Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 27, 2020

Hello everyone

I need to add tags to text that have tracked changes in them. Trados would not allow me to add tags by selecting the text and using Ctrl+comma, unless I turn tracked changes ON, but then the entire piece of text becomes tracked, which means that the translator can't see which individual words I edited.

So, it would seem that the only way to add tags in such a case is to copy/paste them manually, but that leads to ghost tags. I can't figure out how to re
... See more
Hello everyone

I need to add tags to text that have tracked changes in them. Trados would not allow me to add tags by selecting the text and using Ctrl+comma, unless I turn tracked changes ON, but then the entire piece of text becomes tracked, which means that the translator can't see which individual words I edited.

So, it would seem that the only way to add tags in such a case is to copy/paste them manually, but that leads to ghost tags. I can't figure out how to remove the ghost tags. Selecting tags and using Shift+Alt+G does nothing, and if I right-click the tag (selected or not), the option to restore tags is greyed out.

(The other option, which I do not want to use because it would mean redoing a lot of work, would be to FIRST fix tag errors with tracked changes off, and THEN fix the actual text with tracked changes on.)

Any advice? What can I do about those ghost tags?

ghost tags

Samuel

Added: I have also [re-]discovered that whether Trados will allow me to paste the closing tag in a segment that has tracked changes depends on... well... something. Because sometimes I was able to paste the closing tag, but sometimes Trados would warn me that it is not possible to do so, due to some or other revisions related reason.

So, what I did, is I fixed the tag errors that I could, and told the client that the translator would have to fix the other tag errors when they have accepted/rejected my edits in those segments, because there is no other way (that I know of) to fix those tag errors without accepting/rejecting the tracked edits first. This is not ideal, of course, because now the poor client has to hope the translator knows how to work with tags...

[Edited at 2020-03-27 10:21 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:51
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why do you want to add tags? Mar 28, 2020

I have no advice on you problem, but why on earth do you need to add tags?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Heinrich Mar 28, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I have no advice on you problem, but why on earth do you need to add tags?

This is how CAT tools work, I'm afraid. If there are tags in the source text, they must (except in certain special cases) be present in the target text as well.

Making sure the tags from the source text are in the target text is really the translator's job, but in this particular case the translator didn't know how to work with tags, so the proofreader (me) was asked to take care of the tags.

However, my job as proofreader was also to make edits using tracked changes, and unfortunately, in Trados, with tracked changes enabled, when one places a tag pair "as a pair" (i.e. by selecting the text and then placing the tag pair), Trados marks the entire selection as a tracked change, thus making it impossible for the translator to see exactly which words were edited.

It is *sometimes* possible to place the individual tags of a tag pair individually, but sometimes not. I have not been able to figure out under which circumstances I can or can't do that. But sometimes when I place an individual tag, Trados places the pairing tag as a ghost tag. I was hoping that there must be some way to tell Trados afterwards, "remove all ghost tags".

Oh, wait, perhaps you mean that you think "ghost tags" are tags that are not present in the source text? Hmm, so perhaps what I've been referring to as "ghost tags" are actually called something else?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2019, removing ghost tags

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »