euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 9, 2020

Hi there,

I just updated to Studio 2019 and have been trying to open a bilingual Excel file, so I can work with the columns in the source and target columns in the editor view.
I read some resources on this, but I can't view the file as expected (i.e., column A as "source" and column B as "target).
In the project setting File Type, I unchecked the other Excel files types. Not sure how to move the bilingual file type up, as I read somewhere.

I need to create
... See more
Hi there,

I just updated to Studio 2019 and have been trying to open a bilingual Excel file, so I can work with the columns in the source and target columns in the editor view.
I read some resources on this, but I can't view the file as expected (i.e., column A as "source" and column B as "target).
In the project setting File Type, I unchecked the other Excel files types. Not sure how to move the bilingual file type up, as I read somewhere.

I need to create a TM from this Excel, and thought this was would be the best one.
Any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help,
Eugenia
Collapse

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 16:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Settings first Mar 10, 2020

Hi, there

I guess you wanted to change the situation after you uploaded the file for translation.

I suggest you delete the project and first set the proper settings in File --- Options (uncheck other Excel files, and move up the Bilingual Excel above them - to do this just choose the Bilingual Excel item on the list and choose the button Move up on the right)

Now try to create a new project with such settings. when you are on the Add files panel check if yo
... See more
Hi, there

I guess you wanted to change the situation after you uploaded the file for translation.

I suggest you delete the project and first set the proper settings in File --- Options (uncheck other Excel files, and move up the Bilingual Excel above them - to do this just choose the Bilingual Excel item on the list and choose the button Move up on the right)

Now try to create a new project with such settings. when you are on the Add files panel check if your file got uploaded with Bilingual file martking next to the file name.

I hope it helps
K.
Collapse

euge bellini
euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:42
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can't move up or uncheck there Mar 10, 2020

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.
That is my problem (maybe I am missing something very basic here). If I go to File>Options, I can uncheck and I don't see the button you mention.
I am attaching a screenshot here.

Thanks again!

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 07.20.31

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 16:42
English to Polish
+ ...
Watch the video Mar 10, 2020

Hi again!

Yes, these setting I've written about and moving up and down are available when you highlight FILE TYPES item and not go directly to Bilingual file on the list on the left. The box that you've shown are more specific settings for Bilingual file.

So, the order is : File --- Options --- File type --- now look to the panel on the right, find Bilingual file, highlight it and you will see Move up and Move down buttons activated.

Watch this very short v
... See more
Hi again!

Yes, these setting I've written about and moving up and down are available when you highlight FILE TYPES item and not go directly to Bilingual file on the list on the left. The box that you've shown are more specific settings for Bilingual file.

So, the order is : File --- Options --- File type --- now look to the panel on the right, find Bilingual file, highlight it and you will see Move up and Move down buttons activated.

Watch this very short video also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpXwFYrt9Ko

It should work now

Cheers
Katarzyna
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:42
English to Russian
To avoid this mess every now and then, Mar 11, 2020

just create a new dedicated project for Bilingual Excel files only. Name it 'Bilingual_Excel_Sou-Tar' for example. Uncheck all File Types options except for SDL XLIFF (you can't uncheck it even if you try) and Bilingual Excel. There must be only 2 checkboxes ticked.
Then just add/remove new bilingual Excel files to/from the project.

The path you actually need is File>Options>File types. You screenshot shows that you went to File>Options>File types>Bilingual Excel. That is why
... See more
just create a new dedicated project for Bilingual Excel files only. Name it 'Bilingual_Excel_Sou-Tar' for example. Uncheck all File Types options except for SDL XLIFF (you can't uncheck it even if you try) and Bilingual Excel. There must be only 2 checkboxes ticked.
Then just add/remove new bilingual Excel files to/from the project.

The path you actually need is File>Options>File types. You screenshot shows that you went to File>Options>File types>Bilingual Excel. That is why you cannot see the option in question.

[Edited at 2020-03-11 23:52 GMT]
Collapse

Mussab Mustafa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019 Bilingual Excel file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »