Package cannot be opened. It contains languages that are not configured for this installation.
Thread poster: Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Salvador Scofano and Gry Midttun
Norway
Local time: 18:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 29, 2015

I am receiving the following message when I try to open a project in Studio 2011:

"The package XXXXX cannot be opened as it contains languages that are not configured for this installation"

In a previous post it was mentioned that the solution would be to reinstall the whole program. Since this is very time-consuming and probably involves re-licensing, can anybody please tell me if there is another solution for this?

Alex Khanin
Alex Khanin  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
Check the target language Dec 29, 2015

If this happens while opening one of the project files, check the target language and, if necessary, change it to the language you are goint to translate into.

Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More information Dec 29, 2015

Hi Alex,

The problem is that one of the languages that is going to be used for the translation was not inserted in the installation process.
For instance, German language support was not installed. I have not found a setting for adding support for a language that was not chosen in the installation process.
Do I have to re-install the whole program to add the support for this additional language?

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Arabic
Package cannot be opened. Dec 29, 2015

Hi All,

Freelance license versions are limited to FIVE languages only.

If you have taken on a project with in this instance a 6th language- you will not be able to work with this package.
The ONLY solution is to deactivate and de-install your software and then reinstall including the five languages you need.

Do you really translate more than five languages? or was this simply an error (forgot to include) the specific languages during initial install?<
... See more
Hi All,

Freelance license versions are limited to FIVE languages only.

If you have taken on a project with in this instance a 6th language- you will not be able to work with this package.
The ONLY solution is to deactivate and de-install your software and then reinstall including the five languages you need.

Do you really translate more than five languages? or was this simply an error (forgot to include) the specific languages during initial install?

Kr

Steve
Collapse

Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

Hi Steve and all,

Thanks. I have chosen 4 languages in the installation process.

If I need a 5th language, what should I do?

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Arabic

you must add FIVE languages at installation- you cannot add or remove languages after the installation is complete without a full re-install.

Kr

SDL_Steve

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Two solutions Dec 29, 2015

There are two solutions:

1. Ask your project manager to prepare a package for your languages only.

2. Instead of reinstalling, simply repair Studio by going to Windows Control Panel and clicking Repair.
Next time you open Studio, you'll be asked to set your 5 languages again.
Don't forget that you can choose 5 general languages, and all variants will be included (e.g., US and UK variants for English).

Norway
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good news, Emma Dec 29, 2015

Hi Emma,

Good news. By doing a repair install, I will probably save a lot of work.

Thanks!

Aino Lehtonen
Aino Lehtonen
Finland
Local time: 19:06
French to Finnish
+ ...
Repair did not help Apr 2, 2020

Hi, I have the same problem, about 5 years later. I understand I cannot choose more than 5 languages, no problem there. I tried the Repair, a function I was not aware of, and everything went smoothly. But when I opened SDL again, it did not prompt me to choose my 5 languages again.

Has this worked for everyone else? What might I have done wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Aino

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You can still get your files Apr 2, 2020

Rename the package file from [filename].sdlppx to [filename].zip, and you will be able to open the package like a common ZIP file/
You will be able to see what is inside and probably use the files for your language pair or otherwise ask the PM to re-send you the package.

Marc Vansteenberge

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Package cannot be opened. It contains languages that are not configured for this installation.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »