How do I re-import an updated source file into Studio?
Thread poster: Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:25
Member (2003)
English to German
Nov 7, 2015

Dear all,

Perhaps, I'm searching with the wrong operators, but I can't find any solution, here.

The situation:

- An SDL Studio 2014 project with about 50 imported html files.
- 10 updated htmls from the customer copied into the orgininal source folder, overwriting the old files.

The question:

How do I make Studio re-import these htmls and thus update the corresponding sdlxliff files? Is there an "update" oder "refresh" funct
... See more
Dear all,

Perhaps, I'm searching with the wrong operators, but I can't find any solution, here.

The situation:

- An SDL Studio 2014 project with about 50 imported html files.
- 10 updated htmls from the customer copied into the orgininal source folder, overwriting the old files.

The question:

How do I make Studio re-import these htmls and thus update the corresponding sdlxliff files? Is there an "update" oder "refresh" function? In the end, I resorted to creating an entirely new project. There must be a more efficient way, to solve this. Or not?

TIA!
Lutz
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You need to "prepare" the new files Nov 7, 2015

Lutz

One you have added the new/modified source files in the source language folder in the "Files" view, select these added files, right-click and select "Prepare without project TM".
This will convert these files to SDLXLIFF. Once you have done this, do not forget to switch back to the target folder in the left pane before you click on the files to open them.

Walter

P.S.: Don't add the new files by copying them into the source folder using Windows Ex
... See more
Lutz

One you have added the new/modified source files in the source language folder in the "Files" view, select these added files, right-click and select "Prepare without project TM".
This will convert these files to SDLXLIFF. Once you have done this, do not forget to switch back to the target folder in the left pane before you click on the files to open them.

Walter

P.S.: Don't add the new files by copying them into the source folder using Windows Explorer, but go to the view "Files", switch to the source folder, right-click and select "Add file". If you replace a file with the same name, delete the existing one first (right-click, Remove file).

[Bearbeitet am 2015-11-07 13:55 GMT]
Collapse

Lutz Plueckhahn
Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Any "Update" function? Nov 9, 2015

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your hints. No problems with new files. But what about updated ones?

- I replace a source file - in the Windows folder! - with an updated version, same file name.
- In Studio (Source or Target Language pane), I cannot add this new file. Studio tells me, it's already there.
- Hence, I cannot "Prepare without project TM". The only available batch task is "Copy to Target Languages", which has no visible effect on the sdlxliff.
... See more
Hi Walter,

Thanks for your hints. No problems with new files. But what about updated ones?

- I replace a source file - in the Windows folder! - with an updated version, same file name.
- In Studio (Source or Target Language pane), I cannot add this new file. Studio tells me, it's already there.
- Hence, I cannot "Prepare without project TM". The only available batch task is "Copy to Target Languages", which has no visible effect on the sdlxliff.

Obviously, I have to first delete the file from the Studio File View (ignoring the warning that the file will be permanently deleted, as this only refers to the sdlxliff file and not to the source file), then again add the file and proceed as you suggested.

Of course, in the case of several updated files, this could become quite tedious. In a progam of this high reputation - and price - I expected some more intelligent Update function. Or am I missing a point, here?

Lutz
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Update feature Nov 9, 2015

Hi Lutz,

There is no update feature, so, as you rightly point out, you must first delete the existing files from the project (from the Source language view, so all relevant files are removed) before adding them back and preparing them for transaltion. If it's several files you need to replace, you can select them all at once, remove them and then add them again. I've never found this to be an inconvenience, although you're right that an automated sequence to update the source files
... See more
Hi Lutz,

There is no update feature, so, as you rightly point out, you must first delete the existing files from the project (from the Source language view, so all relevant files are removed) before adding them back and preparing them for transaltion. If it's several files you need to replace, you can select them all at once, remove them and then add them again. I've never found this to be an inconvenience, although you're right that an automated sequence to update the source files would make things easier.
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 03:25
English to Russian
+ ...
a very useful feature missing in Studio Jul 4, 2020

Lutz would be able to easily update source files (without having to delete anything in the project) in Memoq (reimport files), but this feature is not available in SDL Trados Studio (at least in versions 2007 through 2019, no idea about the latest 2021 version). It would be great to be able to update source files as there are often updates from legal clients, for example. If you have to reimport files often, it is a huge inconvenience in Studio and just a few clicks without deleting anything in ... See more
Lutz would be able to easily update source files (without having to delete anything in the project) in Memoq (reimport files), but this feature is not available in SDL Trados Studio (at least in versions 2007 through 2019, no idea about the latest 2021 version). It would be great to be able to update source files as there are often updates from legal clients, for example. If you have to reimport files often, it is a huge inconvenience in Studio and just a few clicks without deleting anything in Memoq.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I re-import an updated source file into Studio?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »