Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Ana Raffo
Ana Raffo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I've been translating for two weeks for the same guy!!! :( Nov 9, 2020

Hello everyone!

I am most shocked. I was never subject to anything like this. I still don't understand how these scams work. I agreed with the same guy, Nicolai Røysland, on doing the Spanish translation due Nov 16th. He insisted on paying the full amount, and not only that but the money corresponding to a supposedly second phase that came up along the way. The money was reflected on my account on the 3rd, and removed on the 6th entirely (checked returned by my bank as an altered/
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am most shocked. I was never subject to anything like this. I still don't understand how these scams work. I agreed with the same guy, Nicolai Røysland, on doing the Spanish translation due Nov 16th. He insisted on paying the full amount, and not only that but the money corresponding to a supposedly second phase that came up along the way. The money was reflected on my account on the 3rd, and removed on the 6th entirely (checked returned by my bank as an altered/fictitious item. I stumbled upon this awful surprised yesterday when I got into my account to make a refund to him for the phase 2 (supposedly cancelled and postponed due to some kind of tragedy suffered by his sponsor). So, here I am, after having worked my butt off for 2 weeks, with not even the 30% deposit I had originally asked for. I came across this thread today as soon as I typed the title of the document hoping that I would find some further information about the seminar where he said the document would be presented.
This guy hasn't replied to my emails or text messages ever since I told him about the check return, so I called my bank and reported the situation. They said their fraud department is working on the issue. Now, how do these scams work? My bank assured me that this guy can't access to my account information, or my account. I feel really puzzled and frustrated. I had never come across something like this in the 20+ years I've worked as a translator. I am so grateful for every single nice and honest client that came my way, no matter how insignificant the work might have been.

yugoslavia wrote:

Here is the copy of the message that I received from that person:

Hello! I am contacting you for my document
translation from English to Spanish formal version and I
would like to know if you
are available to get it done for me? Get back to me for
further details. Thanks

The name of the person is Nicolai Røysland .
Collapse

Mateus Gonçalves
Xiaoju (AJ) Zhang
greentree333
Elizabeth Chivers
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Ana Raffo
Ana Raffo  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Name, address and telephone number of scammer under the name of Nicolai Røysland Nov 10, 2020

Natalie wrote:

yugoslavia wrote:
Can you please tell me if you have the IP Address of the scammer?
I posted the IP Address in this forum. Is he located in North Carolina or Tennessee?

IPs used by scammers are spoofed and have nothing to do with the real location. Forum users are asked to provide IPs only with the purpose of blocking them (which makes the scammers' life a bit more difficult but does not prevent them from changing their IP and continue scamming users).

You need to learn main things about scams in order to be able to discern scammers from genuine outsourcers.

Hi there,

Replying to "yugoslavia," here is the name and address and telephone number of the guy as it appeared on his e-mails. No idea about his IP address:

Nicolai Røysland
4704 Burton Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104
Phone Number: ‪(423) 788-6032‬

Heather Fremont

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 07:02
Romanian to English
+ ...
Sorry to hear that, Nov 10, 2020

Unfortunately, like many others, you did not get into the habit of checking the SCAM forum at least once a week. These are the consequences!

It is a classic overpayment scam, explained here in detail n-times!

Name, e-mail address, IP address are irrelevant since this is a world-wide industry and the perpetrators can be from anywhere in the world with hired "arrows" in the target country.

Again, unfortunately, you learned it the hard way.

Get in
... See more
Unfortunately, like many others, you did not get into the habit of checking the SCAM forum at least once a week. These are the consequences!

It is a classic overpayment scam, explained here in detail n-times!

Name, e-mail address, IP address are irrelevant since this is a world-wide industry and the perpetrators can be from anywhere in the world with hired "arrows" in the target country.

Again, unfortunately, you learned it the hard way.

Get informed and stay safe,

lee
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 12:02
English to German
In memoriam
They want to steal your money Nov 10, 2020

Ana Raffo wrote:
This guy hasn't replied to my emails or text messages ever since I told him about the check return, so I called my bank and reported the situation. They said their fraud department is working on the issue. Now, how do these scams work? My bank assured me that this guy can't access to my account information, or my account. I feel really puzzled and frustrated. I had never come across something like this in the 20+ years I've worked as a translator. I am so grateful for every single nice and honest client that came my way, no matter how insignificant the work might have been.

Ana, it's all in the forums here and if you are around for decades, you should have seen it at least once a week here in the forums. I can't believe you still accept checks from unknown people. These fraudsters are not in the least interested in your work as a translator, and they are also not interested in your account information. What they want is your money, plain and simple. They want you to send them your money. By sending you a fake check, they trick you into believing you have been paid. In the next step, they tell you there has been some mix-up and you have been paid too much, so that you need to "return" or "forward" part of this amount. That is the way they trick you to transfer your money to them, since you actually did not receive anything from them and the fake check will bounce after days or months.

Ana Raffo wrote:
Replying to "yugoslavia," here is the name and address and telephone number of the guy as it appeared on his e-mails. No idea about his IP address:...

Do you really believe the scammer gave you their real name and address here? You can safely assume that everything is made up and they will try the same trick under a different name an hour later.

[Edited at 2020-11-10 15:37 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton
IrinaN

mimine44
mimine44
Local time: 05:02
English to French
Same thing happened to me, her name now is liz or linda parker Nov 10, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

FWIW, I got contacted yesterday by one valerie john about a potential translation job.

Service needed
Hello, I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,643 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Afrikaans I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can Thank you.
Best regards.

I replied positively, and got this reply:

Hello, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 26/September/2019.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards

Along with a 44-page attachment, starting with...

PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH
PHASE 1
What do organizations use conflict management for?
For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each team / department and individual. You also need ways of recognizing and resolving conflict amongst people, so that conflict does not become so serious that co-operation is impossible. All members of any organization need to have ways of keeping conflict to a minimum - and of solving problems caused by conflict, before conflict becomes a major obstacle to your work. This could happen to any organization, whether it is an NGO, a CBO, a political party, a business or a government.
Conflict management is the process of planning to avoid conflict where possible and organizing to resolve conflict where it does happen, as rapidly and smoothly as possible.
Important things to know about "conflict" and "conflict management":
The differences between "competition" and "conflict"
"Competition" usually brings out the best in people, as they strive to be top in their field, whether in sport, community affairs, politics or work. In fact, fair and friendly competition often leads to new sporting achievements, scientific inventions or outstanding effort in solving a community problem. When competition becomes unfriendly or bitter, though, conflict can begin - and this can bring out the worst in people.

This particular variant of the scam has also been reported here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Scams/comments/arr6mo/scam_public_organization_procedures_research/

[Edited at 2019-09-24 10:32 GMT]

Pujing Pan
Pujing Pan
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was recently targeted as well! Nov 12, 2020

Hi All,

I am probably the most recent victim (well not quite a victim since I have not lost anything yet). Just received 'Linda's' response:

Thanks so much for your response,...I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again th
... See more
Hi All,

I am probably the most recent victim (well not quite a victim since I have not lost anything yet). Just received 'Linda's' response:

Thanks so much for your response,...I agreed with your price quote and i am willing to pay for your service..This project is a research paper being sponsor for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so that you will know you have my job with you in the meantime. Once again the Payment option is Bank Draft , The payment will be received first and cleared by your bank before you send the document ..Kindly get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile Number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Once again payment will be received and cleared by your bank before you send the document.

What I don't understand is with the seemly non-critical info of mine, what damage could they possibly do to me?

thanks to all,
Pujing
Collapse

Enrique Noguer
Enrique Noguer
France
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam continued Nov 13, 2020

Hello,
Got the same one today, from a Lucy Harry, beware all you hard working translators!

Anxo Pereira Suárez
Anxo Pereira Suárez
Spain
Spanish to Galician
+ ...
Scam Warning November 2020 EN>ES - What do organizations use conflict management for? Nov 14, 2020

Just to let you know that this scam is still active on the Internet. This time I was contacted by someone pretending to be a "Lucy Harry". The e-mail address the scam came from is: [email protected]

The text starts this way:

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its
goals, the people in the organization need to have a s
... See more
Just to let you know that this scam is still active on the Internet. This time I was contacted by someone pretending to be a "Lucy Harry". The e-mail address the scam came from is: [email protected]

The text starts this way:

For any organization to be effective and efficient in achieving its
goals, the people in the organization need to have a shared vision of
what they are striving to achieve, as well as clear objectives for each
team / department and individual....

Stay alert!

Best wishes to my fellow colleagues!

Anxo PS
Collapse

Nicole Abbott
Nicole Abbott
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well I guess this keeps happening Dec 9, 2020

Unfortunately I came upon this too late, and I got scammed twice. I'm fully fuming and upset with myself that I didn't go with my gut. Here are the original emails, I should have known better. But it's the same story that there was a death in the family and the sponsor needs the money. Something didn't feel right but when I went to the bank they said everything should be fine. Guess they don't know much either.

Greeting,I need your service,will you be available to
translate E
... See more
Unfortunately I came upon this too late, and I got scammed twice. I'm fully fuming and upset with myself that I didn't go with my gut. Here are the original emails, I should have known better. But it's the same story that there was a death in the family and the sponsor needs the money. Something didn't feel right but when I went to the bank they said everything should be fine. Guess they don't know much either.

Greeting,I need your service,will you be available to
translate English document into Spanish ? Reply to (
[email protected] ) Regards.Beth

Hello Nicole, I am contacting you for my document
translation from English to Spanish formal version and I
would like to know if you are available to get it done for me? Get back to me for further
details. Thanks

And they carry the conversation so naturally, so I guess it's a team of scammers working together. This is just upsetting especially when you're trying to do honest work.
Collapse

Trevor Wiseman
Trevor Wiseman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Still at it Dec 11, 2020

I was contacted by Liz Jaquess, they are using forged checks that get declined the next day and then request you return money for the payment because some one in the patron family died.

Ji Won Sea

Valérie Martineau
Valérie Martineau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I received that document too Dec 11, 2020

Received an email from Liz Jaques to translate that very document from English to French. Thank to this thread, I won't go any further on this matter with the scammer (I only supplied the cost for the translation before seeing these warnings here).

TB CommuniCAT

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
I have been approached Dec 14, 2020

I was contacted by Liz Jacques who specifically wanted to work with French Canadian translator. Please be aware!

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:02
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
contacted by frank taylor Dec 19, 2020

I was contacted by someone called frank taylor (email: [email protected]) today with the exact request for "an English content document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages)" which turned out to be that "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1". Then luckily I found this post. Thank you!

*** emails ***

I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to tran
... See more
I was contacted by someone called frank taylor (email: [email protected]) today with the exact request for "an English content document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages)" which turned out to be that "PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1". Then luckily I found this post. Thank you!

*** emails ***

I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the mean time, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 22nd of December 2020.

Best Regards,

On Friday, December 18, 2020, LB Translation wrote:

Please send me the document. I will give you a quote if it is something I can handle. If you are not an agency, half or full payment of the document may need to be paid in advance.

Best regards,
Ted

Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 11:43 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Need a professional Chinese Translator

Hello,

I'm contacting you in regard to an English content document worth 11,638 words (44 Pages). I need this document translated into Chinese. I would like to know if you are interested and available to get this done for me. Please get back to me as soon as you can Thank you.
Best regard,
Taylor.
Collapse

Weiping Tang

Lisa Russell
Lisa Russell  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Repeat scam, different name this time Dec 22, 2020

Glad I thought to check this forum after receiving the following message on December 19, 2020:
A ProZ.com user visited your ProZ.com profile and sent the following message.

Author: Larissa
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 88.99.220.218
-----------
Hey there? will you be available to translate English document into Spanish
... See more
Glad I thought to check this forum after receiving the following message on December 19, 2020:

[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 88.99.220.218
-----------
Hey there? will you be available to translate English document into Spanish ? Reply to ( [email protected] ) if you are not in U.S.A please don't reply.Larissa

I responded, asking the subject matter and word count to see if I would have sufficient time to complete the project by the deadline and received this in return:

Thanks so much for your swift response. I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 21 of -December-2020. I'm proposing Cashier Check ,You will receive the Check and clear your bank before you send the document.

I look forward to reading from you soon.

Regards.

My last communication to Larisa/Larissa was to let her know the fee for the translation, half to be paid up front, and only paypal payment would be accepted. Haven't heard anything from her since.
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Tip-off Dec 22, 2020

Lisa Russell wrote:

-----------
Hey there? will you be available to translate English document into Spanish ? Reply to ( [email protected] ) if you are not in U.S.A please don't reply.Larissa

The non-logged-in sender is an immediate tip-off, as is the non-specificity of the type of document to be translated.
Likewise, protonmail.com is a free email system increasingly favored by scammers as an alternative to gmail.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »