Gloria Černoch
Gloria Černoch
United States
Local time: 04:50
English to German
+ ...
Mar 3, 2020

Hello everyone.
I am just getting started and literally just set up my profile yesterday. Today, I have received an email from a non-member regarding a 43 page translation (general) with the offer to send a cashiers check once completed. Are services sometimes paid via cashiers check or am I just being gullible?
Any tips and advice for a newbie would be helpful. I would really appreciate it.

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 05:50
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
I have moved your post to the Scams forum because this is a common scam. Mar 3, 2020

Dear Gloria,

Welcome to ProZ.com! Glad to have you here.

I'm sorry to say that you have been contacted by a scammer. The check scam is very common across most online industries nowadays (illustrators, programmers and graphic designers are targeted as well). As a general rule, my advice is that you simply do not accept payments via check; unless you are working for the government or a local, legally registered, physically reachable company.

These two are
... See more
Dear Gloria,

Welcome to ProZ.com! Glad to have you here.

I'm sorry to say that you have been contacted by a scammer. The check scam is very common across most online industries nowadays (illustrators, programmers and graphic designers are targeted as well). As a general rule, my advice is that you simply do not accept payments via check; unless you are working for the government or a local, legally registered, physically reachable company.

These two are the fake check scams that show up most often:

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports#August_26.2C_2019:_Advance_payment_.2F_impersonation_of_ProZ.com_member:_translation_of_Research_Project_on_Agricultural_reforms_in_EU

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports#July_01.2C_2019:_Advance_payment_.2F_overpayment_scam:_Document_worth_11.2C643_words_.2844_pages.29:_.22Public_Organisations_Procedures_Research.22

Now, allow me to share some risk-management resources with you, for the future:

First, if you go to ProZ.com's Translator Scam Alerts, you can find a dedicated page with a list of all the reported scams. Some of the entries include email addresses and/or email formats that scammers use to trick translators, along with information about their modus operandi: https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

Next, you may also want to check ProZ.com's Scams forum, where translators share their experiences and any information that comes their way to protect each other: https://www.proz.com/forum/scams-946.html

Last, but not least, looking up the email addresses in this database of known scammers might be of help: http://www.translator-scammers.com/translator-scammers-emails.htm

Now, if you have received a job offer that seems kind of suspicious, but the previous resources didn't help in clearing your doubts, don't despair. Submit a support request with as much information as possible, and ProZ.com staff will be happy to help.

Last, if you want to forward your exchanges with this scammer so that I can block their email and IP address, please send a support request. You can get to the form quickly using this link: https://www.proz.com/support?mode=ask

Stay safe, and don't hesitate to reach out to the ProZ.com team if you need help getting started with the site.

Kind regards,

Andrea
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Gloria Černoch
Gloria Černoch
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Mar 3, 2020

Andrea - thank you so much for your quick response and your detailed input. I've sent a copy of the email received to the indicated email address in order for you to be able to add it to the scam list.

Again, I really appreciate it.

Gloria

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Is there nothing that can be done to stop/reduce this problem? Mar 3, 2020

Andrea Capuselli wrote:
I'm sorry to say that you have been contacted by a scammer. The check scam is very common across most online industries nowadays (illustrators, programmers and graphic designers are targeted as well).

We keep hearing from newbies who have been contacted immediately after they register -- well, we've heard from at least a few, so there are bound to be a lot more than a few. Could ProZ.com do more to give a warning when people register? Something more than a link to somewhere that might not get followed?

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth
Josephine Cassar
Alison Jenner
Ester Vidal
ahartje
Joe France

Andrea Capuselli
Andrea Capuselli
Local time: 05:50
SITE STAFF
SITE LOCALIZER
Some measures ProZ.com takes to protect translators Mar 3, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:
We keep hearing from newbies who have been contacted immediately after they register -- well, we've heard from at least a few, so there are bound to be a lot more than a few. Could ProZ.com do more to give a warning when people register? Something more than a link to somewhere that might not get followed?

Dear Sheila,

Thank you for your input.

ProZ.com staff takes measures every day to fight off scammers. We detect IPs and browsers that are mass-emailing and swiftly block them, track the "spam lists" from different sources (such as StopForumSpam), and have multiple filters in place that detect suspicious word combinations (such as "44 pages"), as well as keep an eye on the forums and contact people who may have useful information.

However, while the ProZ.com support team is comprised of about a dozen people, these scams make up a multi-million industry, the scale of which is still mostly unknown. At the moment, the most effective method to combat these scammers remains informing as many people as possible of their methods.

I, and the entirely team, appreciate the time you take to warn and inform your colleagues.

I hope this clears your concern to some degree. Thank you for your support of the site!

Kind regards,

Andrea

Yolanda Broad

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Exactly my thought Mar 4, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Andrea Capuselli wrote:
I'm sorry to say that you have been contacted by a scammer. The check scam is very common across most online industries nowadays (illustrators, programmers and graphic designers are targeted as well).

Could the staff post a warning to new members?

Lee

IrinaN
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Yuko M.

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 03:50
English to Russian
+ ...
Maybe my old suggestion will sound less crazy and more justified now Mar 4, 2020

For what it's worth.

We all know about the sites where you absolutely can not move forward, say, open an account, before entering certain data and/or hitting Accept buttons. The site will simply stop you in your tracks. Is there a way to create a warning page somewhere in the middle of the registration process, a page short but flashy enough to force people to read it, accept and only then finish the registration? Just like you can't buy a plane ticket online before accepting the ru
... See more
For what it's worth.

We all know about the sites where you absolutely can not move forward, say, open an account, before entering certain data and/or hitting Accept buttons. The site will simply stop you in your tracks. Is there a way to create a warning page somewhere in the middle of the registration process, a page short but flashy enough to force people to read it, accept and only then finish the registration? Just like you can't buy a plane ticket online before accepting the rules about hazardous materials.

It will save Proz team a lot of time and energy, otherwise spent on ... I better stop here
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Michele Fauble
Jorge Payan
Yuko M.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Once again, cashier's checks Mar 4, 2020

You can protect yourself from being scammed by telling the prospective client: "Sorry, no checks accepted. Bank wire transfer or PayPal only". If they are legit, they will have no problem. I think if enough translators read these prospective scammers the riot act, they will get the idea and move on to other things, like money laundering, etc.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Gloria Černoch
Gloria Černoch
United States
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 4, 2020

Thank you all for chiming in. I've missed most of these responses. I'm still getting acquainted with this site and reading through forums, working on getting my profile finished. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated. I do have to say, while it will take me a while to navigate through everything, I do appreciate the quick response and help that I have gotten from our administrator here and from all of you guys. Gives a newbie like myself comfort. So, thanks again.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
The new old overpayment scam Apr 18, 2020

Just received in my e-mail box:

David Jackson [email protected]
To lee

Hi, I'm contacting you in regard to an English document content worth 11,668 words (43 Pages). I need this document translated into Moldovan and I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you possible, Thank you.

... See more
Just received in my e-mail box:

David Jackson [email protected]
To lee

Hi, I'm contacting you in regard to an English document content worth 11,668 words (43 Pages). I need this document translated into Moldovan and I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get
back to me as soon as you possible, Thank you.

Best regard,
David.

PS. They are getting "cheaper" - they reduced the translation to 43 pages (from 44) in order to pay less. What cheapskate!

Stay safe,
lee

[Edited at 2020-04-19 03:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-19 15:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-04-19 15:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of a 43 page document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »