Thread poster: Marcel Hlbočan
Marcel Hlbočan
Marcel Hlbočan
Slovakia
Local time: 16:00
Slovak to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2012

Using Studio 2009 SP3 I get the following error message: "Input string was not in a correct format" when opening an xls file. The file seems fairly simple, no formulas, no links or references, just 12 sheets of written text in formatted cells. I tried replacing some suspicious characters like the ½ symbol with 1/2, saving the file in xlxs format and copying all worksheets to a new file - still getting the same error. Does anyone have an idea what is preventing Trados from opening this file?... See more
Using Studio 2009 SP3 I get the following error message: "Input string was not in a correct format" when opening an xls file. The file seems fairly simple, no formulas, no links or references, just 12 sheets of written text in formatted cells. I tried replacing some suspicious characters like the ½ symbol with 1/2, saving the file in xlxs format and copying all worksheets to a new file - still getting the same error. Does anyone have an idea what is preventing Trados from opening this file?

Any solutions appreciated!!

Regards,
Marcel
Collapse

Marcel Hlbočan
Marcel Hlbočan
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Once again... Aug 30, 2012

Really no one with the same issue?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Not seen it... Aug 30, 2012

... but if you can share the file I'll happily take a look?

Regards

Paul
[email protected]

Sasa Kalcik
Sasa Kalcik  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2010)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Any solution? Feb 2, 2014

If you came up with a solution it would be great to know what it was?

I have same situation here right now. Only I use Trados Studio 2011.

Many thanks!

Sasa

[Edited at 2014-02-02 11:33 GMT]

Marcel Hlbočan
Marcel Hlbočan
Slovakia
Slovak to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Use TagEditor Feb 2, 2014

I did not resolve the issue in Studio, but found a workaround - use TagEditor to convert the file to a bilingual ttx file and then translate it in Studio. Finally, save the target Excel file using TagEditor once again. This helped most of the time, sometimes it worked with xls, sometimes I had to convert to xlsx in Excel first and then to ttx in TagEditor.
If all fails write to Trados support they will try to convert the file for you.
Or get Studio 2014 - for me this version opened
... See more
I did not resolve the issue in Studio, but found a workaround - use TagEditor to convert the file to a bilingual ttx file and then translate it in Studio. Finally, save the target Excel file using TagEditor once again. This helped most of the time, sometimes it worked with xls, sometimes I had to convert to xlsx in Excel first and then to ttx in TagEditor.
If all fails write to Trados support they will try to convert the file for you.
Or get Studio 2014 - for me this version opened everything so far. I am just a bit worried that once the new MS Office comes out, more issues will crop up - as usual.

Hope this helps.
Marcel
Collapse

Jens Lindén
Jens Lindén  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:00
Member (2013)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Same problem here Feb 13, 2014

I have the same problem with Studio 2009, sp 3, so it's obviously not an isolated case.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:00
English to Russian
Same here Nov 30, 2020

Is there any news on this issue? Studio 2021 behaves the same way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: "Input string was not in a correct format" when opening xls file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »