Use of paragraph-based segmentation instead of full-stop etc.: two separate TMs?
Thread poster: Stefano Crivellaro
Stefano Crivellaro
Stefano Crivellaro  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:35
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2020

Hi all,

with some translation jobs I'd rather use paragraph-based segmentation instead of rule-based segmentation but I would like to make the (temporary) switch on the same TM (file-based) I use on a daily basis. It appears that SDL (2019) deletes the specific segmentation rules once you select paragraph-based segmentation. Should I then add to my project a second TM with the same language pair as the main one but with paragraph-based segmentation on instead of rule-based segmentat
... See more
Hi all,

with some translation jobs I'd rather use paragraph-based segmentation instead of rule-based segmentation but I would like to make the (temporary) switch on the same TM (file-based) I use on a daily basis. It appears that SDL (2019) deletes the specific segmentation rules once you select paragraph-based segmentation. Should I then add to my project a second TM with the same language pair as the main one but with paragraph-based segmentation on instead of rule-based segmentation? Is this the only way to do it? Wouldn't this cause both the main TM and second TM to get updated with the same TUs?
Thanks

Stefano
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think it's the fastest way Aug 13, 2020

I think it's the fastest way, yes.
And yes, by default both TMs would be updated with the same TUs. I don't think this is a problem, but if this bothers you, untick the Update checkbox in Translation Memory options so it'll always be an empty TM.

Stefano Crivellaro
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 13, 2020

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

How does SDL know that it should use paragraph-based segmentation of the newly created TM and not use rule-based segmentation of the main TM? Should I change any settings to have it work that way?

Thanks

Stefano

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Check this link Aug 13, 2020

Check this link to know the needed settings:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2013/01/10/translating-literature/

Stefano Crivellaro
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 14, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me to that blog posting.

Best regards

Stefano

Stefano Crivellaro
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I did Aug 14, 2020

I created a separate project based on the original project; I removed from the new project the TM of the original project and created a new TM where segmentation is paragraph-based.

[Edited at 2020-08-14 13:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Use of paragraph-based segmentation instead of full-stop etc.: two separate TMs?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »