Why it is difficult to format (bold, underline, italics etc) some of the Trados Studio files?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 00:17
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 27, 2020

Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. While I don't face any difficulty to format the text (i.e. making the text bold or italics, or underlining it) in Trados Studio files most of the times, but it is not possible to do some of the times which is very annoying and time consuming.

The Ctrl B, Ctrl U and Ctrl I shortcuts do not work.

And can someone please tell me what is the utility of Formatting window because b, u and i etc. all are there but they don't
... See more
Hi experts,

I have Trados Studio 2015. While I don't face any difficulty to format the text (i.e. making the text bold or italics, or underlining it) in Trados Studio files most of the times, but it is not possible to do some of the times which is very annoying and time consuming.

The Ctrl B, Ctrl U and Ctrl I shortcuts do not work.

And can someone please tell me what is the utility of Formatting window because b, u and i etc. all are there but they don't make the text bold, underlined or italics?

Since these are ineffective, I copy the bold text from the source segment and paste it in the target segment and then type in the text so as to make it bold or underlined etc. but it involves extra efforts and kills a great deal of time.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Probably formatting is not possible Jun 27, 2020

If you let us know the extension of the files that Trados Studio refuse to format with bold, italics and so on, I'd be more confident to say that probably it's not possible.
Do you think that you can apply bold formatting to a plain text file? You don't, right?
TXT files are not the only ones. Trados Studio doesn't know how to apply bold formatting in XML files. Is it the tag b or is it bold. Why not heavy or ThisTextIsBold?
I hope this helps you und
... See more
If you let us know the extension of the files that Trados Studio refuse to format with bold, italics and so on, I'd be more confident to say that probably it's not possible.
Do you think that you can apply bold formatting to a plain text file? You don't, right?
TXT files are not the only ones. Trados Studio doesn't know how to apply bold formatting in XML files. Is it the tag b or is it bold. Why not heavy or ThisTextIsBold?
I hope this helps you understand,
… Jesús Prieto …
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Jun 27, 2020

The extension of the file is .pptx. If Trados Studio does not allow formatting by pressing shortcuts i.e. Ctrl B, Ctrl I, Ctrl U, why does it allow to format the text if someone copies the formatted text from the source text and pastes that in the target text. Suppose, the pen is bold in this sentence: This is my pen. I can't make it bold by using Ctrl B or pressing b in the formatting pane. I have to copy the bold pen from the source and then paste in the target and then overwrite the trans... See more
The extension of the file is .pptx. If Trados Studio does not allow formatting by pressing shortcuts i.e. Ctrl B, Ctrl I, Ctrl U, why does it allow to format the text if someone copies the formatted text from the source text and pastes that in the target text. Suppose, the pen is bold in this sentence: This is my pen. I can't make it bold by using Ctrl B or pressing b in the formatting pane. I have to copy the bold pen from the source and then paste in the target and then overwrite the translation. This is a time consuming process and that is why, I thought it worthwhile to seek the suggestions of knowledgeable professionals.

I look forward to hearing from you and others.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

NeoAtlas wrote:

… Jesús Prieto …

[Edited at 2020-06-27 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
Local time: 19:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shortcuts Jun 27, 2020

So Trados Studio does the formatting, but not in the way you want.
OK, Open the Shortcuts Page under File > Options > Shortcuts and check 2 things:
1.- Sort by the first column (the action) and check if Bold, Italic and Underlinehave each of them a shortcut assigned (CTRL+B, CTRL+I, CTRL+U). If they are empty, you'll need to add the shortcut.
2.- If everything looks fine, then sort by the second column (the shortcut) and verify that the
... See more
OK, Open the Shortcuts Page under File > Options > Shortcuts and check 2 things:
1.- Sort by the first column (the action) and check if Bold, Italic and Underlinehave each of them a shortcut assigned (CTRL+B, CTRL+I, CTRL+U). If they are empty, you'll need to add the shortcut.
2.- If everything looks fine, then sort by the second column (the shortcut) and verify that there are not duplicated shortcuts for CTRL+B, CTRL+I, and CTRL+U. If there is any duplicated, you'll need to remove the duplicated shortcut.
One or other way, I think you should get your shortcuts working. I hope so.
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your detailed reply Jun 27, 2020

I have checked both things. The shortcuts are assigned in the list and they are not duplicated. Can you or someone else figure out the problem.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

NeoAtlas wrote:

2.- If everything looks fine, then sort by the second column (the shortcut) and verify that there are not duplicated shortcuts for CTRL+B, CTRL+I, and CTRL+U. If there is any duplicated, you'll need to remove the duplicated shortcut.
One or other way, I think you should get your shortcuts working. I hope so.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is solved Jun 28, 2020

One of my friends suggested that I should go to View and then to Options and then press the button which toggles display of formatting tags. It has solved the problem. I feel it appropriate to mention it to help others who are facing the same problem.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Kaspars Melkis
Kaspars Melkis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:47
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thanks for your suggestion Jun 28, 2020

I really appreciate it.

I have a similar issue in one of the files but this didn't work for me. No tags are shown despite the settings. Anyway, I normally don't spend much time on this, just let the client know and they can fix it in the final layout. This time I noticed that it works by reinserting the source text.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad that it helped you Jun 28, 2020

There is a saying in Hindi: Knowledge increases by giving.

Kaspars Melkis wrote:

I really appreciate it.

I have a similar issue in one of the files but this didn't work for me. No tags are shown despite the settings. Anyway, I normally don't spend much time on this, just let the client know and they can fix it in the final layout. This time I noticed that it works by reinserting the source text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why it is difficult to format (bold, underline, italics etc) some of the Trados Studio files?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »