Trados complains (but continues to function)
Thread poster: Kristina M (X)
Kristina M (X)
Kristina M (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:05
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2002

Has anybody run into the following problem before? It is fairly minor, but annoying.

Every time I do a Set/Close Next Open/Get, Trados makes a complaining sound (but it seems to continue to function correctly). The error message in the Workbench window is as follows:

Couldn\'t initiate DDE link to MultiTerm. Probably not running.

OK, MultiTerm is indeed not running, but it has never run before, either, and I did not get this error pr
... See more
Has anybody run into the following problem before? It is fairly minor, but annoying.

Every time I do a Set/Close Next Open/Get, Trados makes a complaining sound (but it seems to continue to function correctly). The error message in the Workbench window is as follows:

Couldn\'t initiate DDE link to MultiTerm. Probably not running.

OK, MultiTerm is indeed not running, but it has never run before, either, and I did not get this error previously. I opened MultiTerm just to see what would happen (I don\'t even know how to use it at this point). Trados still complains, but this time with the following error message:

DDE timeout while communicating with MultiTerm.

Any ideas (short of turning off the speakers)?

TIA,

Kristina

Collapse

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:05
German to English
No database? Feb 6, 2002

I\'ve never come across this myself with MT running, but if you never use it, then I assume you have no database. This could be the reason for the time-out error. But I\'ve always had the DDE error if I have forgotten to open MT.

Kristina M (X)
Kristina M (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Options > Term Recognition needs to be unchecked Feb 6, 2002

Found the answer in another forum. Problem solved.

Kristina

Oscar Villafuerte
Oscar Villafuerte
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
Unmark Term recognition Feb 6, 2002

It\'s a simple trick: unmark \"Term recognition\" in Options menu. I had the same problem some time ago and it was hard to find the fix...

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
SDL free sample Feb 7, 2002

Try this during 20 days for free.
[addsig]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Forget Trados - it's one major headache Feb 8, 2002

Use SDLX or Déjà Vu - both are much, much, much better!

I have had tons of problems with Trados (so much so that I uninstalled it several months ago; it also kept interfering with other applications and features).

SDLX and DV have never caused any problems.

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
German to English
+ ...
SDLX - Yes Feb 8, 2002

I have not tried Dejavue yet, but SDLX is very handy. The flexible software license is great - no dongle, which makes transfer from my office to my home-office a snap, without danger of loosing that precious piece of hardware.

No complaints about handling and Trados compatibility. Customer service and help desk have very short turn-around time. They REALLY help.

So for me no question: Considering price and performance, SDLX (or Dejavue) is the way to go
... See more
I have not tried Dejavue yet, but SDLX is very handy. The flexible software license is great - no dongle, which makes transfer from my office to my home-office a snap, without danger of loosing that precious piece of hardware.

No complaints about handling and Trados compatibility. Customer service and help desk have very short turn-around time. They REALLY help.

So for me no question: Considering price and performance, SDLX (or Dejavue) is the way to go for the freelancer.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-02-08 03:26 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Trados vs. others Feb 8, 2002

Since the thread has turned from a simple technical question into a comparison of various CAT tools *g*, here\'s my experience.

I use Trados 5 (Team and Freelance) on a number of machines (Win2k / WinNT 4.0 SP5), without any problems whatsoever. The only two interferences I have ever spotted are the somewhat strange behaviour of the address label function in Word (you can\'t delete anything, but you can overwrite - IMHO nothing major) and some interference with MS Outlook 98 (looking a
... See more
Since the thread has turned from a simple technical question into a comparison of various CAT tools *g*, here\'s my experience.

I use Trados 5 (Team and Freelance) on a number of machines (Win2k / WinNT 4.0 SP5), without any problems whatsoever. The only two interferences I have ever spotted are the somewhat strange behaviour of the address label function in Word (you can\'t delete anything, but you can overwrite - IMHO nothing major) and some interference with MS Outlook 98 (looking at the respective resource usage, this appears to be a problem caused by \'resource-eating\' Outlook, and has been solved by more RAM...).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados complains (but continues to function)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »