Studio 2021 Freelance and free now.

TranslateWithMe wrote:
**Note this application has been provided as part of the product since Studio 2015**

This statement is wrong (or means something like 'incorporated in the product but not enabled' or anything else).
When I purchased Studio 2019, they offered AC Creator as a bonus for pre-ordering Studio 2019:

Dear valued customer,
We are aware that you have been patiently waiting for the release of SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance. To show our appreciation, once Studio 2019 has been launched, we will ensure you also receive our AutoSuggest Creator add-on for free.
Sincerely,
Massimo Ghislandi,
EVP Translation Productivity,
SDL Language Solutions

Also see this picture:

However, it is delivered for free now and that is good news.

[Edited at 2020-08-26 14:18 GMT]

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 08:46
English to Polish
+ ...
hmmm... Aug 26, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

To show our appreciation, once Studio 2019 has been launched, we will ensure you also receive our AutoSuggest Creator add-on for free.
Sincerely,
Massimo Ghislandi,
EVP Translation Productivity,
SDL Language Solutions

So it seems that I made a good choice not to upgrade to Studio 2019. Autosuggest creator is a good option to have.

Stepan Konev

Conor Murphy
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL guru replies .... Sep 14, 2020

Conor Murphy wrote:

Stepan Konev wrote:

CM: Yes, it is weird.

... ... why not ask SDL Support for further clarification? Also asking your question at the SDL Community is worth trying. https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

CM: Thanks for hints and link. I've done that now, and will update the thread if anything useful transpires.

The info I received from this person reads, "Since SR2 of Studio 2017, you get autosuggest and fragment matching in the TM. By updating the TMs, you should get fragment matching without AS dictionary."

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
No Sep 14, 2020

Conor Murphy wrote:
Since SR2 of Studio 2017, you get autosuggest and fragment matching in the TM. By updating the TMs, you should get fragment matching without AS dictionary."

No. Autosuggest and fragment matching are two different concepts. Yes, the fragment matching mechanism suggests fragments automatically, but this is not the Autosuggest at all.

If the above-referenced statement was true, why do you think they used to offer it for payment or as an incentive?

Studio supports a number of suggestion mechanisms: term suggestions, autotext, autosuggest (the blue book icon, requires AS Creator), fuzzy match repair, fragment matches, concordance matches, etc. They are all useful but work differently.

[Edited at 2020-09-14 15:16 GMT]

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
autotext file Sep 14, 2020

Its pretty easy to extract the key terms from a TM using software such as TextSTAT then put them in an autotext file to import into the autotext feature of Trados. Then the terms will pop up in Trados.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you Sep 15, 2020

James Plastow wrote:
Its pretty easy to extract the key terms from a TM using software such as TextSTAT then put them in an autotext file to import into the autotext feature of Trados. Then the terms will pop up in Trados.

Thank you for this input. I could generate a frequency list from tmx but I need to think out some further strategy for that. Firstly, it takes 4 key strokes for Trados to suggest an autotext word, which means I have to filter words that are longer than 4 chars (6 to 7 chars or longer). Secondly, Russian words may have many forms. This results in TextSTAT giving many variants of the same word:
давление
давлением
давлениям
давлениями
давлении
давлений
давлению
давления
давлениях
etc...
Need some regex to remove short words first and then pick up the longest possible variant only ("давлениями" in the above example).
Ok, will fiddle with it. Thanks.

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
excel Sep 16, 2020

Hi Stepan,

Glad you liked the idea.
You can just put the frequency list in excel and use len() to sort by length and delete as required. I would have thought it would be useful to have all the word variations available in the autotext popup menu so that you can select the one you need when working?

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on - if and where to purchase?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »