SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement
Thread poster: SDL_Dan
Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Local time: 16:33
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
Trados 2019 - not recommended Aug 14, 2018

I bought the 2019 recently out of a need of replacing the 2011 version that I had used for the last 6 years and actually found very stable, reliable and FAST. Reasons for upgrade? MS Office 2016 compatibility, DeepL, hi-res support.

Sorry to say that, but I am really disappointed. Yes, the interface is somewhat more appealing to the eye, projects save in a blink of an eye, BUT:

- Both MS Word and HTML preview optiosn are bugged to the core. Word preview sometimes will
... See more
I bought the 2019 recently out of a need of replacing the 2011 version that I had used for the last 6 years and actually found very stable, reliable and FAST. Reasons for upgrade? MS Office 2016 compatibility, DeepL, hi-res support.

Sorry to say that, but I am really disappointed. Yes, the interface is somewhat more appealing to the eye, projects save in a blink of an eye, BUT:

- Both MS Word and HTML preview optiosn are bugged to the core. Word preview sometimes will work, and sometimes won't, while in HTML preview the blinking cursor disappears, making the function unusuable.
- I STILL can't close the TM window - along with all the upper windows obstructing the translated text view - for good, after so many years!!! It just pops back, regardless of the option you choose. WHY SDL, WHY?!
- can't do touch screen scrolling on the translated text body anymore. This is such an annoyance if working on MS Surface in the field - which I don't do anymore these days. Otherwise I'd probably not even upgrade. To be fair, though, the competition doesn't offer this functionality either.
- Trados 2019 SLOWS DOWN very often, and I noticed this being dependent on the font size setting. The text input and scroll fluency are pretty much excellent when the font adaptation setting is disabled, and get worse after increasing font size - but not always. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it isn't. Talk about reliability and predictability.
- Trados actually corrupted an exported docx today which it previously had no problem with. Copying source to target for all segments did not change anything, which is clearly indicative of yet another bug. Had to pre-translate a fresh .sdxliff and it was okay then. But nobody will give me my nerves and time back.

It's a bit dismaying seeing how Trados isn't improving that much over the years, and actually getting worse in the key aspects of it.

On the other hand, MemoQ is slow-ish and has reliability issues too, DejaVu has some silly shortcomings and a blinking screen issue, CafeTran looks like a kid's IT project on my hi-res screen… Gosh, what a nightmare. I can't imagine translating without a CAT anymore, and yet I'm growing to hate them all indeed.

One thing is certain though: Trados 2019 is certainly not worth the upgrade. Unless you REALLY like the fancy Tell Me Something bar. But when I tried to use it for something one day (looking for a specific shortcut, or something), it didn't provide any meaningful results - obviously. After a bit of playing around with it you realize it's really underdeveloped.

And yeah, there's the new project creation view which is pretty handy. But still not worth the upgrade.

I also was a bit puzzled when the installer actually told me to choose five languages. Like… why?

----

[Edited at 2018-08-14 18:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-14 18:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-14 18:39 GMT]
Collapse

Tomasz Palkowski
Wilhelm Weigert

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:33
English to Russian
I use Trados badges & other graphical elements for my CV and some social network credentials Aug 16, 2018

to make them more vivid for my potential employers.

This is how the 2017 badge looks like:

This is the 2019 badge:

How can I prove to my clients that I use the brand new 2019 version but not the outdated 2017?
What question should I ex
... See more
to make them more vivid for my potential employers.

This is how the 2017 badge looks like:

This is the 2019 badge:

How can I prove to my clients that I use the brand new 2019 version but not the outdated 2017?
What question should I expect from them? "Are you [me] an idiot?" — "Yes I am" would be my best answer.

Well... I'm not a native English speaker. Maybe I miss something? Maybe one is in William Shakespear's English and the other is in Dropkick Murphys' English? Not sure. Can anybody help me identify the difference?

Nothing is what you do best.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
There must be something wrong Aug 16, 2018

Ekhangel wrote:

CafeTran looks like a kid's IT project on my hi-res screen…

There must be something wrong with your display settings. CafeTran Espresso 2018 looks very professional on my hi-res iMac. Or is it 'just' a matter of icons that you don't like?

In fact, this very good GUI, with big, easy to read fonts in all dialogue boxes and other important GUI elements, is one of the major reasons to use CafeTran Espresso 2018 for me. CafeTran offers many predefined themes (like eye-friendly themes, for working in the evening) and can be customised highly (way more than Studio or memoQ).

So I'm a little puzzled by your remark. Care to elaborate? Perhaps here: https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support-1154.html ?

Some examples of the GUI:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/325465-cafetran_just_got_a_little_more_mainstream_editing_directly_in_the_translation_grid.html

dadrebwphdbkojhfeygj

[Edited at 2018-08-17 07:25 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
SDL can't make Trados faster because it would mean redesigning from scratch Aug 17, 2018

This week's project: 50 files, 5000 segments, 50 000 words
* opening all files took 30 seconds
* selecting all segments took 11 minutes
* copying source=target for all selected segments took 7 minutes

Luca Tutino
Tomasz Palkowski
Wilhelm Weigert

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Basic actions do take a lot of time Aug 17, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nearly 19 minutes of unproductive time, that's a lot. I'm sure that the QA will also take a long time.

Perhaps this time is acceptable if you can charge all 50,000 words, but what if you only have to translate 234 new words?

Luca Tutino
Wilhelm Weigert

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
workaround for copying source to target for all segments via pre-translate Aug 17, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Yeah, selecting all segments and doing anything to them is s...u...p...e...r slow in Studio. A possible workaround for copying source to target for all segments is to run pre-translate, and select ‘Copy source to target’:

Batch processing > Pre-translate files …

When no match is found:
( ) Leave target segment empty
(×) Copy source to target
( ) Apply automated translation

Wilhelm Weigert

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
CafeTran / Studio slowness Sep 12, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

Ekhangel wrote:

CafeTran looks like a kid's IT project on my hi-res screen…

There must be something wrong with your display settings. CafeTran Espresso 2018 looks very professional on my hi-res iMac. Or is it 'just' a matter of icons that you don't like?

Hans, thanks for the feedback. I did install it on one occasion and the scaling was messed up (miniscule icons, and pretty much everything else). This was Windows (Surface Pro), and you're on a Mac, so it might be different. I don't know.

As for Trados's slowness, I am now experiencing a somewhat ridiculous issue:

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/p/19573/67283#67283

...but as for the general processing slowness of the software - it is true that on some occasions it is not exactly performing to the hardware's limit. But I guess this is a general problem with IT these days: there's kick-assed hardware and the software is just underoptimized, because the producers/programmers are lazy and would rather release another iteration of their product in 2 years time with some insignificant/strictly visual changes for $$$ sake rather than implement actual improvements.

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 12:33
English to French
+ ...
problems with 2019 upgrade and bugs Sep 24, 2018

I was a Trados 2017 Freelance Plus user. I updated it to version 2017 CU12, then disabled it. I upgraded my 2017 license to 2019 in my SDL Account.
I then tried to reactivate Trados 2017 CU12 with a 2019 license. Without success.
I get an error message indicating that the activation code does not match the version of Trados installed.
I finally had to delete Trados 2017 (system backup image applied) and install a fresh new Trados 2019 with the new license.
And I'm disap
... See more
I was a Trados 2017 Freelance Plus user. I updated it to version 2017 CU12, then disabled it. I upgraded my 2017 license to 2019 in my SDL Account.
I then tried to reactivate Trados 2017 CU12 with a 2019 license. Without success.
I get an error message indicating that the activation code does not match the version of Trados installed.
I finally had to delete Trados 2017 (system backup image applied) and install a fresh new Trados 2019 with the new license.
And I'm disappointed. Bug when creating a project (1), bug when adapting fonts and with default font (2) (my eyesight is bad)...
And i can't revert back
(1) I'm not the only one, same issue here https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/19445
(2) I'm not the only one, same issue here https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/90/t/19327
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
You cannot use a 2019 license for a 2017 version - they have different license numbers Sep 25, 2018

Patrick ARBAUT wrote:

For 2017 you should have used the license number listed for your 2017 version on SDL, not 2019. But I think the way it works is that if you were using an active 2017 version you would have been allowed to use it still, even after you install 2019. But after you have installed and activated 2019 you can't go back.

But is it a problem that you cannot have both 2017 and 2019 running at the same time? It seems to me that things work very nicely for me with just 2019 (although on my main PC I can use both).

I can see one problem with using both - when I double click a Studio package I run the risk that it is opened in 2017 rather than 2019, something I don't want.

Roy

Patrick Arbaut
Patrick Arbaut
Argentina
Local time: 12:33
English to French
+ ...
maybe I'm wrong... Sep 25, 2018

Hello Roy, I understood that the CU12 update allowed both software to be used with the same new license.

2017 was working like a charm (for me)

[Edited at 2018-09-25 14:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-09-25 14:57 GMT]

Tomasz Palkowski
Tomasz Palkowski
Polish to English
+ ...
Multiterm seriously underdeveloped (still) Mar 8, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote: SDL can't make Trados faster because it would mean redesigning from scratch

I'm in full agreement with Samuel. If Trados 2017 is not so bad, the Multiterm is still a disaster...

First I used Studio 2015 along with its Multiterm. I was sort of disappointed, not to mention countless issues I had with Windows system files which somehow wouldn't play along with Multiterm.

Then came Multiterm with Trados 2017. I bought the package and ... s
... See more
Samuel Murray wrote: SDL can't make Trados faster because it would mean redesigning from scratch

I'm in full agreement with Samuel. If Trados 2017 is not so bad, the Multiterm is still a disaster...

First I used Studio 2015 along with its Multiterm. I was sort of disappointed, not to mention countless issues I had with Windows system files which somehow wouldn't play along with Multiterm.

Then came Multiterm with Trados 2017. I bought the package and ... still disappointment. The SDL team doesn't seem to be keeping abreast of IT changes and growing demands of translators. If I were to compare Multiterm to Windows, I'd say it's more like Win 3.1 (from the 1990s) than a real, flexible windows-based system.

Why can't I open different termbases simultaneously ( I mean literally at the same time) to see them all on my two computer screens?
Why can't I freel drag and drop terms among the termbases?

The original German concept of the software hasn't been taken much further by the SDL team, unfortunately. And the package doesn't come cheap, especially to me, living and working in Poland.

I will hold on to my Trados 2017 as long as I can until they finally manage to redesign this petrified software!
Collapse

Wilhelm Weigert

Georgios Tziakos
Georgios Tziakos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
Super slow/buggy installation on a fresh AMD machine Nov 23, 2019

AMD Ryzen 3700x here with 16 super fast 3600 DRR4 memory and M.2 SSD drive. I built the PC yesterday. Everything's fresh and working perfectly. Except, you guessed it, Studio 2019.

I just installed Studio 2019, took me 30 minutes to get through the installation alone and the same problems continue on the program itself. The cursor keeps loading and delaying everything. Delays of 5-10 seconds for each click/button/letter typed. On Task Manager, it doesn't even use up 10-15% of CPU po
... See more
AMD Ryzen 3700x here with 16 super fast 3600 DRR4 memory and M.2 SSD drive. I built the PC yesterday. Everything's fresh and working perfectly. Except, you guessed it, Studio 2019.

I just installed Studio 2019, took me 30 minutes to get through the installation alone and the same problems continue on the program itself. The cursor keeps loading and delaying everything. Delays of 5-10 seconds for each click/button/letter typed. On Task Manager, it doesn't even use up 10-15% of CPU power or Memory. The software is just slow and sluggish on its own and won't take advantage of available resources. How the heck can you create more complicated software when you won't let it use our powerful machinery, SDL? I bought this machine specifically to take advantage of my super fast typing rate (130 WPM sustained, 170 on a boost, 100 basically error-free for texts I am familiar with)

This is absolutely atrocious and unacceptable. I will be demanding a refund.

[Edited at 2019-11-23 16:00 GMT]

(In the time it takes to open up the software, I have *installed* and opened MemoQ 9)

[Edited at 2019-11-23 16:01 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:33
English to Russian
True Nov 23, 2019

Georgios Tziakos wrote:
(In the time it takes to open up the software, I have *installed* and opened MemoQ 9)

Once I ran a batch task to analyze my translatable file with Studio 2019. A few moments later, I thought it would be a good idea to compare the word count between these two CAT tools. Then I launched memoQ, imported the same file and ran the Statistics process there. When the statistics became available in memoQ, Studio was still counting. LOL

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2019 announcement

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »