Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Converting Xliff files to Excel documents (.xls)
Thread poster: Yiin
Yiin
Yiin  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:28
Aug 12, 2015

Hi guys,

I am using SDL Trados 2014. I want to convert Xliff files (with both the source and the target) to Excel documents (.xls). Is there any APP available for that or if the function is already provided by the SDL Trados 2014? I know there is an APP called SDL Xliff Converter, but that is for Trados 2009 and is no longer available. Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Yehmin

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 20:28
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office? Aug 12, 2015

I have Studio 2015, and there is an SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office in the package. I haven't tried it myself, so I guess that's what you are looking for. I would have thought it also is included with Studio 2014.

And by the way, if that doesn't quite work the way you want, you could export the file for Bilingual Review: Rightclick on the file in the Files view, > Batch tasks > Export for Bilingual Review

Then you get a Word table with the contents of the file,
... See more
I have Studio 2015, and there is an SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office in the package. I haven't tried it myself, so I guess that's what you are looking for. I would have thought it also is included with Studio 2014.

And by the way, if that doesn't quite work the way you want, you could export the file for Bilingual Review: Rightclick on the file in the Files view, > Batch tasks > Export for Bilingual Review

Then you get a Word table with the contents of the file, which you could easily copy over to an Excel file.

Roy
Collapse

TargamaT team
Yaotl Altan

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Select 'excel file' setting Aug 12, 2015

Roy Oestensen wrote:

I have Studio 2015, and there is an SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office in the package.

Roy

Exactly. It has been part of the core product since Studio 2011. (That's why the Open Exchange app is only for Studio 2009.)

Yehmin, to export the sdlxliff as an Excel file, simply go to welcome, click on the app, go to settings and select 'excel file'.

Yiin
Yiin  Identity Verified
Taiwan
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you guys so much!! Aug 12, 2015

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help.

Yehmin

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:28
English to Thai
+ ...
The classic way Aug 12, 2015

Yiin wrote:
I am using SDL Trados 2014. I want to convert Xliff files (with both the source and the target) to Excel documents (.xls). Is there any APP available for that or if the function is already provided by the SDL Trados 2014? I know there is an APP called SDL Xliff Converter, but that is for Trados 2009 and is no longer available. Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

I normally use the classic method: manual Excel table creating method in the following steps.
1. Open a blank MS Word document
2. Copy source texts of Sdlxliff to Word
3. In Word, convert entire texts into table.
4. In Word, add another column on the right of table.
5. Copy target texts of Sdlxliff to Word table by pasting all table cells.
6. Save Word as Excel table.
Voila!!!

Soonthon L.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
6 steps vs. 1 Aug 12, 2015

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

I normally use the classic method: manual Excel table creating method in the following steps.

I'm surprised that you recommend a 6-step method, Soonthon, when there's a built-in app that does it in 1.

Yiin
Yiin  Identity Verified
Taiwan
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all very very much! Aug 12, 2015

Hi everyone,

You are very very helpful. I have used SDL Trados 2014 for more than a year, but it is only until today that I learn about the APP from the "Welcome" (WOW). That's why no more converter app is needed. Thank you all again and again.

Sincerely,
Yehmin

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Can anyone tell me how to do it in SDL Trados 2019? Jul 23, 2020

I have the same problem. I need to convert the xliff file to excel but in SDL Trados 2019. Can anyone help, please?
Thank you

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Is this possible in Studio 2019? Jul 23, 2020

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
I'm surprised that you recommend a 6-step method, Soonthon, when there's a built-in app that does it in 1.

When I look into Studio 2019 I don't find this built in app, so I would be interested in how to go about this.

What I would do, though, is export the project for bilingual view:
- Mark and right click the files in the Files view
- Choose Batch task -> Export for Bilingual Review
- Say Yes when Studio asks you to open the containing folder.
- Open the Bilingual Review in Word
- Copy the Bilingual Review table in Word and paste it into Excel.

And then you should be done. It looks like 5 steps, but it is quite straightforward.

I hope that will help, Lenah.

Lenah Susianty
Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thank you, 2019 makes it more complicated Jul 23, 2020

Thank you Roy. I didn't realise that it is now more complicated. So there is no one-click solution!
Good to know this.

Roy Oestensen wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

When I look into Studio 2019 I don't find this built in app, so I would be interested in how to go about this.

What I would do, though, is export the project for bilingual view:
- Mark and right click the files in the Files view
- Choose Batch task -> Export for Bilingual Review
- Say Yes when Studio asks you to open the containing folder.
- Open the Bilingual Review in Word
- Copy the Bilingual Review table in Word and paste it into Excel.

And then you should be done. It looks like 5 steps, but it is quite straightforward.

I hope that will help, Lenah.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
2019 Jul 23, 2020

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
[The SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office] has been part of the core product since Studio 2011. To export the SDLXLIFF file as an Excel file, simply go to Welcome, click on the app, go to settings and select "Excel file".

With 2019, I can go to Welcome, but there is no app there.

There is an option to open the app store in the browser, and if I log in, I can download the converter, and install it by unzipping it and then double-clicking the MSI file (while Trados is NOT running!), which makes the app available on the Welcome screen the next time you run Trados.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Seems the new SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office converts to Word, not to Excel Jul 24, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Emma Goldsmith wrote:
[The SDL XLIFF Converter for Microsoft Office] has been part of the core product since Studio 2011. To export the SDLXLIFF file as an Excel file, simply go to Welcome, click on the app, go to settings and select "Excel file".

With 2019, I can go to Welcome, but there is no app there.

There is an option to open the app store in the browser, and if I log in, I can download the converter, and install it by unzipping it and then double-clicking the MSI file (while Trados is NOT running!), which makes the app available on the Welcome screen the next time you run Trados.

I downloaded the app (thanks for the tip), but when I try it out, it indicates that it will convert the sdlxliff file to Word, not Excel. Is that right?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Roy Jul 24, 2020

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I downloaded the app (thanks for the tip), but when I try it out, it indicates that it will convert the sdlxliff file to Word, not Excel. Is that right?

If you go to the settings and select Excel, the title of the tab that referred to Word changes and refers to Excel.

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Makes sense Jul 24, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Roy Oestensen wrote:

If you go to the settings and select Excel, the title of the tab that referred to Word changes and refers to Excel.

Thanks! I didn't notice that.

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
XLIFF Manager Dec 14, 2022

I came through this subject as I was looking to export SDLXLIFF to XLIFF and I found the tool XLIFF Manager that can do the job.

However, in my case, to my surprise, the client said he can not open the exported XLIFF!

Finally, I exported SDLXLIFF to Excel as mentioned by Roy.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting Xliff files to Excel documents (.xls)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »