Iseult Harrington
Iseult Harrington  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 26, 2019

Hi everyone,

I want to delete an entire translation (file) from a translation memory as we have made substantial changes to the file and want the new changes to be reflected and the old redundant sentences deleted. I thought I could do this with the alignment feature but when I run the updated file through Trados, the old sentences are still there and the new ones show as 95-99% match; hence, I would have to manually delete the segment and enter the new one, which would take way to
... See more
Hi everyone,

I want to delete an entire translation (file) from a translation memory as we have made substantial changes to the file and want the new changes to be reflected and the old redundant sentences deleted. I thought I could do this with the alignment feature but when I run the updated file through Trados, the old sentences are still there and the new ones show as 95-99% match; hence, I would have to manually delete the segment and enter the new one, which would take way too long (it's a very long document with many changes).

Is there any way of deleting the contents of the old translation from the memory entirely?

Kindest regards! Isa
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:00
English to Russian
Overwrite Dec 26, 2019

If you have your newer file (as edited) in sdlxliff or tmx format, then go to Project Settings => Language Pairs => All Language Pairs => Translation Memories and Automated Translation => highlight your TM and then press Import... => Add Files... => locate the above mentioned sdlxliff or tmx=> Next => Next => check the 'Overwrite existing translation units' radio button => Finish

Note 1: By default, it is 'Add new translation units'. That is why Trados applies a penalty of 1% (for e
... See more
If you have your newer file (as edited) in sdlxliff or tmx format, then go to Project Settings => Language Pairs => All Language Pairs => Translation Memories and Automated Translation => highlight your TM and then press Import... => Add Files... => locate the above mentioned sdlxliff or tmx=> Next => Next => check the 'Overwrite existing translation units' radio button => Finish

Note 1: By default, it is 'Add new translation units'. That is why Trados applies a penalty of 1% (for exactly same translations) or 2% (for same translations with different formatting or tags) to keep both translations as close to 100% match as possible. And that is why you see them as 99% or 98% matches.

Note 2: I am not sure if the 'Update' checkbox for the highlighted TM makes any difference for this Import operation, but check it just to be on the safe side.

[Edited at 2019-12-27 10:15 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way of deleting older versions of a file in Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »