Thread poster: Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:05
French to English
+ ...
May 21, 2020

For a long time I have been slightly annoyed with the active spell checker. (I use the MS Word spell check, in case this makes a difference.)

I can be going along fine and then suddenly in one segment the checker marks all of the words as misspelled (with the squiggly red line). The next segment will be fine. I see that this often happens when I copy the source text to the target in order to recover some text I don't want to re-type.

The only way to correct this is to
... See more
For a long time I have been slightly annoyed with the active spell checker. (I use the MS Word spell check, in case this makes a difference.)

I can be going along fine and then suddenly in one segment the checker marks all of the words as misspelled (with the squiggly red line). The next segment will be fine. I see that this often happens when I copy the source text to the target in order to recover some text I don't want to re-type.

The only way to correct this is to close the file and re-open it.

Is there a setting I could change so that the spell checker doesn't lose its mind?

Thanks
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Long shot May 21, 2020

This is a long shot, as I don't use the spell checker in Trados. Anyway, it sounds as if the spell checker considers the target segment to be in the source language, hence it's full of errors.

Not sure whether this will help, but you could try to alter the settings in your normal.dot - there's a setting to chose a fixed language (this should be your target language), and another one to disable automatic language identification.

HTH,
Erik

Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
What works for me May 21, 2020

I don't have an answer to why this happens, but the following procedure works for me:
1. Select all (ctrl+A)
2. Copy (ctrl+C)
3. Copy source to target (ctrl+insert)
4. Select all again
5. Paste (ctrl+V)

I know, this is just a workaround, but it takes less that 3 seconds if you just keep pressing the ctrl touch with one finger. I pretty much got used to it.

Christine Andersen

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:05
English to Russian
Nobody can explain this May 21, 2020

Even SDL themselves. They shift the balme to MS Word "as this produces a very mixed bag of results". Here is the full convo: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/25236/spell-checker-bug

Whatever it was, do not mess with your normal.dot because it has nothing to do with Studio. Studio convert
... See more
Even SDL themselves. They shift the balme to MS Word "as this produces a very mixed bag of results". Here is the full convo: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/25236/spell-checker-bug

Whatever it was, do not mess with your normal.dot because it has nothing to do with Studio. Studio converts all input files into its own format (sdlxliff) and it is expected to recognize languages within the structure of its own specific file format. But it doesn't (which is no big surprise at all).

Me and other users also reported the incorrect behavior shown by the 'Resume' feature (when running spell check with F7). I did not receive any reply.
It's ok, it's SDL.
Collapse

Aline Amorim
Christine Andersen

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not alone May 24, 2020

The solution of deleting everything and then re-pasting (control X and then control V) in the target segment works very well.

Silly that they can't find why this happens.…

But it's good to know I'm not alone

Christine Andersen

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Touch wood, I seem to have had less trouble with it in Studio 2019 May 24, 2020

Ekaterina Kroumova wrote:

I don't have an answer to why this happens, but the following procedure works for me:
1. Select all (ctrl+A)
2. Copy (ctrl+C)
3. Copy source to target (ctrl+insert)
4. Select all again
5. Paste (ctrl+V)

I know, this is just a workaround, but it takes less that 3 seconds if you just keep pressing the ctrl touch with one finger. I pretty much got used to it.

I have used this method a lot. Some texts/files seem to be riddled with the problem, and then it disappears for a while, only to pop up again. I have not noted systematically when, but it could be customer related in my case - I think some PDF source files might be to blame.

Since I updated to Studio 2019, I think I have seen less of it, but I am not sure. I did not update for some time after it was released, but had to have a new computer, and did not entirely stop using the old one, so I installed the new Studio on the new computer. For my purposes there is no practical difference between the two versions of Studio, but now you mention it, maybe this is one.

Or maybe I have just had less work from the clients who send those bundles of PDF source files? I have no idea.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Annoying glitch with spell check

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »