Thread poster: Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Brazil
Local time: 12:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 25, 2021

First of all, I am publishing this in the wrong forum but the correct one wasn't working.

Last week I was contacted by this company called Reedz for the role of proofreader. They did not provide the website, nor the address, only the contact. They asked me to do the proof and then they sent a subscription form.

The payment would work in a form of "Share per revenue".

I don't know if it is part of a scam.

Should I continue the application?
... See more
First of all, I am publishing this in the wrong forum but the correct one wasn't working.

Last week I was contacted by this company called Reedz for the role of proofreader. They did not provide the website, nor the address, only the contact. They asked me to do the proof and then they sent a subscription form.

I don't know if it is part of a scam.

Thank you!
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:04
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Absolutely NO! Jan 25, 2021

Eduardo Davi Geraldo wrote:

1) Google search for "Reedz" returns a set of restaurants in Singapore ONLY. Are you supposed to proofread translations of restaurant menus?
I bet, their email address is a gmail or hotmail.

2) The "payment would work in a form of "Share per revenue" - no, it wouldn't work, you will simply receive nothing for your work. They will say you that they got no revenues, so they cannot pay you.

Never accept any jobs for unknown 'outourcers' who do not provide their full and verifyable contact information.

[Edited at 2021-01-25 12:52 GMT]

Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Aline Amorim
Tina Vonhof (X)
Sheila Wilson

Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Brazil
Local time: 12:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much! Jan 25, 2021

Natalie wrote:

Eduardo Davi Geraldo wrote:

1) Google search for "Reedz" returns a set of restaurants in Singapore ONLY. Are you supposed to proofread translations of restaurant menus?
I bet, their email address is a gmail or hotmail.

2) The "payment would work in a form of "Share per revenue" - no, it wouldn't work, you will simply receive nothing for your work. They will say you that they got no revenues, so they cannot pay you.

Never accept any jobs for unknown 'outourcers' who do not provide their full and verifyable contact information.

[Edited at 2021-01-25 12:52 GMT]

Thank you! They are working under the "@reedz.com" email but still look like a fake company.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:04
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Using a similar name to established businesses Jan 25, 2021

Reedsy is a well-known publishing platform that is open to proofreaders by invitation/qualification only. Apparently, another platform out there is called Readz, although I don't know anything more about it.

I would suggest that this Reedz is hoping you're going to jump to the conclusion that one of the above is contacting you.

Eduardo Davi Geraldo
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have you ever know about this company?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »