How to translate keyword entries in MadCap Flare files?
Thread poster: Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Local time: 09:30
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2019

Hello everyone!

I have translated a huge software manual project in SDL Trados Studio 2017, consisting of HTML and FLSNP files from MadCap Flare.

However, it turns out that I omitted the keyword entries in the topic HTML files since those seem to be protected by Flare's HTML structure.

When opening the files in EmEditor, it displays something l
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have translated a huge software manual project in SDL Trados Studio 2017, consisting of HTML and FLSNP files from MadCap Flare.

However, it turns out that I omitted the keyword entries in the topic HTML files since those seem to be protected by Flare's HTML structure.

When opening the files in EmEditor, it displays something like this:

The keyword entries are contained within header entries, and while I can translate the header entry ("Schichtprotokoll anzeigen und bearbeiten" in the above example), the keywords remain uneditable.

During my initial translation run, where I was not aware of those keywords, I omitted them altogether and now I am finding myself struggling with importing them so they can be edited and translated. My "success" so far has been to make them visible as tags in Studio's editor but not as translatable content.

I understand that I somehow need to define the "MadCap:keyword" and/or "MadCap:keyword term" element as an editable element in the HTML 5 settings but having tried various options, I am now pretty much at my wit's end.

Thank you in advance for any input on this!
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:30
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Workaround Jun 17, 2019

I preferably use MadCap Lingo in order to prepare Flare projects to be translated with SDL Studio (or with DVX, which is my favorite TEnT). MadCap Lingo is indeed able to correctly identify the files and parts (snippets, etc) which are candidates for translation. I don't know specifically about keywords.

My suggestion: Download the Lingo 30-days free trial and reprocess the Flare files in order to produce xliff files to be translated with Studio. I imagine that you can repopulate mo
... See more
I preferably use MadCap Lingo in order to prepare Flare projects to be translated with SDL Studio (or with DVX, which is my favorite TEnT). MadCap Lingo is indeed able to correctly identify the files and parts (snippets, etc) which are candidates for translation. I don't know specifically about keywords.

My suggestion: Download the Lingo 30-days free trial and reprocess the Flare files in order to produce xliff files to be translated with Studio. I imagine that you can repopulate most of them using your existing TMs.
Collapse

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MadCap Lingo Jun 18, 2019

There is an actual import filter for MadCap XML files in Studio. I only needed to include the *.flsnp file type in its file type definitions since I didn't need to translate any TOCs or index entries.
As for the keywords, they are contained in the topic files (*.html) and are imported according to the HTML 5 file type settings.
They will be found in entries like documented in the screenshot in my original posting, which means that they are nested within header formatting tags. It is
... See more
There is an actual import filter for MadCap XML files in Studio. I only needed to include the *.flsnp file type in its file type definitions since I didn't need to translate any TOCs or index entries.
As for the keywords, they are contained in the topic files (*.html) and are imported according to the HTML 5 file type settings.
They will be found in entries like documented in the screenshot in my original posting, which means that they are nested within header formatting tags. It is this nested structure that prevents me from importing them as editable contents.
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 03:30
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Why I use MadCap Lingo instead of the pertinent Studio file type Jun 19, 2019

Alex Lichanow wrote:

There is an actual import filter for MadCap XML files in Studio.

I am well conscious about the existence of that file type definition from Studio 2015 on. I tried to use it in the past for translating Flare projects, but I had to manually choose which files to translate (out of more than 300 hundred in my case!!) and needed tweaking a lot the embedded processors. That is why I resorted to use MadCap Lingo for automatically choosing the files and preparing them in order to translate using Studio (or DVX). I could translate in MadCap Lingo itself, but it offers a very deficient editor.

They will be found in entries like documented in the screenshot in my original posting, which means that they are nested within header formatting tags. It is this nested structure that prevents me from importing them as editable contents.

I am quite interested in your problem and the way it can be solved it. I know that I may be a silly question, but ¿were you able to convert the nested elements to Studio inline tags? If so, ¿could you convert them to translatable using the MadCap parser settings?

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tags and parser settings Jun 19, 2019

Jorge Payan wrote:

I am quite interested in your problem and the way it can be solved it. I know that I may be a silly question, but ¿were you able to convert the nested elements to Studio inline tags? If so, ¿could you convert them to translatable using the MadCap parser settings?

Yes, I have managed to import the nested elements as tags, but unfortunately, this is not what I want to achieve since Trados doesn't offer any possibility to edit tags.
Another problem here is that the MadCap parser settings are irrelevant in this specific case because the keywords are not found in the Flare-specific files but in the topic files, which are "regular" HTML 5, but with proprietary MadCap markups.
Therefore, what I need to edit correctly at some stage is the parser settings for HTML 5.
And this is exactly what is slowly driving me crazy: I can define settings for h1 elements (which are translatable to begin with) and I can define settings for MadCap elements (which are not part of the default parser settings but must be created specifically). But I just cannot seem to find any solution to make MadCap elements NESTED WITHIN H1 ELEMENTS translatable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate keyword entries in MadCap Flare files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »